Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times

Advertisements

TOPIC: Rick Warren to pray at Obama Inauguration

NOT other posters

Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That doesn't make him not a hate-monger.
From what I know about Pastor Warren, he is FAR, FAR from being any kind of a "hate monger"

Quite the opposite as a matter of fact.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
From what I know about Pastor Warren, he is FAR, FAR from being any kind of a "hate monger"

Quite the opposite as a matter of fact.
Exactly. And that's what has a lot of right-wing Christians upset with him.

I think it's also extremely important to remember that disagreeing with somebody, or somebody's lifestyle, or somebody's choices - does NOT automatically make a person a hate monger.

Fred Phelps & the Westboro Baptist folks? Hate Mongers? Yes.
Rick Warren & the Saddleback Church folks? Hate Mongers? No.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:30 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,525,552 times
Invocations are useless. They don't accomplish what they are advertised to do. Dubya had 2 inaugurals and 2 invocations. That didn't stop him from screwing up the country.

I understand Obama has to placate the superstitious voters who have to be reassured that they have a president who shares their superstitions. I actually think Obama is far more intelligent than that (I suspect he's a closet atheist or agnostic - as his guns and religion speech would indicate - one of the reasons I voted for him), but since the average American voter has no concept of scientific cosmology (heck, many of them still believe or delude their kids to believe that Santa Claus is a real bearded fat white guy who climbs down chimneys and hands out goodies), then Obama has to play their game. It's unfortunate that's how politics is played in this country, but making sausages ain't a pretty sight either.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Invocations are useless. They don't accomplish what they are advertised to do. Dubya had 2 inaugurals and 2 invocations. That didn't stop him from screwing up the country.

I understand Obama has to placate the superstitious voters who have to be reassured that they have a president who shares their superstitions.
OR, Obama IS religious, believes in God, and wants an invocation befitting of that belief

Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Hate Monger?

I don't see hate coming from him. I do, however, see a LOT of hatred seething from some of the members here.

Geez, I'm not a huge Rick Warren fan, but I don't have to call him names.
I call 'em as I see 'em.

And I see right through this:

Quote:
Pastor Rick Warren is endorsing the effort to protect traditional marriage in California.

..."there is no need to change the universal, historical defintion of marriage to appease two percent of our population." As Warren puts it: "This is not a political issue -- it is a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about."
Rick Warren endorses Prop. 8 (OneNewsNow.com) (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Church/Default.aspx?id=298544 - broken link)

His brand of morality opposes equality for the GLBTQ community. His "2 percent" assumption/assertion is also deliberately misleading for obvious reasons. Until he retracts crap like this, I know exactly what he's about, and not uniting people like Obama claimed he wanted to do.

Not to mention that he fails to cite the Bible verse that condemns same-sex marriage, or, more specifically, where Jesus condemned same-sex marriage. Not to mention that it doesn't matter one bit anyway, and he obviously can't tell religion from politics!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
OR, Obama IS religious, believes in God, and wants an invocation befitting of that belief
Well, I believe it's possible that ghosts exist, but if I were going to become president of the U.S., I wouldn't feel the need to voice that to the people during my inaguration. Because it has no relevance to it! There's a time and place for things...this clearly isn't.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
His brand of morality opposes equality for the GLBTQ community.
Amazing that Pastor Warren is actually PRAISED by the Gay community for his work with the community.

So he opposes Gay Marriage. So what. Like he said the other day, people can have differences of opinion yet still respect each other.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Amazing that Pastor Warren is actually PRAISED by the Gay community for his work with the community.
I'm part of the GLBTQ community and I'm not praising him.

Quote:
So he opposes Gay Marriage. So what. Like he said the other day, people can have differences of opinion yet still respect each other.
It depends on what they disagree on.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Well, I believe it's possible that ghosts exist, but if I were going to become president of the U.S., I wouldn't feel the need to voice that to the people during my inaguration. Because it has no relevance to it! There's a time and place for things...this clearly isn't.
In your opinion.

It would see though that EVERY incoming President takes a different position than yours -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections