Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:00 AM

690 posts, read 1,016,615 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been pretty engrossed in all of the campaigns from early on in the primaries. I watched how ugly the Hilary - Obama campaigns got, but I must admit, it is nothing like what we have now between McCain and Obama!

Watching the McCain/Palin crowds who are not only misinformed but are down right hateful. Some of the things they are chanting could certainly cause a lot of harm. I mean it, almost looks like they want to start riots!

Then here on City Data we are seeing a lot of the same thing. People here are no longer trying to argue their point of views...now it is all about the gatchya game. We all know you are not going to change someones vote here so now it is all about racists, sexist, etc. remarks that are just intended to **** people off. The venom posted here is down right disgusting!

Lets face it...the McCain supporters are behind him no matter what happens. Same thing for the Obama fans. And on that note, the Barr fans and the Paul fans are no different! (They just hate everybody! )

So what we have now is a truly divided country. No matter who gets into office, they are going to have a challenge that is nearly impossible to beat. Having a divided country who doesn't support the president is certainly not going to help him. My question is if your candidate does NOT win, are you going to be able to support the new president after a bit of time? Maybe after he proves himself a bit and/or after the initial pain wears off?

I will start off:
As an Obama supporter, I would support McCain/Palin as I know just how hard the next 4 years are going to be. He will have to make some of the hardest decisions of his life and I would hope that he keeps us working folks in mind as much as the CEO's. (I think he will...) I know he will not keep most of his campaign promises (This applies to both canidates!) due to the economy so I will not hold that against him.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,022 times
Brilliant post! I totally agree! I too have been disgusted why I have seen, people calling Barack's dead mom a *****, people saying he wrote a paper on Russia in college so he must be a commie.. down to 'I spell better than you so I must be Ivy material'

Nice to have an intelligent thought provoking event.. This country was divided 4 years ago, the GOP encouring the evangelists to vote for W to ensure that gay neighbors won't move in next to them and recruit their children...

Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,447,842 times
I agree.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:08 AM

307 posts, read 716,162 times
Wow Brian you hit the nail on the head! I have never seen anything like this and I find it sad. No matter who is the president it's going to be rough for him. But.... I hope it's Obama

Old 10-11-2008, 10:09 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,771,322 times
While you *** on with such authority about how this country is divided, what are you doing to rectify the division? And do you think that ALL McCain/Palin supporters are as violent as what you see on the boob tube? Of course, the media highlights the riotous folks anyway, it make for good news to some. And I'd dare say the percentage of CD posters to the country at large is tiny, very tiny.

Me? I just don't make absurd statements or yell out in a crowd. In fact, I hate crowds. So you won't be seeing me at any rallies or other political functions. Nor do I watch the boob tube along with the boobs.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,324,333 times
Nothing new under the sun here.

Thomas Jefferson proclaimed himself champion of the common citizen, but pro-John Adams papers said he represented "cut-throats who walk in rags and sleep amidst filth and vermin." Jefferson's camp alleged that Adams had two mistresses specially imported from England. Adams's camp made an issue of Jefferson's affair with one of his black slaves and warned that he would legalize prostitution. They also charged that Jefferson favored adultery, incest, and the spearing of children. Not quite the dignified image of our Founding Fathers that you gleaned from textbooks.

Andrew Jackson's supporters nicknamed John Quincy Adams "The Pimp" because he introduced the tsar of Russia to a young woman, with whom the tsar later had an affair. They also charged that Adams had installed "gambling furniture" in the White House (he had bought a pool table). From the president's followers came this mature rejoinder: "General Jackson's mother was a COMMON PROSTITUTE brought to this country by British soldiers! She afterward married a MULATTO MAN, with whom she had several children, of which number General Jackson IS ONE!!"

The election of 1876 (if you believed the dueling campaign literature) came down to a choice between an alcoholic, syphilitic con artist (Samuel Tilden) and a man so venal he robbed corpses on the battlefield during the Civil War and once shot a gun at his own mother (Rutherford B. Hayes).

In short, American politics was never an elegant debating club guided by the values of Miss Manners.

The current campaign of 2008 is downright civil in light of history!

Last edited by mullman; 10-11-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,455,535 times
It's the politics of division. Lee Atwater and then his disciple Karl Rove. And it worked. American voters seem to be a little smarter this election cycle, but in the past have repeatedly shown that they respond more to attacks, fear, and negative campaigning than they do to positive, issue-based campaigning. And since it's been proven to work, everybody does it.

If it's to stop, it's up to the American people to stop it.

Here's an idea - how about demanding that candidates say not one damned word about their opponents? That they can only talk about themselves, their experience, and their stand on issues? Wouldn't that be refreshing?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,078,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I have been pretty engrossed in all of the campaigns from early on in the primaries. I watched how ugly the Hilary - Obama campaigns got, but I must admit, it is nothing like what we have now between McCain and Obama!

Watching the McCain/Palin crowds who are not only misinformed but are down right hateful. Some of the things they are chanting could certainly cause a lot of harm. I mean it, almost looks like they want to start riots!

What say you?
WATCH THESE

YouTube - McCain to Rally Crowd: "I Want Everyone to Be Respectful"

YouTube - McCain Tries to Tame Flames

YouTube - McCain: "You Do Not Have To Be Scared" of Obama as President

Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,688,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Here's an idea - how about demanding that candidates say not one damned word about their opponents? That they can only talk about themselves, their experience, and their stand on issues? Wouldn't that be refreshing?
So if your opponent has done bad things you're supposed to just ignore it and act like it didn't happen?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM

171 posts, read 261,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
HiI would support McCain/Palin as I know just how hard the next 4 years are going to be.
What say you?
..Paranoia is a very serious disease. ..
your are very poor girl .. without a brain ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections