Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:09 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

The two major contenders for Secretary of Health and Human Services are Kathleen Sebelius and Tom Daschle.

Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius is the better candidate, IMO. In her previous role as Kansas insurance commissioner, Sebelius established herself as someone who could stand up to powerful insurance interests. She also has fought for universal health coverage for children, a prime goal of Obama's health plan.

Tom Daschle was the Senate majority leader under Clinton. Last June he let it be known that if Obama won he wanted the job of HHS. His experience with health care includes publishing a book on health care in 2008.

Daschle's views on health-care policy are predictable for a Democratic politician with long service in the Congress. The goal that animates him is universal coverage. He is concerned about the downside to government-run health care, (frankly, problems associated with the government calling the shots).

He believes the solution is to entrust government-run health care to people more trustworthy than HHS bureaucrats or elected members of Congress. In his opinion, this would be an unaccountable, unelected board of "wise people charged with making the big and controversial decisions". Apparently this board would not have to answer to the public.

How serious he is about pursuing this idea is unclear.

Sooooo..... what do you guys think? Do you like either choice... or would you rather see a third possibility (maybe Kucinich?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I live in Kansas. I CANNOT STAND Sebelius. Or Daschle either actually. Both TOO Partisan. So is Claire McCaskill of Missouri.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I live in Kansas. I CANNOT STAND Sebelius. Or Daschle either actually. Both TOO Partisan. So is Claire McCaskill of Missouri.
Always good to hear opinions from someone who lives in the state. Is there any reason you dislike her in addition to being partisan? Also, who would you like to see in the position?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I went to school with daschle's son. at least he was a democrat with the courage to send his kid to a public school. he's not in favor with the party though. he's male, and he's white. he will not be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Always good to hear opinions from someone who lives in the state. Is there any reason you dislike her in addition to being partisan? Also, who would you like to see in the position?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
As a registered nurse who has to to deal with insurance companies at work AND in my private life, I'd love to see someone with experience standing up to the insurance companies. I'd go with Sebelius. Apparently the people of Kansas liked her well enough to vote her in as governor.

Kucinich is for single payor, but I don't know if he really knows what that is or how to accomplish it.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well, for one she attacked Palin for "earmarks" and said she herself (Sebelius) doesn't ask for earmarks. THAT IS A LIE. Here are 8 earmarks she has requested this year alone:
  • Kansas Biological Survey Streambank Assessment – KDHE – for $1.7 million;
  • Transmission Dynamometer – Governor’s Military Council – for $2 million;
  • I-70 Viaduct – KDOT – for $2.5 million
  • Fire station at Ft. Riley – Governor’s Military Council – for $2.7 million
  • First Responder Resiliency Training – Governor’s Military Council - $2.8 million
  • Defense Command Integration Center – Governor’s Military Council - $3.4 million
  • Chapel complex at Ft. Leavenworth – Governor’s Military Council - $3.9 million
  • Treece, Kansas Remediation Assistance – KDHE - $6.8 million
www.kansascity.com | 11/06/2008 | Obama Cabinet speculation puts Sebelius back in spotlight (http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/878980.html - broken link)

Article in the Kansas City Star online edition (link above). LOL. Look at the comments of Kansans after the article - saying she should go join Obama's cabinet so we can get her out of Kansas.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
I believe our former governor, John Kitzhaber, is also being considered for Secretary, HHS, or possibly Secretary of the Interior. Dr. Kitzhaber has battled the insurance companies and set up the state run Oregon Health Plan. If Obama picks Sebelius, McCaskill, or Napolitano we're going to lose a lot of dem governors. I wonder how much that influences the decision making process.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I believe our former governor, John Kitzhaber, is also being considered for Secretary, HHS, or possibly Secretary of the Interior. Dr. Kitzhaber has battled the insurance companies and set up the state run Oregon Health Plan. If Obama picks Sebelius, McCaskill, or Napolitano we're going to lose a lot of dem governors. I wonder how much that influences the decision making process.
McCaskill is a senator. But she is so partisan it's disgusting, and she and Sebelius are such brown nosers when it comes to Obama it's not funny.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,312 times
Kucinich all the way!! His healthcare plan is years ahead of anyone else's, his voting record also shows that he has been right about things more than most. He cares about the people and isnt on the take from dirty lobbyist and corporate interests.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-16-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
McCaskill is a senator. But she is so partisan it's disgusting, and she and Sebelius are such brown nosers when it comes to Obama it's not funny.
McCaskill made a really nasty remark about Bill Clinton - how she wouldn't want her daughter near him - totally unnecessary remark to be made in public during a campaign. I listened to her during the campaign and she's not one of my favorites. Bill Clinton campaigned hard for McCaskill when she was running for guv. She's in the same league with Bill Richardson. No opinion about Sebelius except she's pretty boring as a speaker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections