Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
People are bringing up rare exceptions to the general culture of both places. Stereotypes are true most of the time, not all of the time.
I wouldn't say its rare exceptions that are friendly in Finland. The vast majority have been very friendly when I actually make the effort to talk to them. Just because they don't make unnecessary small talk or smile gormless smiles all the time, it doesn't mean they are a cold people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Empty barrels make the most noise.

Still waters run deep.

Speech is silver, but silence is golden.

Not really saying one is better than the other, but sayings like this do help explain the cultural underpinnings of why a people might generally see being careful with one's word is not only justifiable, but preferable.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:00 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Empty barrels make the most noise.

Still waters run deep.

Speech is silver, but silence is golden.

Not really saying one is better than the other, but sayings like this do help explain the cultural underpinnings of why a people might generally see being careful with one's word is not only justifiable, but preferable.
It not all just idle chatter but being helpful and making people feel welcome. Friendliness is not a negative trait afterall.

Examples are going out of your way if people are lost and being kind and helpful.

Something positive shouldn't be turned into a negative trait.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
No one who has spent any time in both Countries (Finland and Ireland) can say that the people in Finland are nearly as nice and friendly as the people in Ireland!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
No one who has spent any time in both Countries (Finland and Ireland) can say that the people in Finland are nearly as nice and friendly as the people in Ireland!
They're nice and friendly in a different way. They aren't so open with strangers so on a superficial level then yes, most of the time Irish people are more friendly than Finnish people, but once you are past the complete stranger stage then I've found Finns are really nice and friendly and go out of their way to help you if you need help. One example that comes to mind, someone I barely know drove 100s of kilometres just to pick me up from the airport and drive me home - if that's not nice then I don't know what is!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
You make it sound like all irish are friendly and all scandninavians are not.
Is it impossible in your little world to think that it might not be true?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswede View Post
you make it sound like all irish are friendly and all scandninavians are not.
Is it impossible in your little world to think that it might not be true?
most irish are friendly and most finns are cold and distant!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
Spent quite a bit of time in Ireland and in Sweden. Love the people in both places for different reasons.
I can't say that Swedes are colder (which has a negative connotation), though one might say they're more reserved than the Irish, overall.
And the Irish sense of humor and craic...well, not many nationalities can compete with those! :-)

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
And your source is?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
In my limited experience in Finland, I found Finns to be very friendly, and fun. (I also made a point of learning some basic Finnish before visiting. It makes a difference.) But why are we including Finland in "Scandinavia"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe