Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:58 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
In the 1950s being African-American was a weird perversion as well, was it not? In the 1970s interracial marriage was a weird perversion as well, was it not? In the 1700s the Native Americans were a weird perversion as well, were they not? Americans have been wrong in the past. What makes you so positive that they can't be mistaken once again, especially now that science is coming closer and closer to proving that sexual orientation is NOT a "conscious choice." When did you "choose to be straight?"
One cannot hide his "blackness" nor should they try. One need NOT advertise their sexuality. I don't care what consenting adults do amongst themselves but KEEP it to themselves. Sorry, poor analogy so no, they were not. Born straight and DO NOT make it an issue <mod edit>

Last edited by domergurl; 10-03-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well my love affair with Governor Palin ended last night when even after prefacing her comments with "I hope I don't sound intolerant..." she proceeded to offend me by saying that we had a "chosen lifestyle" and that she did not support ANY benefits of ANY sort for same-sex couples. Sen. Biden made it crystal clear that neither he nor Sen. Obama supported same-sex marriage (which is fine by me). However, he also proceeded to mention that he thought it was essential for same-sex couples to have hospital visitation rights, insurance/medical benefits, etc. the same as any heterosexual couple. When the moderator asked Gov. Palin if she agreed with Sen. Biden, she said (I'm going to paraphrase here) "I completely oppose redefining marriage to anything other than being between one man and one woman, and I worry that those would all take us in that direction." You have GOT to be kidding me! Permitting me to see my dying partner in the hospital is going to force gay marriage upon us? I don't think any heterosexual Republican with a shroud of intellect would be opposed to same-sex couples having hospital visitation rights guaranteed to them, yet apparently Sarah "dodge the question" Palin IS opposed?

Any gay/lesbian Republicans out there care to explain to me how you can STILL be supporting her after that enraging debacle?
Doesn't that just crack you up! A choice? Don't you have to have options in order to have a choice? So if a hetty chooses to be straight then they must have had homosexual feeling at one time or another... so they CHOSE to be straight???? Yes, I was offended and embarrassed for her as well..so 1960's! Wake Up lady!!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
Well firstly the government has to get its hands out of "marriage". If marriage is a religious sacrament then it's definition is between a man and a woman as most religions would define it. Since we have seperated Church from State ages ago, the government should be granting civil unions and not marriages. Once that is settled straight couples and gay couples can both attain through legal protection of certain rights from their state government, neither should this be a federal government issue. Remember the words of our founding fathers ... The government is only there to protect property and not take away, once they start taking away your property and your rights, they thus become destructive. The powers not delegates to the federal government would belong to the states and the people as it should be.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
DOMERGURL: Thank you!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
arent lesbians gay

Old 10-03-2008, 05:26 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
city414 This message has been deleted by domergurl. Reason: orphaned
why you delete my box of froot loops? so the box of froot loops is a symbolic form of gay and lesbianism?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't see how any gay or lesbian person can be a republican considering what they stand for.

But ... Biden also agrees with her on the civil union aspects. No candidate supports gay marriage.
And THAT is what bothers me. When are we going to get a democratic nominee who actually stands up & proclaims that yes, gays have the exact same rights as all of us, there WILL be gay marriage w/me in office! I would have the utmost respect for that person.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
why you delete my box of froot loops? so the box of froot loops is a symbolic form of gay and lesbianism?
orphaned means that the post that you quoted was deleted, that's why your response was deleted. Not that what you may have posted was offensive in anyway.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Well to get back on topic.
Yes Palin disappointed me last night.
While Badin was not significantly better (vis-a-vis his stance on same sex relationships)
I felt her response more disengenous, and she used that choice word w/c I know is incorrect (and I am not going to debate this, I know how I feel)
I doubt we will see a candidate that will be pro gay marriage in a long time, we're not living in Canada.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:03 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
arent lesbians gay

Perhaps some but they have a high suicide rate so many are probably not that happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections