Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times

Advertisements

Awesomeo-

We're not all suburbanites. I grew up in them, lived in Manhattan for a while, lived right in downtown St. Pete, FL (NOT to be confused with the suburban areas of St. Pete) and now am on the border of suburban/urban. I may move to the country but I LOVE cities and agree with the stuff you've said. I hate the suburbs, though understand why they appeal to some. They have zero appeal to me though except that sometimes they have nice parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM

442 posts, read 790,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Large cities are liberal because they're more diverse.
You mean full of minorities dying for entitlements that Dems promise to them?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
You mean full of minorities dying for entitlements that Dems promise to them?
why do people automatically assume diversity=race??

cities are more diverse in terms of race, education, income, etc. people who live in cities are exposed to more things than those in rural and suburban areas. that tends to make them more liberal.

granted, more blacks are Dems than Repubs, but there are more reasons for this besides perceived "handouts"

Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
There is more diversity in the cities!
In other words, there are more minorities.

Detroit is 90% black.
95% of blacks vote democrat.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-06-2008 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: report negative posts rather than demand the thread be closed thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
In other words, there are more minorities.

Detroit is 90% black.
95% of blacks vote democrat.

Thread closed!
again, diversity=/= more minorities. and anyways, how does that explain the fact that the South has more blacks than New England, yet the South is almost always red, and NE is almost always blue?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM

972 posts, read 1,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Red and Blue Maps
NY Times Maps
(make sure to check out County Bubbles to see what I'm talking about)

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have lived in both types of places, as I have.

Personally, I think when you live in a big city it becomes very clear to you that your quality of life is dependent on the people around you. That if there are a lot of homeless/poor people it tends to bring more crime. I also think you see the poverty and you want to do something about it. Whereas when you live in a small town you are insulated from diverse economic situations and it becomes more of a "I don't see any problem around me so it must not be there" kind of situation. What do you think?
Pulpit Politics.

All those hypocrite churches preaching who to vote for based on so called moral issues, same people who can not figure out America is not a Theocracy. I say we start to revoke their tax-except status since it's illegal otherwise.

I also agree think they are not exposed to diversity and can not see beyond their own nose.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
again, diversity=/= more minorities. and anyways, how does that explain the fact that the South has more blacks than New England, yet the South is almost always red, and NE is almost always blue?
GREAT point!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM

532 posts, read 908,993 times
I grew up in a small town, but I've always been a "liberal" because my parents were. I think people like me are more likely to want to move to a big city because we saw it as something exciting and vibrant when we were younger. All the more "conservative" people I grew up with are still living in that same town, mostly married with lots of kids. I don't think any of them felt drawn to the city like I was.
As for diversity, when I moved to Philadelphia from my all white small town, it was a big change in my world perception. I had always been taught not to judge by the color of skin, but there had never been anyone but white people around me. Living in a mostly black and poor neighborhood was definitely an eye opener. I still think of that neighborhood as one of the friendliest I ever lived in.
Looking back, I think of my small town as very closed-minded. I think of cities as very diverse and open with lots of variety. You've still got your bible-thumpers, but you also have many other points of view. So for me, I think the city is a better representation of the world as a whole than a small town. I see myself more as a citizen of the planet than of one small place, and I care what happens to everyone, even if they aren't like me.
I do think there's some fear involved. People in small towns might be frightened of big cities because there is so much variety in opinion. I guess if your world revolves around you and people like you it is intimidating to think of all these different people who don't agree with you.
Interesting to think about.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Large cities are liberal because they're more diverse.
I really think that you should read this.

The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe

Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I grew up in a small town, but I've always been a "liberal" because my parents were. I think people like me are more likely to want to move to a big city because we saw it as something exciting and vibrant when we were younger. All the more "conservative" people I grew up with are still living in that same town, mostly married with lots of kids. I don't think any of them felt drawn to the city like I was.
As for diversity, when I moved to Philadelphia from my all white small town, it was a big change in my world perception. I had always been taught not to judge by the color of skin, but there had never been anyone but white people around me.

Just so we are clear, you were living in a small, white town when you were taught not to judge people by the color of skin.

Living in a mostly black and poor neighborhood was definitely an eye opener. I still think of that neighborhood as one of the friendliest I ever lived in.
Looking back, I think of my small town as very closed-minded. I think of cities as very diverse and open with lots of variety. You've still got your bible-thumpers, but you also have many other points of view. So for me, I think the city is a better representation of the world as a whole than a small town. I see myself more as a citizen of the planet than of one small place, and I care what happens to everyone, even if they aren't like me.
I do think there's some fear involved.

People in small towns might be frightened of big cities because there is so much variety in opinion.

Or the fact that the job they do is located in a small town or that they live in the small town, yet commute to the big city to work. It's also more expensive to live in the city.

I guess if your world revolves around you and people like you it is intimidating to think of all these different people who don't agree with you.
Interesting to think about.

Haven't seen many riots in suburbia or rural areas. Seen plenty of them in cities though.
I actually don't disagree with everything you say, but you make it seem like people who choose to live in the city are more capable of being open-minded and less stubborn than those that live in the suburbs.

I just don't understand why people knock those that don't live in the city or seem to think they are missing out on something. Where I'm from, we have lived in NYC for a while and decided to move out to the suburbs to raise a family. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As for rural areas, well, I don't live in a rural area, but I do know where most of the grain we consume comes from. Thank God there are people that choose to live in a rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections