Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,553,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Can you actually do that though? I wouldn't want to try it.
I don't think you can do that. I know in the UK you can only get a visitor visa for 3 or 6? months in a 12 month period. You can't just leave and come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM

462 posts, read 1,175,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
There is no guarantee that you can get a new 90-day tourist visa every 3 months by taking a day trip to France etc. You can probably get away with it 2 or 3 times but sooner or later immigration control are likely to take the view that you are abusing the system. When that happens you will be refused entry - as a tourist you have no rights to enter the country - it's at their discretion. If you stick to 3 months per year you should be ok.
But I wouldn't want to go to France for a day and I have no interest in abusing the system. If I go to France, it will be with my mountain bike and I'll spend weeks (months?) there touring. Three months per year in Ireland will be fine to start with and if I have to eventually obtain a residency/extended stay visa, I can work to that goal. Thx-helpful replies.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,493,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I don't think you can do that. I know in the UK you can only get a visitor visa for 3 or 6? months in a 12 month period. You can't just leave and come back.
Nobody's talking about visitor visas.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM

317 posts, read 413,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Perfect. Just to be clear, if I am a property owner in Ireland, without residency, it will not affect the type of visa they give me? I can't imagine how they would know that I'm a property owner-well, actually I can; everything is on computer records nowadays-but my concern is that property ownership in Ireland may require me to obtain a non-tourist (or resident) visa? Thx for the replies, they have been very helpful.
Your status as a property owner makes no difference in your residency status. If it were that easy for foreign property owners to buy their way into an EU residence permit, every Russian billionaire would have an EU passport already. In fact, you may be in for a shock when you try to obtain property insurance or a mortgage (if you need to finance at all) being a non-EU person without a residence permit.

If I were you, I'd consult a property expert in Ireland instead of City-Data before making such a drastic move.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times
I don't think it is difficult to retire in Ireland. Retirees are often welcome, unlike non-retired immigrants who tend to take away jobs from locals. Retirees usually pay taxes, at least VAT on the stuff they buy, while not taking anything away from anyone.

I hope the reentry practice will be eliminated soon and around the world.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM

462 posts, read 1,175,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Your status as a property owner makes no difference in your residency status. If it were that easy for foreign property owners to buy their way into an EU residence permit, every Russian billionaire would have an EU passport already. In fact, you may be in for a shock when you try to obtain property insurance or a mortgage (if you need to finance at all) being a non-EU person without a residence permit.

If I were you, I'd consult a property expert in Ireland instead of City-Data before making such a drastic move.
I already have. I posted here to see if anyone on the forum was going through a similar situation so I could get the benefit of their experience. Drastic???? Really?????

Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Yea, I think you'd get kicked out if you did that.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You can't get any other type of visa.

ROI isn't the USA.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Excuse me, but yes they were.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think it is difficult to retire in Ireland. Retirees are often welcome, unlike non-retired immigrants who tend to take away jobs from locals. Retirees usually pay taxes, at least VAT on the stuff they buy, while not taking anything away from anyone.

I hope the reentry practice will be eliminated soon and around the world.
I doubt it's any easier than the UK. Retirees use the health care without ever having paid into it. Why would any country want that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe