Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times

Advertisements

There are two parts to Turkey. Both are Moslem. However, one part is developing rapidly in economic terms and it is a secular society. People from this part of Turkey are attracted to economic opportunity. They work hard and integrate well. The other part is rural, traditional and poor. They are attracted to welfare. They integrate poorly and cling to all aspects of traditional society. It really takes 3 generations before they break out of that mold entirely

That's my experience. Yes, is support Turkey's admission to the EU and I also support structural economic and immigration reforms that will create more economic opportunity and provide less welfare to everyone, except the very young, the very sick and the very old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Are you actually in an EU country, or are you just spreading your anti-Muslim rhetoric for your own personal gratification? Have you ever actually visited Turkey?
No, No and No!

But I am from the UK and I can tell you that most people there do not want yet another country joining the EU and coming over taking our jobs and benefits.

Not to mention the fact that Turkey is basically in Asia.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't necessarily advocate Turkey joining the EU, and even consider muslim immigration to western Europe to have been largely problematic for both parties, but you can't be serious with that statement! There are Muslim majority countries in Europe and it has centuries of history in various location on the continent. Moreover, it is no less a European religion then Christianity, which is also a Middle Eastern religion, which was invented there and popularized there before moving into Europe
Muslim majority countries such as where?

Perhaps Bosnia and Albania but they are not in the EU either.

And Christianity is different, it has been around long enough in Europe to become the way we do things - no room for another belief system though.

Should we let the Afghan Taliban join the EU as well?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
There are two parts to Turkey. Both are Moslem. However, one part is developing rapidly in economic terms and it is a secular society. People from this part of Turkey are attracted to economic opportunity. They work hard and integrate well.
How can you possibly know that - are you speaking for all the Turks in you chosen section of the country?

So what if they work well anyway - I hear the Chinese are also keen workers , so can they join the EU too?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Muslim majority countries such as where?

Perhaps Bosnia and Albania but they are not in the EU either.

And Christianity is different, it has been around long enough in Europe to become the way we do things - no room for another belief system though.

Should we let the Afghan Taliban join the EU as well?
Just because Kosovo, Albania and Bosnia are not in the EU that does not make them not European countries. They are populated by European people, are clearly on the European continent, and are indisputably European in every other aspect of their culture. Macedonia also has a huge, old muslim population. No, you should not let the Afghan Taliban join the EU, but you should also not deny the existence of three muslim majority European countries and imply that they aren't European people. It may not have a history in Britain, but it does indeed have a history in the Balkans. Being a European country is not dependent on membership in the EU club.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Get a map and look up countries like Malta and Cyprus. Hint: They are also not in Europe. There are plenty of good reasons to be sceptical about Turkey joining the Union. But that's definitely not one of them.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 AM

if the EU stands for European Union then being part of Europe geographically is a must.

Otherwise the name must be changed.

Malta, Cyprus not in Europe - ok I will check, but sounds iffy to me.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
if the EU stands for European Union then being part of Europe geographically is a must.

Otherwise the name must be changed.
I suggest to start a European Citizens Initiative to get the name changed, as Malta is geographically in Africa an Cyprus in Asia.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
No, No and No!

But I am from the UK and I can tell you that most people there do not want yet another country joining the EU and coming over taking our jobs and benefits.

Exactly we are all fed up of migrants. There are too many they come for benefits.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't necessarily advocate Turkey joining the EU, and even consider muslim immigration to western Europe to have been largely problematic for both parties, but you can't be serious with that statement! There are Muslim majority countries in Europe and it has centuries of history in various location on the continent. Moreover, it is no less a European religion then Christianity, which is also a Middle Eastern religion, which was invented there and popularized there before moving into Europe (Armenia converted first, then Ethiopia, and it was a popular and tolerated religion all throughout Persia before it was legalized in Rome).
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Get a map and look up countries like Malta and Cyprus. Hint: They are also not in Europe. There are plenty of good reasons to be sceptical about Turkey joining the Union. But that's definitely not one of them.
Exactly, neither religious ideology (which neither Turkey nor Europe really have for a century or two now) nor any narrow intepretation of geography is the deciding factor. Neither argument stands up to any logic, except political rhetoric.

Whether Turkey joins the EU will first depend on the political economic expediencies of the moment (trade, foreign direct investment, and who controls them). Then whatever ideology that is necessary to support the policy will come out of the woodwork as if by magic.

Since the year one, that's usually how it works among humans, the case of the EU-Turkey relationship is no exception.

Right now the balance of power does not favor Turkey joining the EU, though tomorrow may be another story, who knows? Personally I am not holding my breath.

But did you notice that the North Atlantic directly touches the Turkish coast, for example? Geez, it only takes a five-hour plane ride from the North Atlantic coast of Turkey to Washington.

Yes, the airplane joke.

Please.

Last edited by bale002; 04-24-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe