Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

As long as they contribute to the UK economy and abide by UK laws I have no problem with Turkish immigrants. All the hysteria whipped up by certain quarters over immigration is in my opinion shameful. Immigration on the whole ( and yes there are black sheep exceptions as there are everywhere) is a boost to the British Economy.

Business Matters: Can immigration boost the UK economy?

Immigration 'boosts the British economy by £1,650 per head' - Home News - UK - The Independent

Turkish people in my experience work extremely hard and are the most secular Muslims on the planet so to me fears about this appalling influx which might happen are totally unfounded.

Also Turkey's economy is probalby doing better than the UK economy so I am not sure why that many Turks would find this country that appealing.... And those who seek economic migration are far more likely to seek countries with higher levels of Turkish Communities such as Germany or countries closer to them culturally ( ie : Mediterreanean countries).

It is quite insulting to somehow assume everyone dreams of settling in the UK.

Why do we also never mention the UK emigrants who go and take jobs in other countries by emigrating ? Are they supposed to somehow be more desirable to their hosts' economies simply because they are British, or perhaps because they are White ???? It seems to me double standards apply.

As long as someone is a contributor to the UK economy , integrates and does not break the law I could not care less where they come from personally. The UK would be a far blander, more boring country without immigration. Demonising immigrants simply because of their status is despicable IMO and intellectually dinsingenous, too often ignoring the actual facts of net boost to the local and national economies and social contributions.

The media loves to highlight those minorities of immigrants who have played or abused the system. Funny how the positive contributions ( economic or cultural) are never quite as popular in newspapers and news shows.... Better to play on the fear and loathing of the foreigners than actually look up at hard economic truths for example.

Personally I wish we could send all all home grown wastrels, criminals, drunks, anti-social vandalising thugs to some remote Island. That would certainly make a huge amount of space for law abiding well behaved Natives. What a lovely prospect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Also Turkey's economy is probalby doing better than the UK economy...
Not even close.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not even close.
Not in terms of size but in terms of Growth ? It is being called by many economists the "China" of Europe is Europe's fastet growing economy. I think last year was growing at 8.5 % which is pretty darn good. Considering that the UK economy I think has grown by nil per cent , I think that is pretty respectable.

I have been to Turkey many times and the last time I was there I was surprised at the changes in the country ( obviously rural areas are still way, way behind as it always is to begin with when countries start growing quickly). It surprised me what a modern , efficient and the sense of optimism and entrepeneurshhip there was.

Foreign investors are pouring in right now.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

17 posts, read 24,674 times
Hello,
I'm definitely against Turkey joining EU. Why?
Because:
- majority of Turks do not want to assimilate with european societies
- suddenly there would be an influx of ~10-20 million people invading Europe only to get some social benefits (especially for having a lot of kids)
- Turkey borders Iraq etc. which would endanger our EU border, and we would be in even greater danger of terrorists' attacks

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Sure as long as Turkey meets the EU's conditions for accession and settles their differences on Cyprus amicably. Those goals are pretty tough to meet and if met would pretty much override any of the more rational arguments against Turkey's membership.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-01-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Not in terms of size but in terms of Growth ? It is being called by many economists the "China" of Europe is Europe's fastet growing economy. I think last year was growing at 8.5 % which is pretty darn good. Considering that the UK economy I think has grown by nil per cent , I think that is pretty respectable.
Your post did not mention growth, and really, who cares about growth, it is all relative. Even growing at that rate, it is still very far behind the UK economically. This is like bragging someone went from a 100kg bench press to a 150kg bench press, and saying how great the 50% growth is compared to the person who went from a 500kg bench press to a 505kg bench press.

Quote:
I have been to Turkey many times and the last time I was there I was surprised at the changes in the country ( obviously rural areas are still way, way behind as it always is to begin with when countries start growing quickly). It surprised me what a modern , efficient and the sense of optimism and entrepeneurshhip there was.

Foreign investors are pouring in right now.
You want to provide some examples of changes?

FDI has increased a lot over the last decade, most of it from the EU. For 2009, FDI in Turkey was $15 billion. In contrast, the UK it was $45 billion in which that has increased to almost $100 billion in 2011 since recoverying from the financial crisis. For 2007 FDI for Turkey was $22 billion, while for the UK it was $186 billion.

So while Turkey is improving, it is not in the same league as the UK.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkyros View Post
- suddenly there would be an influx of ~10-20 million people invading Europe only to get some social benefits (especially for having a lot of kids)
- Turkey borders Iraq etc. which would endanger our EU border, and we would be in even greater danger of terrorists' attacks
1) 10-20 million people invading Europe? Are you just throwing that number out there? There's over 70 million people in Europe

2) LOL at your Iraq comment. You know very little about Turkey to think this matters.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times
I always thought of Turkey as more middle eastern than European.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 24,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) 10-20 million people invading Europe? Are you just throwing that number out there? There's over 700 million people in Europe [Yep, You're right, but EU has a population of ~500 million)

2) LOL at your Iraq comment. You know very little about Turkey to think this matters.
Ad. 1
I know that there are significantly more people already in EU, but those Turks that would immigrate after Turkey joined EU, would be just too much.
They would focus on big cities in western Europe only to get some social security benefits.

Ad.2 Am I wrong that it would create a dangerous and poorly guarded border? (people from Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria(!) would try to emigrate to EU)

Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,516 times
Is not about Turks but about Islam. Any muslim is loyal to Quran and Muhammad, not to the non-islamic state he/she lives in. Is a potential traitor.

And as the Turkish government is becoming more and more islamic, for the moment Turkey should not be accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe