Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
How's this for free and fair elections??? LMAO!!!

So much for free and fair elections in Ukraine. What a freaking circus.

TASS: World - Ukraine

Nadia Savchenko doesn't have the 90,000 plus dollars needed to get past the bouncers at the club entrance. Nor does 99.9999999 percent of the people of Ukraine.

You can add that Ukrainian citizens living in Russia (trying to feed their families back home and or bettering themselves) will not be able to vote because the Ukies refuse to set up any means for them to vote in Russia. They'll have to go outside of Russia if they want to vote.

Prolly because Russia would ensure their votes are handled correctly and legally.
You don't understand. It's all in the name of democracy !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,657 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZqOhz5JtdU&t=118s

Old 02-11-2019, 11:10 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
How's this for free and fair elections??? LMAO!!!

So much for free and fair elections in Ukraine. What a freaking circus.

Nadia Savchenko doesn't have the 90,000 plus dollars needed to get past the bouncers at the club entrance. Nor does 99.9999999 percent of the people of Ukraine.

You can add that Ukrainian citizens living in Russia (trying to feed their families back home and or bettering themselves) will not be able to vote because the Ukies refuse to set up any means for them to vote in Russia. They'll have to go outside of Russia if they want to vote.

Prolly because Russia would ensure their votes are handled correctly and legally.
If this is your best evidence that the elections aren't free and fair, it actually makes the opposite point. This lady is clearly mentally ill and polled with about 0.2% which would put her at maybe 40th place if she were on the ballot. You do have to pay money to be put on a ballot anywhere...

Okay Ukraine won't accept votes cast in Russia, what a big surprise there.

Clearly a circus. Keeping telling yourself that...

Old 02-11-2019, 06:11 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If this is your best evidence that the elections aren't free and fair, it actually makes the opposite point. This lady is clearly mentally ill and polled with about 0.2% which would put her at maybe 40th place if she were on the ballot. You do have to pay money to be put on a ballot anywhere...

Okay Ukraine won't accept votes cast in Russia, what a big surprise there.

Clearly a circus. Keeping telling yourself that...

It IS a circus, the problem is - this circus most likely will turn dangerous, when the "heroes of Anti-terrorist operation" will sense that Poroshenko is losing to someone else in *democratic* elections.
Because ( yet again) the EAST of the country is looking forward to nominating its own candidates ( be that Zelensky or "Party of Regions" candidates.) In fact, according to the latest news, Zelesnsky is in the lead so far...

( Yes, THIS Zelensky, the comedian ( this is his skit from years ago, a parody on Poroshenko.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qI23MRrx8

This will NOT sit well with the West of the country yet again.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM
DKM

Zelensky is so far a protest vote. The guy literally launched his campaign asking the voters what they want his platform to be. He has a good chance if he gets serious about running on an anti-corruption platform. He is Kolomoisky's guy though so ending corruption is unlikely to occur on his watch.

3 reasons Poroshenko will probably win the election: The urban voters don't want Tymoshenko to win. The economy is growing faster than in 8 years (although its still bad in the east). The independent church thing.

3 reasons Poroshenko will probably lose the election: The people are disappointed in his weak anti-corruption efforts. His overall incompetence. They almost never re-elect presidents.

What about Hrytsenko? Too bad he has the personality of a potato.

I could go on but its futile to speculate until the 1st round is held. Could Poroshenko pull a 1996 Yeltsin move? Maybe

Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Zelensky is so far a protest vote. The guy literally launched his campaign asking the voters what they want his platform to be. He has a good chance if he gets serious about running on an anti-corruption platform. He is Kolomoisky's guy though so ending corruption is unlikely to occur on his watch.

So was Trump)))

Quote:
3 reasons Poroshenko will probably win the election: The urban voters don't want Tymoshenko to win. The economy is growing faster than in 8 years (although its still bad in the east). The independent church thing.

3 reasons Poroshenko will probably lose the election: The people are disappointed in his weak anti-corruption efforts. His overall incompetence. They almost never re-elect presidents.

Try growing prices on energy ( courtesy of "European association,"/housing and low salaries, plus increasingly costly medical care on TOP of corruption.

Quote:
What about Hrytsenko? Too bad he has the personality of a potato.

Whoever he is, his rating is low.

Quote:
I could go on but its futile to speculate until the 1st round is held. Could Poroshenko pull a 1996 Yeltsin move? Maybe

Which move exactly?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So was Trump)))

Try growing prices on energy ( courtesy of "European association,"/housing and low salaries, plus increasingly costly medical care on TOP of corruption.

Whoever he is, his rating is low.
We agree. But the fact is wages have grown far faster than energy prices. New housing is going up and some people I know are buying new apartments for their growing families. Medical system corruption is apparently a platform of Tymoshenko. Not against, but for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Which move exactly?
I think you know what I mean. Its too early to tell. The odds are equal any of them could win.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
We agree. But the fact is wages have grown far faster than energy prices. New housing is going up and some people I know are buying new apartments for their growing families.

For some, apparently. For the majority however the life got harder. So the rift between the "have" and "have nots" is growing fast under Poroshenko ( which is quite predictable with the "liberal" economy and "EU association.")

Quote:
Medical system corruption is apparently a platform of Tymoshenko. Not against, but for.

It's not just corruption - it's increasingly "pay up or die" - the kind of system that exists in the US you know.

Quote:
I think you know what I mean. Its too early to tell. The odds are equal any of them could win.

Interestingly enough, I don't know the details.
I only know that in 1996 Yeltsin was so unpopular, that he was supposed to lose to Zuganov. ( Browder was writing about it in his book btw.,; in fact he met Zuganov during that big dinner in... London (?) no wait, he was the one who organized this dinner himself I think... and by the sound of it, everyone there was treating Zuiganov as the next president of Russia.

I know that the oligarchs got together to buy that election.
But how/what exactly was done - the details are sketchy for me.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 PM

102 posts, read 78,814 times
Is it truly bad in Ukraine? I have a friend there who works in the tech industry and he literally never mentions any problems. He makes it sound like a great place.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa555www View Post
Is it truly bad in Ukraine? I have a friend there who works in the tech industry and he literally never mentions any problems. He makes it sound like a great place.

If he is in tech industry, he should be OK. ( And if he is not local( foreigner) he will simply not be aware of the struggles of the regular people - he will see the "good side" of the country. Why not? As long as he has money - life in Ukraine is very cheap for those with $$$ now.)
As for the rest - they are struggling and migrating to Poland ( while Poles migrated elsewhere, looking for bigger salaries. And round and round it goes.)

Others are migrating to Russia in search of jobs, or they are trying to settle there for good. Lately Ukraine lost A LOT of people. Which is obviously NOT a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_km9tEnJYc

There are more videos on Youtube regarding economic hardships of Ukrainians, but they are in Russian for the most part.

... and this sort of reminds me of Russia of the 90ies. When the "liberal economic reforms" along with "democracy" were brought over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq308xBaoGk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe