Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,934 times

Advertisements

NO because of following reasons:

1. They deny the Armenian and Assyrian Genocide during WWI (Killed more than 1.5 M)
2. 99.8% Muslim
3. Too far east to be considered European
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM

370 posts, read 951,415 times
Too far east to be considered European?
Idiotic.
The only reason barring Turkey is historical, the destruction of Byzance 550 years ago.
The destruction of the Eastern Roman Empire was another proof of European inability to form a large political and military union.
If all Turks were like the inhabitants of Istambul, they would be part of the EEC right now since Istambul is European.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,094,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Turkey is a fascinating country. I've never been but I would definitely love to visit if I had the opportunity. If Turkey fulfilled the criteria to join the European Union then why not?

They have only opened a few chapters so they have a long way to go yet. Turkey would have to recognise women's rights, freedom of religion, gay rights and freedom of speech for starters. They have a long way to go but they are one of the most tolerant Muslim countries.

The western part of Turkey is a lot more compatible with Europe but the eastern part is still very tribal and stuck in another era.

I've often wondered if the Turkish people are aware of the changes they would have to make in their society to join the European Union?

My answer is yes if they fulfill the criteria.
I don't think the people are ready.
Muslims are not like Christians that often times, forget the Christian values just to keep up with changes in this world. Muslims are very faithful to their religion and to the values that are instilled in them since they were small. So I think it will be very complicated to join the EU .

Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,963 times
Surprise..not everybody wants to move the the U.K. just because they can - especially with high unemployment, low economic growth etc. Get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't think the people are ready.
Muslims are not like Christians that often times, forget the Christian values just to keep up with changes in this world. Muslims are very faithful to their religion and to the values that are instilled in them since they were small. So I think it will be very complicated to join the EU .
Ah, the good ol' "Christian values". So you mean protesting equal rights such as for gays and lesbians is "keeping up with changes in this world"? Or ,maybe we should ask the pope what he thinks about condoms or other contraceptives.

That's hilarious.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM

But nobody gives a fa.r.t for what the Pope thinks because a thing called "laicity". What's wrong with protesting gay wedding or abortion?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,963 times
Exclamation Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
But nobody gives a fa.r.t for what the Pope thinks because a thing called "laicity". What's wrong with protesting gay wedding or abortion?
You are right. Protesting against human rights is, indeed, very Christian.

So you don't care what your boss thinks? that's what the pope is. You can't sign up for something and then cherry pick. If you're in it, you accept him and his views.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You are right. Protesting against human rights is, indeed, very Christian.

So you don't care what your boss thinks? that's what the pope is. You can't sign up for something and then cherry pick. If you're in it, you accept him and his views.

I was born a Catholic, just as my ancestors during the last 1700 years, and indeed, I'm a Catholic. But for me it's more a cultural thing, hell, I'm not a Baptist!!!

But really, you can protest whatever you want here because nobody cares. Gay wedding? Who cares? The Holy Cow, who cares? Religion is not a serious thing, only when you are dying or during Christmas and some hours during Easter. Yes, I accept the Pope just as I accept Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. I love Saints, I've got a bunch of saints. I love romanesque churches and gregorian chants and bells, I love bells.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,094,732 times
Quote:
Surprise..not everybody wants to move the the U.K. just because they can - especially with high unemployment, low economic growth etc. Get over yourself.

Ah, the good ol' "Christian values". So you mean protesting equal rights such as for gays and lesbians is "keeping up with changes in this world"? Or ,maybe we should ask the pope what he thinks about condoms or other contraceptives.

That's hilarious.
Why ? Isn't it that there are already many changes in this world ? You mentioned about gay marriages, there were none before right ? There were no abortions before, now it is legal in some countries.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,849 times
All this could be much easier if Europe just surrendered before a new Sultan.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
You can't sign up for something and then cherry pick. If you're in it, you accept him and his views.
Well, you can pick and choose. That's what millions of Europeans do. Myself included. You don't have to accept everything someone is saying, you can challenge it. And with a bit of luck, something will change at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe