Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM

532 posts, read 908,926 times

Advertisements

Red and Blue Maps
NY Times Maps
(make sure to check out County Bubbles to see what I'm talking about)

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have lived in both types of places, as I have.

Personally, I think when you live in a big city it becomes very clear to you that your quality of life is dependent on the people around you. That if there are a lot of homeless/poor people it tends to bring more crime. I also think you see the poverty and you want to do something about it. Whereas when you live in a small town you are insulated from diverse economic situations and it becomes more of a "I don't see any problem around me so it must not be there" kind of situation. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Large cities are liberal because they're more diverse.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,764 times
Because in cities there are way too many people to know each of them personally. Therefore, the people in the city become a statistic and a resource to be exploited. Conversely, with the lack of land in cities, they see it as precious and needing protection.

In rural areas, communities are more closely knit. Taking from Jim who worked hard to grow his body shop to give money to Bill who sits in front of the library and drinks all day is simply rewarding Bill for his destructive behavior. In contrast, land is plentiful. When you can look out your window and see 10,000 acres of untouched wilderness, building an oil rig on 2 acres doesn't seem so bad.

Those are just a couple examples, but there is definitely different perceptions in city versus country life. My coworkers don't see anything wrong with "taxing the rich," because they can't identify with "rich people." But when President Obama eliminates the Bush tax cuts, their taxes are going to increase, and they will find out what "taxing the rich" really means.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,146 times
Great thread!
People living in larger cities usually have access to better education and may be exposed to more "worldly" (some may say "liberal") views, which helps them be more tolerant and open minded, IMO.

I should add: I've lived in both areas. There are good/bad points to both.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM

493 posts, read 717,631 times
There is more diversity in the cities!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Personally, I think when you live in a big city it becomes very clear to you that your quality of life is dependent on the people around you. That if there are a lot of homeless/poor people it tends to bring more crime. I also think you see the poverty and you want to do something about it. Whereas when you live in a small town you are insulated from diverse economic situations and it becomes more of a "I don't see any problem around me so it must not be there" kind of situation. What do you think?
Think you nailed it. As a former city person now in a small town 200 miles from a truly diverse city and 100 miles from a somewhat diverse college, I think you sum up reasons for the differences very well.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I can tell you never lived in a city. You don't think neighborhoods in cities have close knit people? I lived in three small towns, and neighborhoods in Philly, Denver, and Pittsburgh. They all had people with values. My neighborhood I live in now is my favorite neighborhood ever.

Your post sounded full of ignorance. I am one of those people who want to save those last remaining acres of wilderness also. I can't drive throughout PA without seeing more and more sprawling junk going up on once untouched land. Republicans will never ever once support smart growth, but this is a argument for a different reason.
Oh ffs. Because I propose something that isn't based on the idea that "Republicans are stupid rednecks and hate black people" I'm "full of ignorance"?

What I said is that the whole population in the country is more integrated than in the city. Yeah, you've got a neighborhood of 1000 people who you know very well in the city. But when there's 3 million people in the city, it is easy to dehumanize the other 2.999 million people.

You're exactly the type of city dweller I'm talking about. "I can't drive throughout PA without seeing more and more sprawling junk going up on once untouched land." You're missing the millions of acres of untouched lands which are not adjacent highways. You have no concept of the amount of pristine wilderness we have in this country. That's because you live in the city, and land is much more precious in the city than in the country.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Great thread!
People living in larger cities usually have access to better education and may be exposed to more "worldly" (some may say "liberal") views, which helps them be more tolerant and open minded, IMO.

I should add: I've lived in both areas. There are good/bad points to both.

Uh, graduation rates in the suburbs are much higher than that than those in the cities. Not sure how you can quantify a "better" education.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...aduation_N.htm

Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM

52 posts, read 71,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Good thread.

In the city people care a lot about their neighborhoods and institutions that government gives them...
Pretty much describes the urban liberal mindset. The thought that government GIVES anything to anyone is abhorrent to folks who live in rural areas and were raised to provide for themselves. It is the difference of dependent and independent.

Independent people are happy to live and let live. Dependent people tend to resent those who don't join the herd.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM

131 posts, read 379,070 times
Cities-Education, Arts, and Media

Rural- Religion, Tradition, news comes from neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections