Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess that 'sucking up' might be one of the reasons why some Europeans are not overly fond of Britain. They are wondering why Britain is in the EU when at the same time it keeps sabotaging it wherever it can. It is a matter of loyalty. I bet Europeans would not give a damn if Britain left the EU and became the 51st state of the US. Then at least they would know what Britain really wants. Now, though, it appears like the US Trojan horse, especially after the Snowden leaks...
Sure, but I would hardly call this kind of criticism "anti-British". It's a legitimate point and it doesn't extend to Britain as a whole (in terms of culture or people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Sure, but I would hardly call this kind of criticism "anti-British". It's a legitimate point and it doesn't extend to Britain as a whole (in terms of culture or people).
Oh no, I have hardly ever heard anything negative about Britain, I was referring to politics...

Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry but how exactly am I 'sucking up to the US???' The fact of the matter is Britain is closer to other 'Anglo' countries - that also means Australia, Canada and New Zealand among others! If you fail to see the historic connections between these countries and the UK then I don't know what to say! We drive on the left like the Australians, we use mph and pounds like US, we play cricket and rugby against the New Zealanders - Many English actors and celebrities are also celebrities in the said countries far more than the rest of Europe combined! Is there any Dutch icons in the American or Canadian Psyche as much as King Arthur, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond or Harry Potter?? I am not saying the 'Anglo' culture is better or worse than any European culture but its just 'different'
In bold

Are you implying that Europe as one culture, maybe not consciously but statements like that lead me to believe that you really think the UK is very disconnected from Europe. What is ''European culture'' anyway?? Coffee drinking weird talking people, because we drink coffee, are weird talking (to other countries) I don't get it I really don't.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but how exactly am I 'sucking up to the US???' The fact of the matter is Britain is closer to other 'Anglo' countries - that also means Australia, Canada and New Zealand among others! If you fail to see the historic connections between these countries and the UK then I don't know what to say! We drive on the left like the Australians, we use mph and pounds like US, we play cricket and rugby against the New Zealanders - Many English actors and celebrities are also celebrities in the said countries far more than the rest of Europe combined! Is there any Dutch icons in the American or Canadian Psyche as much as King Arthur, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond or Harry Potter?? I am not saying the 'Anglo' culture is better or worse than any European culture but its just 'different'
France, The Netherlands, Spain and Portugal also have historical connections to other countries overseas. That doesn't make any of them less European.

Europe is incredibly diverse. The UK just adds to that diversity.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
In bold

Are you implying that Europe as one culture, maybe not consciously but statements like that lead me to believe that you really think the UK is very disconnected from Europe. What is ''European culture'' anyway?? Coffee drinking weird talking people, because we drink coffee, are weird talking (to other countries) I don't get it I really don't.
I can't understand why you think I am being 'negative about Europe in any way - I am not, I know that European countries have their own cultures, of course they do, I am just saying that Britain is the most 'distant' country in its 'culture' - not because Britain 'wants' to be but because of historical links with Anglo' nations - the fact that we all speak the same language and use the same weights and measures, share the same TV and films and listen to the same music means it is easy to continue to be linked in 'popular' culture with them as apposed to 'other' European countries. If anything over recent years Britain's have tried to be more European, as you know Britain's love holidaying in Europe but the language thing is a mighty 'strong' chain.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Oh no, I have hardly ever heard anything negative about Britain, I was referring to politics...
Britain's decision to drop the 'real' welfare state has been under some criticism here. Among with a lot other things. And people were almost dancing on Maggie's grave as well...

Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
What I did notice about Brits is that they are a bit cold and standoffish, more so than Americans actually. They are stuffy just like Germans...

I think the UK is as much a small version of the US as Portugal is a small version of Brazil, which I sometimes hear people say
What do you mean cold?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes and only because of that not because Europe is alien or completely disconnected from Europe culturally

Binge drinking in the Netherlands
Binge drinking on the rise amongst Dutch teens | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Dutch dinners consists of potatoes, with vegetables, meat and gravy, or a ''stew'' where potatoes and vegetables are mixed in. Current Dutch dinners is often heavily influenced by foreign kitchen.

Dutch people are more reserved similar to the British, both countries are very multicultural,

Question: What is your hatred towards Europe?
Well each to their own. I will have to visit for myself.

I don't have a hatred for Europe, I just don't want to be considered part of the old, poor and small culture that thrives in Europe.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
I can't understand why you think I am being 'negative about Europe in any way - I am not, I know that European countries have their own cultures, of course they do, I am just saying that Britain is the most 'distant' country in its 'culture' - not because Britain 'wants' to be but because of historical links with Anglo' nations - the fact that we all speak the same language and use the same weights and measures, share the same TV and films and listen to the same music means it is easy to continue to be linked in 'popular' culture with them as apposed to 'other' European countries. If anything over recent years Britain's have tried to be more European, as you know Britain's love holidaying in Europe but the language thing is a mighty 'strong' chain.
Wait wait wait wait....

So because of Britain's strong ties with Canada, the USA, Australia and New Zealand we are some how more distant from Europe? How does that work, we can have both strong ties with the English speaking countries and still be very much connected to Europe. Yes, of course Britain is distant from Europe in a lot of ways but so is Norway distant in its own right. The distantness of the Countries make Europe what it is diverse culturally. As I said before within the European continent they're similarities.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
More European? I don't get that. Britain is nothing but European. Connections to other countries on other continents don't mean that you belong less to your own continent. And Britain is part of Europe in every way, just a couple of thousand years ago one could still walk from Denmark to Britain as the water level was much lower.
Nor do I consider Britain the most distant of European countries, far from it. I think that would probably be Greece because of its odd language and alphabet. Also ethnically Mediterranean countries are more distant from, say, Germany or the Netherlands than Britain is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe