Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Really? Why don't you post some objective sources to back you up on that?

That poor people will suffer if rich people are taxed 11.5% more???
jobs will be eliminated to cover it. you think 11.5% is nothing? how about everyone under $250k pay the EXACT SAME TAX.

obama also said he would consider a flat tax and to the tune of 40%

it is estimated that 22%-23% would have to be required just to support the current spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
All those rich people aren't rich anymore because they've been taxed so much. Then who does he tax?
Well let's think about this for just a moment. McCain raises taxes on the middle and low income. That's okay, correct?

Obama wants to raise taxes on those making over $250 K a year. And you're saying that's a bad thing? How much do you make?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
your incredibly naive if you don't think he will.

my father has a small business. employs 8 people. the state of michigan has already raised taxes so much this year that he is barely holding on. michigan had a deficit of 1.5 billion they have to come up with the difference some how, they raised many taxes 4 of which effected him directly. add to that the payroll accounts problems with available credit, the banks are faced with. which he normally draws on similar to a equity line of credit. then you pay it back. since his business is seasonal. they cut his available balance, even with no late payments and perfect credit.

which means if obama gets into office he will have to lay 1 person off just to cover his income taxes. he does not want to do this.

he has a lot of clients who are struggling in michigans economy as it is now. if obama raises those taxes he plans on raising many many business' will go under.
What 4 state taxes were raised in Michigan?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
jobs will be eliminated to cover it. you think 11.5% is nothing? how about everyone under $250k pay the EXACT SAME TAX.

obama also said he would consider a flat tax and to the tune of 40%

it is estimated that 22%-23% would have to be required just to support the current spending.
Because you say?? Where are you getting this line that increasing taxes on the rich by 11.5% would cause unemployment to rise???

Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
my father has a small business. employs 8 people. the state of michigan has already raised taxes so much this year that he is barely holding on. michigan had a deficit of 1.5 billion they have to come up with the difference some how, they raised many taxes 4 of which effected him directly. add to that the payroll accounts problems with available credit, the banks are faced with. which he normally draws on similar to a equity line of credit. then you pay it back. since his business is seasonal. they cut his available balance, even with no late payments and perfect credit.
While I'm not on the verge of laying people off yet, I have put all of my companies on a hiring freeze and have begun strategizing the needed price increases to offset the tax increases. This year it was massive postage increases, next year taxes. I'm not worried though, I'll just pass the extra onto the consumers. Those people that have never made payroll will never get it..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Because you say?? Where are you getting this line that increasing taxes on the rich by 11.5% would cause unemployment to rise???
Think it through, I know your not that stupid to need it explained to you..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While I'm not on the verge of laying people off yet, I have put all of my companies on a hiring freeze and have begun strategizing the needed price increases to offset the tax increases. Those people that have never made payroll will never get it..
Thanks for the laugh. I'd rep you but I have to spread it around first.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
I am absolutely amazed that we're still discussing the poor plight of the rich.

Time and again I see the endless sighs talking about what will happen when the rich leave?! You're going to tax them until they're not rich anymore!

Yet there is virtually no mention of the fact that a greater disparity in economic classes exists here than has ever existed in our history. It is also greater than that of other countries despite all those taxes that are beleaguering the rich.

Funniest of all is that there is rarely a mention of the reverse. If the rich create and give the jobs it is the poor or little man that do said jobs. My gripe is if you're going to gripe about the poor rich then lets also gripe about the poor middle and lower classes.

I'm reminded of the Newboys strikes in NYC in 1890 something. The rich made the world go round by giving out jobs but the poor made the world stop when they refused to do said jobs.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While I'm not on the verge of laying people off yet, I have put all of my companies on a hiring freeze and have begun strategizing the needed price increases to offset the tax increases. This year it was massive postage increases, next year taxes. I'm not worried though, I'll just pass the extra onto the consumers. Those people that have never made payroll will never get it..
[mod cut]

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...___medium_.jpg

Better not vote Democratic guys if you want your jobs...LOL

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-22-2008 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: let's not get too personal please!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Funniest of all is that there is rarely a mention of the reverse. If the rich create and give the jobs it is the poor or little man that do said jobs. My gripe is if you're going to gripe about the poor rich then lets also gripe about the poor middle and lower classes.
Yeah, lets all gripe about how the poor in america are far from poor..

And lets do it without bringing up the fact that everytime minimum wage or governmental mandates are imposed, the unemployment levels are raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections