Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 03:23 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Most new cars are being built without CD players, though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci.../#37c489302e88

At the risk of sounding like a broken record(or skipping CD!), there are still tons of aftermarket options to bring CD back to a car if that's what's wanted. Not everyone has the time or inclination to rip thousands of songs to a digital player or pheun, or wants to rely on streamed content that can change on a weekly or even daily basis.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Only buy the DVDs i truly like. Music? Because vinyl is warmer.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Only buy the DVDs i truly like. Music? Because vinyl is warmer.
Everyone says that about records. The frequency response of vinyl, even under ideal conditions, is nowhere near as extended or as flat as that of digital. With digital, you hear everything there.

That said, in defense of vinyl, it is often the mastering of the CD version of an album that sets its sound apart from vinyl - for better or for worse. If dynamic compression and loads of EQ are applied to the master for CD, of course it won't sound like the vinyl!

Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Everyone says that about records. The frequency response of vinyl, even under ideal conditions, is nowhere near as extended or as flat as that of digital. With digital, you hear everything there.

That said, in defense of vinyl, it is often the mastering of the CD version of an album that sets its sound apart from vinyl - for better or for worse. If dynamic compression and loads of EQ are applied to the master for CD, of course it won't sound like the vinyl!
Prior to the early 70's, most hit versions on 45RPM records were dedicated mono mixes that have never appeared on CD to this day. Also, promo 45's contained special radio edits that have not appeared on CD.

I won't get into the sound debate because it's a argument that can add several pages to this thread in a matter of hours lol!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Prior to the early 70's, most hit versions on 45RPM records were dedicated mono mixes that have never appeared on CD to this day. Also, promo 45's contained special radio edits that have not appeared on CD.

I won't get into the sound debate because it's a argument that can add several pages to this thread in a matter of hours lol!
1. Interesting point about the mono 45s. On the other hand, I have yet to find the Stones' "Paint It, Black" stereo version on any CD. Mono anything just drills a hole in the center of my skull, especially listening via headphones.

2. From an 'audio guy': Vinyl vs CD? It's the mastering - not the format. Hisses, skips and scratches just mean that your copy of the former is probably beyond its useful playing life.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
1. Interesting point about the mono 45s. On the other hand, I have yet to find the Stones' "Paint It, Black" stereo version on any CD. Mono anything just drills a hole in the center of my skull, especially listening via headphones.

2. From an 'audio guy': Vinyl vs CD? It's the mastering - not the format. Hisses, skips and scratches just mean that your copy of the former is probably beyond its useful playing life.
I get your point as well, some mono mixes aren’t just arrangement, but different vocal takes as well, two examples off the top of my head are Shirley Bassey “Goldfinger” and Steppenwolf “Magic Carpet Ride”. The masters of Magic Carpet Ride are long gone since MCA records destroyed the mono masters of the Former ABC records after they were absorbed by MCA

Old 09-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I get your point as well, some mono mixes aren’t just arrangement, but different vocal takes as well, two examples off the top of my head are Shirley Bassey “Goldfinger” and Steppenwolf “Magic Carpet Ride”. The masters of Magic Carpet Ride are long gone since MCA records destroyed the mono masters of the Former ABC records after they were absorbed by MCA

The thing is with monaural, it's the same sound, regardless of the chosen mix or the mastering, distributed over one, two, four, or however many speakers. Mono creates a phantom image exactly halfway between pairs of speakers, or inside the head through any decently manufactured and properly driven headphone.

It might be a spectacular mix, blowing away the mix created for a stereo release, but for deep listening, it's less engaging to me simply because of the lack of spatial separation, artificially induced, or real as captured by the appropriate microphone setup in recording.

That said, I would not mind hearing some of the alternative mixes of those acts you mentioned, if such should ever one day become available.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:53 PM

I like stereo mixes as well, as long as the arrangements don’t deviate too far off from the original hit version. Most cases it’s some instrumental segments here or there that are more pronounced or less pronounced depending how the stereo mix was recorded.

For me, I use a true mono cart instead of using a stereo cart with a mono switch. It much better listening experience.

Here is that Steppenwolf mono mix. If you know the song well you should notice the different vocal take right away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nz6...&feature=share

Old 09-04-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I like stereo mixes as well, as long as the arrangements don’t deviate too far off from the original hit version. Most cases it’s some instrumental segments here or there that are more pronounced or less pronounced depending how the stereo mix was recorded.

For me, I use a true mono cart instead of using a stereo cart with a mono switch. It much better listening experience.

Here is that Steppenwolf mono mix. If you know the song well you should notice the different vocal take right away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nz6...&feature=share
What the HECK was he on when he fronted that version? LOL Far out, man!

Old 09-05-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
What the HECK was he on when he fronted that version? LOL Far out, man!
His vocals are dragging a bit. Guess he rolled up a fatty and smoked it before hitting the studio LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts