Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

I can think of two additional differences off the top of my head.

Politics - Finland is a mixed presidential parliamentary system more akin to France than to the rest of Scandanvia. I could be wrong but I do believe that there president has some degree of political power. On the other hand, Iceland's president is a figurehead along with the different monarchies of the rest of Scandanavia.

Crime - While Finnish crime stats are still pretty low compared to the US, it has a noticably higher homicide rate than the rest of Scandanavia. Although the streets are still safe to walk around late at night, there is a problem with alcohol-fueled domestic violence. That is why the homicide rate will appear a little but noticably higher than in the rest of Scandanavia. Alcohol seems to be abused more here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have dealt with people from Scandinavia. Many of them do have a reserve about them. They never came off as "gloomy" to me, just more quiet. I can be kind of quiet myself.

One thing I have noticed is that alot of Finnish people might have blond hair and blue eyes, but the facial features tend to be different. Among the Finnish persons I have met, I have found the facial features to have more in common with Russians that other Nordic peoples. One thing I notice is the rounder faces and relatively high cheekbones. I think part of that has to do with the Finno-Ugric influences.
From my research there is a huge split between Lapps and other Finns. Why? It is hypothesized that Lapps are actually descended from Mongolians. According to what I have read, Lapps are not blonde with blue eyes, which is evidenced in my family. I have Lapp ancestors, and my Finnish side has very dark hair, dark eyes, and very pale skin. That is my look, and it has very obviously come from that side. From people who speak both Finnish and Japanese, it has also been said that there are many similarites between the two languages. This would make some sense if the Mongolian hypothesis is true.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:41 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
From my research there is a huge split between Lapps and other Finns. Why? It is hypothesized that Lapps are actually descended from Mongolians. According to what I have read, Lapps are not blonde with blue eyes, which is evidenced in my family. I have Lapp ancestors, and my Finnish side has very dark hair, dark eyes, and very pale skin. That is my look, and it has very obviously come from that side. From people who speak both Finnish and Japanese, it has also been said that there are many similarites between the two languages. This would make some sense if the Mongolian hypothesis is true.
The Finns are from east of the Urals as well, and the closest language in Europe to Finnish is Magyar (Hungarians, who also came from the east.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The Finns are from east of the Urals as well, and the closest language in Europe to Finnish is Magyar (Hungarians, who also came from the east.
Yep. My aunt is Hungarian. Her parents actually escaped Hungary when it was run by the Soviets. She can tell when someone is speaking Finnish.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 AM

221 posts, read 656,252 times
Im danish, and ive always had a quite strange relationship with the finns. They seem like an odd misplaced country to me lol. All we hear about is school shootings and their race drivers (raikkonen,kovalein and haikkinen), and i think they do some sort of shoe throwing for sport. I don't really feel connected to finns like i do to swedes and norwegians. They're my brothers while finland is that distant cousin only sweden talked with lol.(finland was under swedish rule).

Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I have heard that the Saami were descended from Mongolians. Some people have actually thought Finns themselves were descended from Mongolians.

When I first looked at a website in Finnish, the first thing I noticed is that some of it looked like Japanese.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have heard that the Saami were descended from Mongolians. Some people have actually thought Finns themselves were descended from Mongolians.

When I first looked at a website in Finnish, the first thing I noticed is that some of it looked like Japanese.
Saami are actually European, descended from the same genetic stock as other Europeans. They appear quite east asian though. This is thought to be because they were genetically isolated for 10 000 - 15 000 years, during the time when the european apperance developed. In other words, they've kept the original Ice Age look.

It gets a bit complicated by their language that was named for them turning out not to be their original one, but imposed from Asia maybe 1500 years ago. So the language is definitly Asian.

Scandinavia is generally understood to be the three countries sharing a goverment system and muturally comrehensible languages -the constitutional monarchies of Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

The "Nordic countries" term also include the incomprehensible republics of Finland and Iceland.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,051 times
This can all around be a very depressing and extremely boring place to live or visit, i don't really want to recommend Finland to anyone.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I only knew, well sort-of they were more like acquaintances, two Finns and I'd agree they didn't strike me as a particularly gloomy people. Nor did they talk about tango at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
The latest linguistic & genetic resersh seems to indicate that the Finns and the Sami/Lapp are the direct decendants of the various peoples who lived in Europe and Asia during the last ice age.

Other peoples decendents from the original Euro/Asia habitants are Northern Samoyedic peoples are(Nenets, Enets and Nganasan) Southern Samoyedic peoples (Selkup) - both found in Siberia, Yukaghir speaking people in the Russian far east. We also have languages such as the Moksha and Erzya language found in Mordovia (related to Finnish), Khanty (Ostyak) and Mansi language (Vogul) of central Russia, both related to Hungarian and a handfull of other languages.

These languages or groups of people seem to have maintained their very old languages (and some times cultures) living in remote areas such as in very cold climates or in mountainous areas...areas were they did not associate that much with "newer" europeans and asians.

I hope some of this made some kind os sense.

So this is different from the Swedes, Norwegians and Danes who are "newer" people/languages/cultures.
Nothing is permanent though. People in northern Sweden are very, very often of Finnish and/or Swedish decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe