Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:11 AM

847 posts, read 1,183,241 times

Advertisements

I like Bavaria: it is a Germanic country, but with Romanian architecture. And the climate is ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
I like Bavaria: it is a Germanic country, but with Romanian architecture. And the climate is ideal.
Romanian architecture?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 AM

847 posts, read 1,183,241 times
Oh! Not Romanian (from Romania), but influenced by the city of Rome.

So, let it be:
Quote:
Bavaria is a Germanic land with baroque architecture and the climate, which is warmer than in Northern Germany.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,488,886 times
Updated studies on the British and Irish.

Colm T. O'Dushlaine, Derek Morris, Valentina Moskvina, George Kirov, International Schizophrenia Consortium, Michael Gill, Aiden Corvin, James F. Wilson, and Gianpiero L. Cavalleri. "Population structure and genome-wide patterns of variation in Ireland and Britain." European Journal of Human Genetics 18 (2010): pages 1248-1254. First published online on June 23, 2010. The researchers studied the genetics of 3,654 including people from Ireland, the United Kingdom (including Aberdeen, Scotland), Sweden, Portugal, Bulgaria, and the American state of Utah (whose people are largely of English descent). Haplotype diversity was found to be lower in Ireland and Scotland than in southern Europe. Also, Irish people have higher levels of linkage disequilibrium and homozygosity compared to other Europeans. The results showed that the population of Ireland has been relatively isolated throughout the millennia. The article notes that Scottish people are "intermediate between the Irish and English cohorts" in principal component analysis. British and Irish people are predominantly "Northwestern" European in origin but also partly "Scandinavian" (moreso for English people than Irish people) and have relatively small amounts of "Iberian" and "Balkan" ancestry.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 15,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Romanian architecture?
I guess he's referring to Romanesque architecture...

Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM

824 posts, read 3,615,733 times
Quote:
Interesting, I thought that in Germany and Austria the majority of people are locals. I did not see much immigrants there. Maybe Czechs and Poles in Austria and some Turks in Germany (but even Turks were not in such large amount as some say).
That's true, Switzerland and Austria have mostly foreigners from other european countries (mostly eastern europeans), and even those are not even close to being a large minority, only switzerland I recall have a large minority (about 25-27%) of immigrant population but although the large majority of them are from nearby european countries or eastern europe. The only area where there is an overwhelming amount of (non-western) immigrants might be the netherlands (amsterdam, rotterdam and den haag already less than 50% dutch) and non western foreigners being up to 25-30 % in all those cities, followed by Flanders (Belgium). Germany has many foreigners but mainly on large cities of western germany and even those areas don't even come close at the scale of immigration and specially large chunk of non-western foreigners the Netherlands have. Walking in cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Brussels feel like being on a gettho where locals are no longer in the majority. Scandinavian countries must be the ones with the most rapidly growth of non-western foreigners in the last 10-15 years, specially the large cities like Stockholm, malmo, gotheborg and Oslo, I see a bad future in few years for all those countries.

Im not counting the UK and Ireland as germanic, because despite the english language is spoken there they feel like something else. For me Ireland and UK are pretty insular culturally wise, they dont reflect closely any other population in mainland europe.

Brits always will claim the UK being the most multicultural place in europe but the studied contradict it , as high as 91% of the Isles population is of ethnic british origin, and even london is about 70% british isles descent. With the last on count we are not even considering all the large minorities of eastern european groups (such as poles).

Last edited by Traveler86; 11-06-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 AM

9 posts, read 15,878 times
Yes, Brits are Brits, a class of their own.

Yes, I find quite funny when tourists say "French..Spanish..Dutch are like this and like that"..when they probably did not meet any national of those countries. Almost all employees in the service sector are foreigners....Take a look at Barcelona, your friendly neighbour's tapas bar is now managed by a Chinese family, local groceris are owned by people from Pakistan..and all waiters are Argentinians, there must be a lot of them, also a lot of Ecuatorians, Romanians, you name it.

A lot of unemployment on papers, but you won't find locals for certain jobs...so the unemployment figure is all wet....and LOTS of locals living on the dole or "del invento" (anything that comes up).

Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM

72 posts, read 138,477 times
actually both ....but I would say a bit more Romance

Old 11-06-2013, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 138,477 times
Quote:
me too

Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
That's true, Switzerland and Austria have mostly foreigners from other european countries (mostly eastern europeans), and even those are not even close to being a large minority, only switzerland I recall have a large minority (about 25-27%) of immigrant population but although the large majority of them are from nearby european countries or eastern europe.
Actually, both Austria and Switzerland have a rather big portion of foreign born citizens

List of countries by foreign-born population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe