Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

As I said earlier, there is plenty of rural poverty, too. It is sometimes more hidden, yet at the same time more obvious due to lower population density. I for one, don't have all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Yeah there's more hunting in rural areas, but do you really think that translates to knowing how to provide for yourselves without Wal-Mart? I think we'd all be pretty bad off.
I do agree that city people see more need for government assistance though. Many in the city depend on public transit to get to work and back. In the country that isn't an issue. You either drive or you don't go anywhere if your nearest neighbor is miles away.
And again I'll point to the fact that seeing homeless people is much different than imagining them. There ought to be somewhere they can get a meal and a place to sleep where they won't freeze to death- at least that's how I feel when I think about it.
I've spent a fair amount of time in a tent in the winter in VT, with -30 nights. For some of that time I relied heavily on hunting and fishing to keep fed. If a person doesn't want to freeze or starve while "homeless" they won't, but sitting on a street corner asking for handouts won't help. Though a city is the last place I'd want to be without a roof over my head.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Pulpit Politics.

All those hypocrite churches preaching who to vote for based on so called moral issues, same people who can not figure out America is not a Theocracy. I say we start to revoke their tax-except status since it's illegal otherwise.

I also agree think they are not exposed to diversity and can not see beyond their own nose.
What do you mean "illegal otherwise"? There are many tax-exempt groups out there, all non-profits, basically. This includes most schools, hospitals, arts groups and the like.

Define "they" and how "they" are not exposed to diversity or can't see beyond their own oses.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,847 times
DIVERSITY ppl, DIVERSITY.

Cities have a lot more ppl hanging out with each other, with different ideas, different backgrounds, different religions, different color, different culture, different country, so they get different perspectives on things, with worldly views on stuff.

Most town folks don't even have a passport, just look at Palin, the typical "red folk", haven't seen or hang around with ppl of different backgrounds, haven't gone to different places.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I've spent a fair amount of time in a tent in the winter in VT, with -30 nights. For some of that time I relied heavily on hunting and fishing to keep fed. If a person doesn't want to freeze or starve while "homeless" they won't, but sitting on a street corner asking for handouts won't help. Though a city is the last place I'd want to be without a roof over my head.
...yeah...at least in the wilderness there is a natural source of food.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
DIVERSITY ppl, DIVERSITY.

Cities have a lot more ppl hanging out with each other, with different ideas, different backgrounds, different religions, different color, different culture, different country, so they get different perspectives on things, with worldly views on stuff.

Most town folks don't even have a passport, just look at Palin, the typical "red folk", haven't seen or hang around with ppl of different backgrounds, haven't gone to different places.
Just HOW do you know this? Sarah Palin is ONE person. I used to live in rural Illinois, I just didn't see this dichotomy.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Red and Blue Maps
NY Times Maps
(make sure to check out County Bubbles to see what I'm talking about)

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have lived in both types of places, as I have.

Personally, I think when you live in a big city it becomes very clear to you that your quality of life is dependent on the people around you. That if there are a lot of homeless/poor people it tends to bring more crime. I also think you see the poverty and you want to do something about it. Whereas when you live in a small town you are insulated from diverse economic situations and it becomes more of a "I don't see any problem around me so it must not be there" kind of situation. What do you think?
I completly disagree with your notion that small town and country folk dont see poverty like city folk do.

in fact i would say it is the opposite. i was born in a community with one stop sign. my scholl was K-12 and had 700 in it. I now live in a very large city. I saw vastly more poverty in the country than I see in the city.

I KNEW folk who were dirt poor. I went to school with folk who had dirt floors in their house (and Im not 40 yet).

In the city I am insulated from poverty. I live in a nice neighborhood and drive on nice highways to work and eat in nice resturants.

Country folk understand the value of self reliance yet they also know their neighbors and when someone you know needs help, you just help.

City folk dont know the family next door. They dont care either. BUT they have that same human instinct to help folk in need.

The difference is country folk will offer their own help while city folk are too busy so instead they are more inclined to say "someone ought to do something about that"

That someone translates into "Government".

The notion that there is more diversity in the city is only part true. While there is greater cultural diversity, those in small towns and the country are actually in contact daily with people from vastly different economic strata. THAT is also diversity and country/small town folk are much more in contact with that form of diversity.

Simply put city folk sluff off thier personal responsibilites and pass it along to the government because they have insulated themselves from knowing their neighbors while Small town folk and country folk cant do that. They have known the last 4 generations of their neighbors all their lives.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:02 PM

532 posts, read 908,926 times
I do agree that most of the more "Red" type people in the small town where I grew up didn't do much to expand their horizons. I remember a friend's mom telling me she'd never been to the next town over. I mean, she had a few trucks- there's no reason not to go, but I guess she didn't see any reason to go. Not that their farm wasn't lovely and I still envy the idea of having horses- but I just can't understand not being a little curious about the world around you.
I think your world must get really small when you live a life like that. She sees herself and her family working hard to make ends meet but meeting them. So she thinks that anyone who works hard can succeed. But all along she doesn't realize that the family farm is a huge asset because she will always have the land and a place to live. And because her life has been sheltered, she doesn't think of all the children who are born with parents who don't care about them and not a dime to their names in cities where 1 bedroom apartments can cost as much as a farmhouse or much more. She thinks "All I need is Jesus- the Lord provides." When in reality the Lord has left many out in the cold. She doesn't understand how people can be homeless and she thinks its because they didn't try because that's all she knows. Then she listens to Rush Limbaugh and he solidifies these ideas and twists them into hate.
That's sort of the way I see it in some cases. Of course not everyone is the same.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM

There are people in Pittsburgh who have not ever been to Ohio, 35 miles away! That type of attitude is not a big city/small town dichotomy.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM

532 posts, read 908,926 times
And those Pittsburgh people who haven't been to Ohio- are they Republicans or Democrats? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections