Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,354 times

Advertisements

oh puleeze...hero? what did he do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM

540 posts, read 630,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
oh puleeze...hero? what did he do?
This is nothing really new, they all come in with a measure of high expectations. This one is boosted by skin color as what I am seeing is an empty suit. When the prompter goes away he is like the rest of us. He is just a representative of his own individual experience and inate ability to interpret that experience. No God here, so get off that notion it makes you look a bit silly.I am real concerned about the Chicago connection. He claims no associations with Blago and yet I can show you pictures and how do you miss that. Then there is the reverund wright and there is the bombadier. If you hang around with dumb as..es, you'll be a dumb a...

I believe what we have here is just another slick snake oil salesman. The Clintonistas will show him how to sock away the millions and the country will move on for better or worse but if we're lucky at least mostly the same.

If he keeps talking about going to work his popularity will wane quickly

Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
lol, you are certainly right in that I do not understand. No , a "hero" does not have to die, Alvin York was a prime example of that fact. I don't rcognize Columbus as a hero any more than I do Obama either. In fact he was nothing more than an instrument of Spanish gold seeking. We recognize the true heros of this nation on holidays such as Memorial day and the 4th of July. When I think of the word "hero" it brings to mind an individual that gave all, with no thought to themselves, so that others might live. True heros do not usually recieve a 170 million dollar party to recognize them. Instead, they actually prefer NOT to be recognized at all. They look at what they did as something that had to be done and going home (in some cases, unfortunatly not all) is reward enough. Obama has acheived a high position, and he seems to be basking in the glow of an adoring public. OK , so he's the first black POTUS, thats noteworthy, he has inspired a lot of people, thats admirable trouble is that he seems to feel entitled to massive recognition, that is NOT heroic. This is, of course, just my opinion, and as such is completly open to criticism.
Again you really don't understand..The inauguration is a celebration of America. The reason it costs a little more this year is because more people plan to attend because Obama has made it all inclusive not all stuffy conservative. Obama has continually stated that this is not about him but about us. We are encouraged by how he plans to govern and we want to share it with him. Hopefully Obama will be a hero for many children instead of athletes and entertainers. To say that his being the first black POTUS is "noteworthy" is ignorant. We're only about 40 yrs removed from segregation, 15 from OJ (which showed the racial divide) and this man with an African name inspired so many that he won the Presidency by defeating a war "hero". That's not "noteworthy" that's heroic!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
This is nothing really new, they all come in with a measure of high expectations. This one is boosted by skin color as what I am seeing is an empty suit. When the prompter goes away he is like the rest of us. He is just a representative of his own individual experience and inate ability to interpret that experience. No God here, so get off that notion it makes you look a bit silly.I am real concerned about the Chicago connection. He claims no associations with Blago and yet I can show you pictures and how do you miss that. Then there is the reverund wright and there is the bombadier. If you hang around with dumb as..es, you'll be a dumb a...

I believe what we have here is just another slick snake oil salesman. The Clintonistas will show him how to sock away the millions and the country will move on for better or worse but if we're lucky at least mostly the same.

If he keeps talking about going to work his popularity will wane quickly

LOL...Can you please show us the "pictures" and how they mean Obama's tied to Blago's corruption? I'm sure you know something the U.S. Attorney doesn't know.

Wasn't "reverund wright" a memeber of RUN DMC? LOL....Thanks for the laugh!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Hello Karfar. You are really coming along. I am becoming proud of my influence on you. Since your close by could you slip over to Minnesota and spit in Al Frankens eye for me.
I'll settle for a difference of opinion in about a year. I'm taking bets that between the mismangement of the Clintonistas and the fickle american public that even with the fascist media behind him his ratings will be around 52%.

Any bets Obamamores'?
Hey schtyk, this will be the last time that I speak to you directly. Do not ever quote me in a post, don't mention my name, don't speak to me indirectly again. If you do, I will again report you to the MOD's. I don't get your little snide, indirect remarks to me but I'm done with it. Do it again, & like I said, I'll report you. I'm done w/you. Your little stalking bit w/me is over & it's ridiculous & immature. Find someone else to do your bidding with, I'm not interested.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Again you really don't understand..The inauguration is a celebration of America. The reason it costs a little more this year is because more people plan to attend because Obama has made it all inclusive not all stuffy conservative. Obama has continually stated that this is not about him but about us. We are encouraged by how he plans to govern and we want to share it with him. Hopefully Obama will be a hero for many children instead of athletes and entertainers. To say that his being the first black POTUS is "noteworthy" is ignorant. We're only about 40 yrs removed from segregation, 15 from OJ (which showed the racial divide) and this man with an African name inspired so many that he won the Presidency by defeating a war "hero". That's not "noteworthy" that's heroic!
I said my opinion was open to criticism. Not insult. I am NOT and ignorant person and will not be called such without rebutal. It is easy to context someones writing the way one wants, reading what one wishes to see into a statement and using that as a platform to attack. That is "ignorant" in and of itself. As to Obamas 'heroism", sorry , I'm not convinced, but that just boils down to a personal definition of a hero. I think I already said that though.. I do find merit in your thoughts of a shift in role models. I certainly feel that Obama is more worthy of the admiration of young people than some of the glitzy bling kings and queens holding down a posh place in Beverly Hills. Nevertheless, his election ,and the resultant ruckus, does not elevate him so far above and beyond to get me all stirred up. 40 years from segregation? So what. Are we supposed to be so inspired JUST because he's black? I don't care what color he is. Matters as much as a fart in a high wind to me but it seems to be the single factor that a lot of folks are considering to be the hallmark of his achieving the office. At the end of the day it's just another presidential election to me. And Obama is no more historic, yet, than any other president has been. No, I still don't "get it". Nor am I ever likely to. I certainly don't feel the need to rush out and get my Obama collector plate, nor am I going to be glued to the tube tomorrow watching in awe as he takes the oath of office. I have a job to do, the guys not feeding my family nor is he likely to. Nor does he care about my problems any more han I care what color he is. He bleeds red and hits the can in the morning just like I do. But I'm thinking that, unlike me, he hasn't seen his own blood making a living like I do on a daily basis. he's got "people" for that LMAO. Just another smooth talkin' politician.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I said my opinion was open to criticism. Not insult. I am NOT and ignorant person and will not be called such without rebutal. It is easy to context someones writing the way one wants, reading what one wishes to see into a statement and using that as a platform to attack. That is "ignorant" in and of itself. As to Obamas 'heroism", sorry , I'm not convinced, but that just boils down to a personal definition of a hero. I think I already said that though.. I do find merit in your thoughts of a shift in role models. I certainly feel that Obama is more worthy of the admiration of young people than some of the glitzy bling kings and queens holding down a posh place in Beverly Hills. Nevertheless, his election ,and the resultant ruckus, does not elevate him so far above and beyond to get me all stirred up. 40 years from segregation? So what. Are we supposed to be so inspired JUST because he's black? I don't care what color he is. Matters as much as a fart in a high wind to me but it seems to be the single factor that a lot of folks are considering to be the hallmark of his achieving the office. At the end of the day it's just another presidential election to me. And Obama is no more historic, yet, than any other president has been. No, I still don't "get it". Nor am I ever likely to. I certainly don't feel the need to rush out and get my Obama collector plate, nor am I going to be glued to the tube tomorrow watching in awe as he takes the oath of office. I have a job to do, the guys not feeding my family nor is he likely to. Nor does he care about my problems any more han I care what color he is. He bleeds red and hits the can in the morning just like I do. But I'm thinking that, unlike me, he hasn't seen his own blood making a living like I do on a daily basis. he's got "people" for that LMAO. Just another smooth talkin' politician.
Ok, well I will have his inauguaration on my computer at work tomorrow. And if you are so unconcerned about this, then why bother posting? I mean, you make a point of mentioning how much it doesn't affect you...so? Then why talk about it?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
You right, it could be construed as insulting. That was not really my intention however I find the idea of Obama being viewed as a "hero" and declaring his inaugeration date as a national holiday to be insulting as well. I find the idea to be disrespectful, in so many ways, to the men and women that have NOT been recognized for deeds that truly are heroic. I mean, come on! Whats next, awarding the guy the Medal of Honor? His being elected does NOT make him a hero and to heap that type of honor on him smacks of blind devotion to little more than honeyed words. Thus my "insulting" comment. I suppose it may have been a tad harsh, but the praise of an individual for "heroism" for things that have not been accomplished and wishing to declare him worthy of that type of recognition just baffles me. My personal definition of a hero sees the president elect coming up a bit short. My apoligies if my words were , perhaps, not as well thought out as they should have been, but in my intended context I firmly stand by them. He's NOT a hero. A role model? perhaps. But not a hero, not yet. I simply fail to see how he can be viewed as such. The ability to inspire does not a hero make.
I understand, I understand. I thought you were saying that just getting excited about his election was tantamount to being a "groupie".

No harm done.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ok, well I will have his inauguaration on my computer at work tomorrow. And if you are so unconcerned about this, then why bother posting? I mean, you make a point of mentioning how much it doesn't affect you...so? Then why talk about it?
Cus I ain't doing anything else until tomorrow and I'm addicted to CD just like you. It's a place to kick out opinions right? You talk about how it's the big turning point in your life and I talk about how it isn't in mine. Does that bother you so much?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Cus I ain't doing anything else until tomorrow and I'm addicted to CD just like you. It's a place to kick out opinions right? You talk about how it's the big turning point in your life and I talk about how it isn't in mine. Does that bother you so much?
Nope, fine w/me. Just wondering why you post about something that seems to bug you. For instance, I don't post anything about Ann Coulter anymore because she annoys the crap out of me & it gets me nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections