Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Like many other countries? I don't think so, I travelled extensively throughout Western Europe. The Netherlands, Denmark, the U.K. seem much more liberal, while Southern Europe is more staunchy and conservative, like Italy. Though it's true the colonialism style of Germanic-speakers in Africa, Asia, the New World was much more rigid towards the indigenous people of those respective areas than with Latin-speakers. However the Germanic-run colonies as a whole fared better than Latin ones gave birth to very indutrialised nations like the US, Canada in the New World, Australia, New Zealand former Hong Kong in Asia and South Africa, Namibia, Botswana were all former British colonies usually have a better standard of living and better infrastructure than most African nations. The English/British came out as the most successful colonialists, their language which is a West Germanic one became the world's most widely used language. Germanics of Germany should not only be defined by the Nazi-regime. Before the Germanic tribes wrote their laws in Latin, the Anglo-Saxons( English-Saxons) had already written their laws in Old English. It was Anglo-Saxons missionaries(Wilfrid, Willibrord, Willehad, Lebuin, Luidger, Ewald, Suidbert) who helped christianize the Germanic tribes and nations in Frisia and Germany. The patron Saint of Germany is St Boniface who was an Englishman who was from Wessex. I have no problem, if more people chose Romance Europe, but I stay with the Germanics.
Dude, I chose Germanic Europe as well, no one here tries to change your mind, you are entitled, as anyone else here, to an opinion: far from me to make you change ideas.
When I replied you, I merely wanted to correct and contextualize historical facts just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 PM

217 posts, read 277,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
Americans think that Europe is a Theme Park, really.
This. Its been quite amusing reading on this forum

Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You should try coming to visit the UK sometime, you will be in for a shock, you will find a populace FAR more mixed than Germany, Poland, Norway or Sweden (and even in these places people arent all 'tall blondes' like people like to think). Most British people dont have any look in particular they dont look particularly Germanic or latin (whatever the hell that is supposed to be when it comes to 'race' anyway!) - I think you will find that its also the same in Holland or France - these countries are not made up mainly of either Nordic blond musclemen OR small skinny latins! In fact I can guarantee if you could take school classrooms of Dutch, English or French kids and mix them all up you wouldn't notice ANY difference between them, there would be blond, brunette, green eyed, brown eyed, white, black and brown skinned kids altogether. All with diverse looks from ALL three countries.
True, there are blonds, brunettes, redheads, blackheads, blue/green/gray/hazel/brown-eyed in every European/white population whether Germanic,Latin or Slavonic. Nobody has refuted or said the contrary. If you think that's what being said, you are wrong. All that has been remarked in statistics concerning pigmentation of European populations is that the percentage of natural blondes/redheads/lighter complexions and light-eyed people is higher in Northern than in Southern Europe. So that's why Germanic countries as a whole have higher percentages of people with lighter complexions than Latin countries. Most of Germanic countries are located in Northern and Central Europe, thus would most likely be lighter. However on individual basis, a Spaniard can be tall, blonde, blue-eyed while a German can be brunet, brown-eyed, but over-all Germans are lighter than Spaniards. the U.K., the Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia are over-all lighter than France, Iberia, Italy due to the fact those nations are located in a more northerly location. Surprisingly the Germanic-speaking populations have been shown to cluster genetically close. That doesn't mean there is no diversity either.

Last edited by saxonwold; 03-19-2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,246 times
I am a Latin who voted for German Europe - I was always more attracted to their work ethic, Protestant culture, Gothic architecture, you name it. I was surprised to see Brits voting for Latin Europe. I was wondering how many of us chose our "opposites" - the grass looks greener on the other side

Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 PM

301 posts, read 521,470 times
I'm British and I voted for germanics because i am an anglo Saxon/Celt and I believe we have a great culture and civilisation.
I think most brits also voted for our Germanic culture

Old 03-22-2014, 01:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevityLetter View Post
I am a Latin who voted for German Europe - I was always more attracted to their work ethic, Protestant culture, Gothic architecture, you name it. I was surprised to see Brits voting for Latin Europe. I was wondering how many of us chose our "opposites" - the grass looks greener on the other side

PS. 'gothic' architecture is germanic only by its name. Gothic architecture originate in France. Spain and France are the countries in which gothic architecture has been
the most spread.

The name 'gothic' was not shoosen because it was originary from goths but because in early renaissance times everything that was not realted to classical antiquity was called depreciatively 'gothic', because it was pervieved as unrafined medieval barbarian stuff, which is actually very unfair for gothic architecture which was extremeny rafined and technically very inventive.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Quote:
This is the kind of argument the Nazis used to use when declaring the Russians as some kind of 'inferior race', I'm sorry but most of us have gotten past this stereotypical nonsense, like it or not the English are NOT some kind of Saxon breed just as the French are NOT some kind of Latin breed!! I HATE to say it but the French, English, Dutch, Belgians or Austrians are all identical! I know you think it but you are NOT some kind of 'special' French breed.
I'm sorry but you seem to have problems to understand your own language... I precisely spend my time on this forum explaining that "latin", "germanic", or "celtic", do not refer to one stereotypical look or genetical origin. But to cultural classifications bases on the language ! I'm sorry to see that ot is something you seem complelty unable to understand´ even in your own language...

I'm sorry to notice too that you are the one here who always seem to act as if some looks where supposed to be better than others'... As if you felt that having strong presence of people with light hair/ light skin was somthing to be ashamed of and as if a country had to be more mediterranean looking to be "cool"... This is his kind of inferiority complex that led to nazis to developp their racist theories. No one look is to be ashamed, every colors are great, whatever they are light´ blond, black skin or rosy skin...

The french are latin not because we would supposed to be of a "latin breed"´ ( the sorts of terms that YOU and nazis are found of), but because we speak a romance language. I feel sorry for you if you live with conception in which you believe that being germanic is a term that means been tall/blond/blue eyed... Nobody here except you and the nazis thought such nonsense. In all germanic countries there are variations of looks within the population. Brown haired germans, dutch, danish or british are in no way "less germanic" or less "pure breeds" as you like to say than their more light-featured compatriots. They all belong in the same way to the same germanic identity because they all belong to the same germanic-based culture, and not because of the way they look.

Quote:
I HATE to say it but the French, English, Dutch, Belgians or Austrians are all identical! I know you think it but you are NOT some kind of 'special' French breed.

If by "been identical" you mean that there are various kinds of looks in those place, this is exactly what all people on this forum try to explain to you (even saxonwold who is someon who believe that ethnicities are defined by genetics will agree with that)

You can extend this thought to all Europe, and even to the all world... France and Brazil have identical looking populations if you mean that they have diverse looks in there populations... Or even the UK and Nigeria are identical since you can be black citizen in both countries... But why is it SO difficult for you to understand that STATISTICALLY the proportions of those various looks are not the same at all? And when it quite easy to find black citizen or short dark haired man in the UK´ the probability to find a Nigerian (or even a french) who looking like prince Harry, has a lower probability... All countries are diverse but the proportions varies following the geographicaĺ localisation, that´s all that is been said here and that´s you visibly complelty unable to understand. But feel free to live in your world where UK population is identical (=having identical proportions of various looks) to france's or Spain's or even Brazil's

Old 03-25-2014, 05:51 AM

81 posts, read 108,934 times
Totally right. One of the most patriotic British enclaves is Gibraltar, and they do look hardcore Andalusians. People in Spain find funny the fact that they say "I'm British" in a fiery Andalusian dialect...something like "zoy brijaniko".

I might say that British are much better at creating a "Empire" awareness, much better at integrating different ethnicities in a "manifest destiny"....Spain never could do that since the country has been loosing cohesiviness since 714, by the way, back then Spain was a Germanic country.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM

301 posts, read 521,470 times
Gibraltar is a beautifull place and unique in that it is a British territory, with British culture, politics, economics, but with a very visible Mediterranean vibe.
There are the native Latin people who are very patriotic to Britain and consider themselves British and there are the English expats that live there because they like living in a British culture country but with a Mediterranean climate and Latin vibe.
People from Spain are very confused when they see this, many of them still think that Gibraltar belongs to Spain and Britain should give it back to them, and they don't like the fact that the Latin people living in gibraltar consider themselves as British citizens and want Gibraltar to remain British.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 AM

81 posts, read 108,934 times
Did you find all that in Internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe