Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times

Advertisements

Not that Eugene is super-complex to commute around, but for the sake of argument, where is she working? [Oh, and again, what's your budget?]

Also, I agree storage costs are a bit of a burn on the wallet, but in Eugene (not wholly like other places) there will be a premium cost on renting a house. The cost of renting an apt + storage is still likely to be less than what you'd pay on any SFH.

Though if you're thinking "duplex" vs SFH then sure, that equation changes a bit.

Looking at padmapper toggling the 'dog' variable off/on certainly changes the number of hits significantly. Zillow looks like it has more, which isn't entirely surprising since they skew to SFH/duplexes over multi-unit apts.

Most storage places I'm familiar with are month-month vs. long-term lease, so I don't know how likely you are to be locked into that cost long-term. Almost 100% positive NW SelfStorage is, and they have several sites on the west side - no idea about openings though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM

33 posts, read 46,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Not that Eugene is super-complex to commute around, but for the sake of argument, where is she working? [Oh, and again, what's your budget?]
Also, I agree storage costs are a bit of a burn on the wallet, but in Eugene (not wholly like other places) there will be a premium cost on renting a house. The cost of renting an apt + storage is still likely to be less than what you'd pay on any SFH.
Though if you're thinking "duplex" vs SFH then sure, that equation changes a bit.
Looking at padmapper toggling the 'dog' variable off/on certainly changes the number of hits significantly. Zillow looks like it has more, which isn't entirely surprising since they skew to SFH/duplexes over multi-unit apts.
Most storage places I'm familiar with are month-month vs. long-term lease, so I don't know how likely you are to be locked into that cost long-term. Almost 100% positive NW SelfStorage is, and they have several sites on the west side - no idea about openings though.

Correct the equation changer is the dog(s). Working in Downtown, superior court building. And yes, driving around is not the problem. Is simply finding something decent at the moment that allows me to get into town. With time depending on the lease terms I can then move to a proper setting. Right now, is to get in to the job is secure.

Budget for rent? Around 1500. Which is fair I think, but hate the fact that I'll have to give that up more then that for a 1bd/1bd apartment due to the time restrain only to keep the month to month option open. IN addition to storage fee and secondary security deposit once I find a proper house for rent. I am looking at a 5K-8K month swing after all expenses are done. That's is what hurting. That is will not be the end of it.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Well, my thinking had been to suggest you look at apartments along Goodpasture. It's not a terrible drive into downtown across the bridge [also potentially bike-able], and a number of those apartments, at least last I looked, are in your price range and would be a nice place to settle in for a year while you got to know the city and chose a quadrant/neighborhood. Easy pop outside to walk the dogs along the river (leashed).

Really few downsides out there, whereas some of the downtown apts vary block to block, there's traffic noise, etc.

That said, I have no idea if any of them take dogs or if they have openings. Heron Club site isn't working at the moment for some reason (was going to check price, availability and pet rules), which is probably the one I'd start with, personally.

There are some decent apts in town, so as much as I understand you want to get into a home, at your price point, you might at least want to consider a higher-end 2-3 BR apt for a year, though I confess I don't know how much stuff you're bringing and whether you'd still need storage with a larger apt.

Anyway, sorry I'm not more help. Definitely look at zillow if you haven't already. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post

Anyway, sorry I'm not more help. Definitely look at zillow if you haven't already. Good luck!

Oh, no thank you it's been really nice and your input is appreciated. Sometimes is easier to gripe & vent to find which allows to find an option. Most likely we will end up in an apt, and see for how long. Again thanks for the info and direction.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:29 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
When we moved to Eugene from out of state, we first stayed for about two weeks at an extended stay type of hotel (Crosslands in Springfield). It was definitely not the greatest, but we weren't there for a holiday. It gave us an affordable place to sleep and a small kitchen to cook our meals in while we searched for a place to rent. It's definitely easier to find a good rental (and a good landlord/property owner) when you are physically present.

If you're not opposed to apartments, there are some decent ones with varying price ranges along Goodpasture Island Rd. (we lived in Forest Hills for several years - they are on the higher end of the price spectrum but they were really nice with really good ammenities and allow dogs, nice area for walking and good neighbors) and also in the South Hills area along Fox Hollow Rd. (Forest Village Apts. and also a low income complex called Woodleaf Village apts).

Old 06-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

If you're not opposed to apartments,
Thanks, we did end up in an apartment, it is better then what I expected given the first time I have done a move this big outside of the military picking up the tab. This was on my tab. So there was tons of hesitation & anxiety. We did get an over priced apartment for now on west Eugene. But over all we are good, dogs are doing extremely well given there is a fix schedule to do things now. And we are adjusting. First day of work, 10 min drive, can't beat that in any form. We'll still try to move to a rental house, did a few applications today. We are already planing on long term at this apartment since everything turned out better then the fear of the unknown when we were coming in. Thank you again for listening and the advice.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
Thanks, we did end up in an apartment, it is better then what I expected given the first time I have done a move this big outside of the military picking up the tab. This was on my tab. So there was tons of hesitation & anxiety. We did get an over priced apartment for now on west Eugene. But over all we are good, dogs are doing extremely well given there is a fix schedule to do things now. And we are adjusting. First day of work, 10 min drive, can't beat that in any form. We'll still try to move to a rental house, did a few applications today. We are already planing on long term at this apartment since everything turned out better then the fear of the unknown when we were coming in. Thank you again for listening and the advice.
Congrats - glad to hear you're settling in and that everything has gone okay/well so far!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 19,272 times
Sorry, I don't know how to use the quote function.
Someone on this thread mentioned that the Bethel-Danebo area was not a good place to live.
I am considering moving to the Eugene area to a 55+ mobile park. They seem to be mostly located in this area.
Can someone comment further about why this is not a recommended area? Thanks.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieinAlaska View Post
Sorry, I don't know how to use the quote function.
Someone on this thread mentioned that the Bethel-Danebo area was not a good place to live.
I am considering moving to the Eugene area to a 55+ mobile park. They seem to be mostly located in this area.
Can someone comment further about why this is not a recommended area? Thanks.
It's a fairly big area, and within it there are ok spots and less ok spots.

As Eugene goes, it's one of the poorer parts of town, so a lot of the negativity is just about where poor people live when they can't afford to go somewhere else. You're not likely to be killed in gang violence or anything. Petty theft or break-ins possible, sure, but just be smart.

Eastern part of B-D is impacted by the rail lines, and it also has both Hwy99 and the Beltline cutting through, both of which generate noise/traffic/exhaust.

I haven't looked at the data in a few years, but there's also concerns about some of the industrial plants that abut the rail lines and NWest Expressway - Georgia-Pacific has a plant just outside the B-D zone to the northeast. I think there's another chip plant over there, but too lazy to look it up.

So you'd want to look at a map. And I'd probably suggest virtually driving around your neighborhood on google street view.

If it looks like what you expect in a mobile home park (it probably does) then part of what you're seeing here is that C-D, at least for Oregon, is more geared for responding to people with money and options. If you can afford to live in Southeast, or North, or SW hills, then should you live one of those places instead? Probably.

If you're looking for a mobile home park and have a car for transport are most of those parks fine? Probably.

Since you don't have kids we'll skip over the school issue. It's also "less bikeable" for those concerned with such things. Personally I would say B-D is not a "bad place to live" but certainly for people with money there are certainly "better" places.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 19,272 times
Thanks so much for the helpful response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area