Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,301,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
The Inquisition was Roman (The Pope). Social Darwinism, all around Europe.

Crusaders and NAZIS were not different. Nazis HAD their crazed religion (there are many books about the subject).

Who cares if the scapegoat was the Holy Land or "Aryan" people or Jews? (The same scapegoats used one time after another...)..

Nazis and Crusaders did not believe in the Holy Land, the Holy Grial, Aryans, etc, etc, they only wanted POWER, RICHES and an excuse to KILL AND PLUNDER.
if the nazi party and catholics were such comfortable bed fellows

how come modern neo nazis hate catholics along with various other minoritys , you only have to watch the move the blues brothers to know this

Old 08-27-2012, 05:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,217,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Is it important to like beer?
I don´t like beer.
Am I not germanic?
It is very important indeed.
But instead of beer, we can agree that "akvavit" and "sur strömming" is very germanic thing in Sweden, even that germans dont know anything about these.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,357,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
But instead of beer, we can agree that "akvavit" and "sur strömming" is very germanic thing in Sweden, even that germans dont know anything about these.
Thankfully I wasn't affected by this years surströmming premiere.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 AM

231 posts, read 506,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if the nazi party and catholics were such comfortable bed fellows

how come modern neo nazis hate catholics along with various other minoritys , you only have to watch the move the blues brothers to know this

You are talking about Hollywod nazis, or "American" nazis.
I am talking about real nazis.
Nazis hated everyone except them, and they decided who was "hatable" and not "hatable".

Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I would like to hear some real definitions of the term 'Germanic'. If by 'Germanic culture' one means the iron-age and early medieval societies, I don't consider a single nation 'Germanic'.

If you want a pagan and rune-writing society that punishes its criminals in a tribal assembly, you won't find them easily. If by 'Germanic' you mean cultures that has been influenced by german culture and people, I could name most European countries.

e: The Christmas tree origins from Germany. OP could want to add that to his list of criteria.

Ariete

I guess that the definition is strictly linguistic, so I guess that "Germanics" are all those tribes that were influenced by Germanic languages.

The origin of the language and culture is very recent, around 2400 years. It took place as a hybridization process between cultural Celts, cultural Slavs and people from the Jutland peninsula.

Historical Germania does not exists, since it spanned from the Rhine to the Vistula and included Ucraine. Most of those people moved south when Rome fell and founded modern Western European states. But their culture and language did not survive since they were a minority and they considered that their culture was inferior. For example, Visigoths only spoke Gothic during two or three generations when they ruled Spain.

The empty land in ancient Germania was occupied by people not related to historical Germans, but that assimilated their culture by diffusion, or maybe because of Scandinavian/Jutlandic invasions.

As to the Christmas tree, it's just a pagan tradition from before Christianity that survived in pagan regions, some regions in Scandinavia were pagan until relatively recent. "Pagan", paganus, "countryside", so rural people had Pagan, non-Catholic traditions.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
What has the year 1492 got to do with Germanic countries?

He's from Cascadia, he lives in a paralel universe in which Colombus was Luther and discovered the Fountain of Youth helped by aliens.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How so? I think both are strongly Germanic with some Celtic mixture.

More than 80 percent of all British genetic stuff predates Germanic invasions. The Blood of the Isles, Sykes.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post

Akvavit/Eau de vie/Aqua vitae/Schnaps/Brandy/Palinka/Orujo/Grappa, etc, etc, etc.
Present in every country since Arabs invented (or copied) alcohol destillation with Alembique in the 10th Century.
Maybe Ibn Yasid was a Viking.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,990,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
More than 80 percent of all British genetic stuff predates Germanic invasions. The Blood of the Isles, Sykes.
Really? Well it not so with the English side of my family father line as they can trace their descendants from Normandy over a thousand years ago.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Most of Normans were common Frenchmen, not descendants of Normans (just a few). So I guess you like frogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe