Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You dont be part of a religion for culture.
I agree. This "cultural Catholic" or "cultural Christian" terms are non-sense and offensive. What does that even mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 AM

370 posts, read 951,415 times
What does that mean?
European Identity.
European Identity and Culture was forged around Christianity.
Impossible to explain Europe without Christianity.
I don't go to church, but I'm "cultural Catholic".
All Spanish are "cultural Catholics" notwithstanding the fact they declare themselves atheistics, communist, buddist or whatever.
The same goes for all Western Europe.
Offensive? To whom?
People that find that offensive should move to Afganistan.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Its still in south america.

Belfast is still in Ireland.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I think they should!

But I doubt it will happen anytime soon. The EU countries are reluctant to accept a new member with a majority Muslim population (despite the country being secular since the 1920s).

And other reason is because the Turkish government refuses to admit that the Ottoman Empire committed genoicide on the Armerians and having issues with its neighbors.

Nobody gives a crock if they are Muslims or not. If they were Muslims as the ones in Sarajevo, liberal and cultured people far more tolerant than Orthodox Christian, nobody would care. Problem is "deep Turkey". I think that Turkey will join the EEC in the distant future.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM

228 posts, read 367,760 times
No, they shouldn't join. First of all, they don't have democracy, you can be shot there just for protesting. Secondly, they are Muslims and the ones living in the eastern part are quite fanatic too

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM

257 posts, read 518,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
No, they shouldn't join. First of all, they don't have democracy, you can be shot there just for protesting. Secondly, they are Muslims and the ones living in the eastern part are quite fanatic too
The ones living in the East are not even Turks. They are Kurds and they are fanatic because they do not have their own country. Kurds live also in Syria, Iraq and Iran not to mention countries such as Lebanon or Azerbaijan. I am trying to say that they fight Turks cause they don´t want to be ruled by them. All in all I think a country having such problems can not join an organization such as the EU.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:10 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Not at all.

Europe is a white continent - with shared values.

It is better to keep it relatively homogenous.
Europe is not homogenous. Far from it. A Greek and a Finnish person are not of the same race. Same way as a Bulgarian and a Irish are not of the same race.

Anyway the EU is a mistake. The EU was better from the 1950s to the 1990s. Yet the emergence of a single currency stuffed it up.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM

76 posts, read 209,330 times
Greeks and Finnish are Caucasics, so are Turks.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,612 times
I think, Europe must stop now. Maybe European Union should let Serbia to become its member, because after it was bombed by NATO, I believe that European Union has responsibility for its future, and should let the younger generation that do not remember the war or just want to make business in Europe, to join.

But Turkey has more logical connections with Middle-Eastern countries and with Azerbaijan.

And indeed maybe even Greece should not have became a member of Eurozone in the past (which is not the same as EU).

Europe is a succesor of the Empire of Carolus Magnus, which included modern France, Germany and Austria and some parts of Italy.

Britain and Spain (though, Spain has complex history) are also the parts of Western Europe.

Central European countries (Czech Republic and Poland) was able to fit. Baltic countires is small and it was natural for them to enter the EU (but still they have economical connections with Russia (Lithuanian and Latvian food can still be found in Russian supermarkets).

But Turkey - a country with absolutely different culture, yes, ancient, yes, we can respect it, but it is different. And it is not a small Baltic country, it is a big country with large population and lots of young people.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,079,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
As a Turk, I dont want to join EU either.
You are right that we dont have a western-like democracy.Actually there is no demecoracy, no freedom of speech or free protesting rights and etc.
We are not generally shot just for protesting.Do not exagerate this.
About kurds ,historically living eastern part of Turkey but nowadays there are living everwhere, Kurds and Turks are different in all ways such as race,customs, languages,clothing styles,phsical apperance and etc.

So In the past there is a huge support to join EU in Turkey but nowadays this trend is decreasing.
we know that EU is a christian union as a generally muslim living country we are aware that we will never be a member of EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe