Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times

Advertisements

I don't know. the tax code is ridiculous to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
As a married person I do not get any benefits that single people don't get other than being able to ride in the ambulance if my DH is taken to the hospital or the new last name. I don't get any tax write offs or anything like that for being married. I'm not sure if that changes when you have a higher income (we are not necessarily low income, but we make less than 75K a year) but I know for sure we don't get any tax cuts for being married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
very scary when 80% of your voters say NO to it.

wait a second...are you talking about winning or losing an election?

Politicians always change their stances to 'go with the flow'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
I am neither Rep. or Dem., but I just wanted to comment on here that as an Independant I really think that the stance of "redefining marriage" is a intolerant one. To me, a committed same sex couple is the same thing as being married and I don't see why they can't just recognize that legally. Is it so scary for a polititian to actually support same-sex rights? I don't understand why there is not one person who will stand up and say I don't see a problem with it. Sheesh!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I wish there were more independents like you! Would you submit to being cloned?
Seconded - great post by MissMartha!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
49% of delegates to Republican convention support civil unions/gay marriage
Gay Republicans: GOP on 'wrong side of history' - CNN.com

various polls on support/no support for civil unions/gay rights
http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

Old 10-03-2008, 03:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
100% false. homosexuality is a choice and it's not debatable. you either choose to sleep with guys, or you choose to sleep with girls. you are born gay, but the acts of homosexuality, as well as heterosexuality are choices.
I disagree with you, and there is no way to prove that either one of us is right.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Yeah yeah.....give them marriage rights.....have them sign up to the deal....come one come all.

Meanwhile back on the ranch those rights given to you because your married are about to sky rocket. You like the death tax....

Probably should not have said that...

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/wm1973.cfm
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/wm1968.cfm
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/wm1891.cfm

Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I'm heterosexual, but what got me, was the look on her face when she answered that question. She looked like her head was going to explode. She looked like even having to talk about it was painful for her.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, not gay people. I don't think married people should get benefits not extended to singles. I am not sure if they do, but some have been saying they get tax benefits. maybe I am wrong, I don't know. I only know how to do my own taxes.

i know that married couples are taxed at a MUCH lower rate when only one of them works when it comes to federal, State taxes. of course, the ones with kids save even more on those taxes despite the fact that they use more of the governments' services.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:48 PM

To some people they were raised that way, and others have religious beliefs.

There are gays/lesbians who do support McCain/Palin.
They ACTUALLY believe in not mixing religion with politics.
That's why they dont care about what Palin beliefs are.

They're concerned with what will happen with this economy, and they believe McCain/Palin is the answer.

There are a lot of people who say we shouldnt mix religion with politics but yet they still look at Palin's beliefs. I have seen many threads of users 'inventing' stuff about her beliefs that she doesnt even believe in, but they want to associate all the stuff with her.

I dont believe in a lot of stuff they say but I'm still going to support/pray for our next President. This isn't the time to be sqabbling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm heterosexual, but what got me, was the look on her face when she answered that question. She looked like her head was going to explode. She looked like even having to talk about it was painful for her.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM

I think gay couples generally want the life & health insurance rights more than taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i know that married couples are taxed at a MUCH lower rate when only one of them works when it comes to federal, State taxes. of course, the ones with kids save even more on those taxes despite the fact that they use more of the governments' services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections