U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,556 posts, read 1,613,830 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
You don't see the irony in the fact that he's got you spending your x-mas money to help feed the hungry...out of spite? Win/win scenario for him. Poor people get your help and you get to feel the horrible pain of giving to charity.
That's exactly what I was thinking! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 3,217,366 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Oh, thank you for clarifying that for us.
...sorry, couldn't resist.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,241,965 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
And it's going to upset him that you are giving to charity of your choice instead of to him?
You don't see the irony in the fact that he's got you spending your x-mas money to help feed the hungry...out of spite? Win/win scenario for him. Poor people get your help and you get to feel the horrible pain of giving to charity.
We donate plenty of our hard earned money every year, thank you. We budget a set amount to spend on Christmas for each family member. His share is going to a charity instead of a Christmas gift. There's no loss to us, his Christmas money (not x-mas) is just going to a different source.

There's no spite involved. He came up with a feel-good reason to vote for Barack Obama and is gloating about his choice to his mother who still supports him financially. His lack of manners and disrespect have not shown the Christian spirit he was raised with.

Oh, and like I said, we rarely discussed politics in the family. He is the one who made a major issue out of it and is causing strife in the family. So I guess I have President Obama to thank for that as well. So thanks a lot a-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,063 posts, read 10,997,815 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
And it's going to upset him that you are giving to charity of your choice instead of to him?
You don't see the irony in the fact that he's got you spending your x-mas money to help feed the hungry...out of spite? Win/win scenario for him. Poor people get your help and you get to feel the horrible pain of giving to charity.
Uh, no, you're missing the point. Conservatives are known to be quite generous in donating to charities. The libs think the government should be directing most of the relief, instead. So, when you donate to a charity and help remedy a social ill, a government job is put in jeopardy. That's what they can't stand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM
 
1,797 posts, read 3,714,979 times
Reputation: 703
Maybe we've just lost the art of debating altogether. Instead, we sit at the table and talk ad nauseum about our own beliefs, while we just stick our fingers into our ears and yell: "LALALALA, I can't hear you!" when others are voicing their opinions.

I write "we", because I'm guilty too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 PM
 
Location: in my imagination
10,040 posts, read 12,569,010 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My immediate family and I, and my husband all voted the same. My in-laws did not. We just don't discuss it with them. I do have some friends, however, that I am viewing in a different light. And not just because they didn't vote the same way I did, but because they spew the same stupid fox news type lies that you see on this forum. It is more than just a difference of opinion. I wonder what they think about me.
I have friends who don't always agree with me,but they have qualities more important than arguing over some topic.I had a girlfriend who loved Clinton while I supported Dole.We teased each other,but that was it.Actually a little disagreeing led to some great bed sports.

There are different reasons for having a friend,just because one criteria doesn't match that is no reason not to befriend them.I hope your life doesn't revolve around a president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:10 PM
 
435 posts, read 1,025,915 times
Reputation: 117
Torn families apart are you serious??

Im hispanic and my wife is white. Prior to this election she has never voted before, so I encouraged her to vote, even though we both voted opposite (She Voted McCain/Palin), Im still proud of my wife for voting for who she thought was right. Its the beauty of this country, we can choose who we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,512 posts, read 14,394,599 times
Reputation: 6117
StMarrten..so sorry that it has caused discord within your family.

Hubbie, sons & Dil's as well as myself were all on the same Repub page
I will say when my 13 yo grand daughter expressed her desire for Obama to win sonny nearly hit the roof as well as Grand pa.....I told them settle down, she can't even vote and at 13 you should be proud she is even paying attention...that shut em right up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: The Woods
14,245 posts, read 12,622,972 times
Reputation: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Than your family unit and extended was weak to begin with. We voted all over the place some Rep some Dem some 3rd party.

Makes no difference . Its over now and we all hope whoever is in charge does well .
Not necessarily. Brothers and cousins literally shot each other in the civil war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Denver
355 posts, read 330,972 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Who said I was mean spirited? It is his opinion that other people know how to spend my money for me better than I do. I disagree with that philosophy.

I am merely giving him what he wants: someone else to spend "his" money for him.

edit: I also think it's incredily poor taste for him to "gloat" to his mother about Obama's win. He is lording it over her, much like I have seen Obama supporters here do. "Your brand of racism/hatred/bigotry are over!" "The Republicans are through!" "No more war-criminal president!" Especially since he is in graduate school and his mother sends him money every month.

Kid needs to learn some manners if nothing else.
He might think the soup kitchen idea is awesome. Some members of our extended family do that. They feel they've been blessed and so they donate in each others name. (fyi they are repubs and very religious so I bet I know who they voted for good heartedness is not just for dems) You sounded like you are doing it to spite him. Too bad for you, but he might think it's a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top