Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times

Advertisements

I still buy dvds. I love horror movies and some older ones are hard to find on streaming. Anyway what if the internet stays down for an extended period of time? How will you even listen to your music if you have no physical cds laying around?

Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Good for you when you lose it all...

Folks I think we should do an age thing with this physical vs digital media.

State your age(or nearest decade), and whether you are all physical, mixed phys/digital, or all digital.
Just curious about something.
Mid 40's and I maintain a mixture of physical media and electronic media. For the stuff I value the most, I have the CDs and DVDs archived with an electronic version ripped from the source for personal use while other things I have as digital only but in an unrestricted format that does not require me to be logged onto the internet or using a specific app. My user version of my media collection is entirely digital but for the stuff I deem to be of more value to me I have stowed away on the originally pressed CDs and DVDs. A rigorous backup plan of the digital only stuff is also maintained.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
When you all get a bit older, and need to downsize, all these books, dvds, cds, record albums and whatever, will need to go. All that stuff is like an anchor dragging you down.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When you all get a bit older, and need to downsize, all these books, dvds, cds, record albums and whatever, will need to go. All that stuff is like an anchor dragging you down.

How old is that?

I really hate moving and don't plan to do it again.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Mid 40's and I maintain a mixture of physical media and electronic media. For the stuff I value the most, I have the CDs and DVDs archived with an electronic version ripped from the source for personal use while other things I have as digital only but in an unrestricted format that does not require me to be logged onto the internet or using a specific app. My user version of my media collection is entirely digital but for the stuff I deem to be of more value to me I have stowed away on the originally pressed CDs and DVDs. A rigorous backup plan of the digital only stuff is also maintained.

You and I were separated at birth!

Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Doing that now, in the book and analog media(audio cassettes, VHS, vinyl) departments. Pretty much know already what CDs are going if/when I move.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
You're right of course, but a lot of people don't learn this lesson in their lifetime, and leave everything for their loved ones to deal with when they're gone.

That's a large part of why I decided to get rid of all the extraneous stuff in my life. My sister and I were the ones responsible for dealing with all of my parent's stuff when dad passed and mom went into assisted living. Mom was an artful hoarder. You wouldn't realize how much stuff she had until you went through all the closets and storage rooms and under the beds, and in the expansive custom cabinets they had installed. Her hoarding was well hidden. And we only had a few weeks to get everything out of their house. It was a horrible experience and I swore I would never put my family through that. But now that I've downsized, I realize what a benefit doing so was for me. You don't realize how much it's all weighing you down until you're rid of it.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:28 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
I buy the occasional old movie on DVD when I cannot otherwise access it. I won't - and never have - bought a television series or season. It's too big an investment for something I might not want to watch again, and even those series that I do decide I want to see again, I won't watch for another several years, after I've forgotten much of what transpired and so they've become fresh again to my imagination. I'm 49 years old, and I doubt that even the series I love above all others - such as Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Northern Exposure - I won't watch more than three more times each, at most, in my life. Music? I still have a couple hundred DVDs but I rarely listen to them.

I rarely buy music anymore, period, physical or files. As with TV, which I stream only (no cable, and I don't bother watching broadcast television) and movies (mostly streamed, along with some DVDs from Netflix and the odd rewatch of a DVD I own), I stream music. It's just too convenient and cheap. Spotify costs me $3/month ($15 for a family plan, and there's five of us). I just made a 70+ Rolling Stones playlist with cuts spanning something like 15 albums. Even discounting the tracks that appear on the two or three old Stones CDs I have, the cost of buying that music outright would set me back at least as much as a year or so of paying for Spotify, which gets me almost every song I could ever want.

So I rarely buy media, period. I rent it.

Now, that's just me. Unlike a lot of others in this thread, I lack the need to assure myself that those doing it differently are doing it wrong. That's just bizarre and self-absorbed.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:54 PM

47 posts, read 18,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Good for you when you lose it all...
I back up everything.

Quote:
Folks I think we should do an age thing with this physical vs digital media.

State your age(or nearest decade), and whether you are all physical, mixed phys/digital, or all digital.
Just curious about something.
I'm 37.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Physical media means you're not at the whims of others...

I'm 68 and I kept my albums and cassettes tapes of my 70s collections. I also have over 1100+ movie DVDs and big collection of TV seasons.

Digital contents is great and I enjoy my Amazon Prime but sometimes some of my list get removed while I'm in a middle of the season. As I found out, they come and go.
True but physical media can be damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think people just like to brag about the size of their ... collections.
Well size is everything.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM

So generally, younger people are more likely to shun physical forms in favor of digital files or streaming. I feel bad for them because they don't know what they are missing quality wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts