Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Traditionally, cities have a larger minority population who historically have voted democratic. That's why they vote blue.
AMEN! Someone with a brain!

Cities also attract the bleeding heart liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 PM

532 posts, read 908,756 times
What particularly about cities do you think attracts us "bleeding heart liberals"?

For me, I couldn't wait to get to the city. I hated my town when I was a teen and I haven't gone back there for 10 years going on forever. I felt so out of place. I didn't believe any of the religious mumbo jumbo. I wanted to be an artist. I always had my nose in a book trying to escape from that place. Everything was so boring, predictable, the same people doing the same things day after day...
When we'd visit cities on field trips I just knew that was the place for me. The energy, the tall buildings, the bustle, the unpredictability- I got there as soon as I could and never looked back.
Thing is, I really don't care if people want to be religious and raise families and have the most exciting part of their day be sitting down to a family dinner. That's great and if it makes you happy I'm thrilled for you. But what I could never abide was the overwhelming judgment against those who were a little different. I couldn't stand having people constantly trying to force Jesus down my throat. I remember clearly my best friend in first grade explaining to me that I was going to go to hell.
I just could never see why it had to be such a problem if I wanted to do my own thing. To me that's just plain old ignorance and I will admit it has definitely prejudiced me against small towns because as soon as I got to the city where everyone is different all this stuff just melted away.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Red and Blue Maps
NY Times Maps
(make sure to check out County Bubbles to see what I'm talking about)

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have lived in both types of places, as I have.

Personally, I think when you live in a big city it becomes very clear to you that your quality of life is dependent on the people around you. That if there are a lot of homeless/poor people it tends to bring more crime. I also think you see the poverty and you want to do something about it. Whereas when you live in a small town you are insulated from diverse economic situations and it becomes more of a "I don't see any problem around me so it must not be there" kind of situation. What do you think?
here is another thought..

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
here is another thought..
Oh, for God's sake. Where does that drek come from?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for God's sake. Where does that drek come from?
Hey I live In Okla and my IQ is higher than that..LOL
But then again I did not vote for McCain either

I kinda thought it was interesting though. Sources for the data is on the bottom of the Chart.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
The IQ stuff seems manufactured; if it were real it wouldn't fit quite so perfectly.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The IQ stuff seems manufactured; if it were real it wouldn't fit quite so perfectly.
its from a study done to see if IQ of a population affects their wealth. it's real.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-06-2008 at 11:01 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Personally I think large cities are more liberal because of their funding. Just looking at the federal money spent on poverty. Buig ciries have 20% of teh nations poverty. *0% is in rural regions. But the big city urban araes get 80% of the finding. Then look at what is happening in the cities;many once properous big cities especially in the North east are becoming worse everyday to the point that they have large areas considered gettos in the classic sense. Inner ciry schools are the worse in the nation. People are fleeing them everyday. Their budgets are such that those remaining are burdened with high taxes but even this is not enough. The infrasture is failing.When they talk about themslves they always say "but we are diverse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections