Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

That area has sort of an industrial vibe. It's also convenient to outlying agricultural areas if you like going to farm stands. I think it would be kind of cool to live close to the Peterson Barn -- lots of fun activities there for people of all ages.

https://www.eugene-or.gov/3245/Peter...mmunity-Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Agree - I used to play summer soccer out there and there was a lot of community activity.

For those who like it, it's also where the Winco in town is, and it's a pretty easy run (by car, anyway) down to the big box stores on west 11th (Fred Meyer, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 19,266 times
Thanks again for more useful info. Good to know that shopping is an easy run.

And the Peterson Barn looks like an interesting place. And the Eugene Parks & Rec online booklet shows lots of things to do. Offering pottery classes is a real plus as is the swimming programs. A couple of years ago, I spent a year in Bend. It was too hot for me, but their P&R programs were great. Seems Eugene's are too.

(Metlakatla? You from there? I am in Juneau)

Old 06-29-2016, 11:22 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieinAlaska View Post
.......... A couple of years ago, I spent a year in Bend. It was too hot for me, .........
Daily highs are just as hot in Eugene. Average temperature for the day is hotter. Bend has lower humidity.

Eugene:

Bend:

Old 06-29-2016, 12:06 PM

Ouch. I did a quick research a couple of months ago on Eugene's weather. It seemed more temperate than these charts show. And of course when you add humidity with the heat, it is a beast.

I was in Bend 2012-13. At the time the locals were complaining about the heat. It was easily getting up into the 100's, which was not common. Since then, it seems to have become a trend for the area.

I mention this because I wonder if Eugene is also experiencing a recent uptake in the heat factor also. If not, it would at least make their temps not quite so similar (?)

Guess I better do a lot more homework. Will be pulling out of here like a gypsy in a month or so and looking to set down new roots.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Guess I better do a lot more homework. Will be pulling out of here like a gypsy in a month or so and looking to set down new roots.
How did you settle on Eugene?

If you're looking for someplace similar that's cooler, Bellingham, WA (or Olympia) might be worth a look.

Part of Eugene's issue is that it's in a valley, so at least my perception is the heat that builds up during the day doesn't flush out as quickly overnight.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 PM

I did do a lot of research on Bellingham. I ended up not seeing much in the way of affordable housing (for me).

I like the fact that Eugene is so "green." I don't mind the rain. It is just where I live now (rain forest) that it has become too much as has the snow. I really want to get away from snow altogether. Bellingham, if I remember right did have some snow.

Eugene is getting a Whole Foods. That was a plus on my card. Loved it when in Bend. And it looks as if I could get an affordable place in Eugene. I will need a job. I know they are hard to come by just about anywhere you go.

I am not 100% committed to anything. But have been leaning towards Eugene, in theory.

I probably should have tossed my hat on this forum before now. Been reading it (Oregon) on and off for years and always admire the helpful information folks share.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I'm from POW, actually...this user nick comes from a calendar over my desk when I couldn't think of a name when I was registering.

I'd suggest Market of Choice over WF.

The last summer i spent in Eugene was kind of hot. Had the AC on in late October. I think you'll like it there, though. Lots of green. You can always escape to the coast on really hot days.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-29-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 02:35 PM

33 posts, read 46,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Congrats - glad to hear you're settling in and that everything has gone okay/well so far!
Thank you bler144. It is amazing, and really didn't think we could pull it off. I still can't believe it at times. So happy we took the chance and we are prying that we can look at this a long time from now and simply lough it off.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I did do a lot of research on Bellingham. I ended up not seeing much in the way of affordable housing (for me).

I like the fact that Eugene is so "green." I don't mind the rain. It is just where I live now (rain forest) that it has become too much as has the snow. I really want to get away from snow altogether. Bellingham, if I remember right did have some snow.

Eugene is getting a Whole Foods. That was a plus on my card. Loved it when in Bend. And it looks as if I could get an affordable place in Eugene. I will need a job. I know they are hard to come by just about anywhere you go.
Yeah, Bellingham isn't cheap. I assumed there would be an RV park in one of the outlying areas like Ferndale, which is a more rural spot than Bethel, but in terms of getting TO stuff not all that different. And like west eugene, it is on the edge of wetlands.

Eugene does get a few inches of snow now and then, and the city shuts down when it happens, but the expected annual rate is about 1/4 of Bellingham, sure, and a winter with 0" is not unusual at all, followed by the occasional big year.

There's a whole other thread on it, but like Metlakatla, personally I don't think Eugene needs a WF. Between Natural Grocers/TJs/Capella/Fred Meyer/Market of Choice/Kiva/Sundance there's no shortage of the stuff a WF would sell.

Natural Grocer in particular is a CO chain (to WF's TX origins) that's almost a complete clone less the prepared foods/desserts.

I think Market of Choice is the only one of those with a comparable prepared foods section to WF, though several of the smaller markets do have a deli, but in any case, WF isn't exactly filling a void so much as hoping to cannibalize the existing marketplace. In terms of grocery/products, WF doesn't bring anything at all new to the city imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area