Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Brits do get wasted a lot as well. So they are also similar to Russians?
There is a massive difference. Even the Russian and Finnish women drop on the floor. It is rare Brit woman get totally incapable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:04 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, and from where did the Angles, Jutes and Saxons come from? From present day Poland and Germany. So to say Finns are Russians because they came originally from Russia makes as much sense as to say Englishmen are Poles.
It does make sense to say the Brits are German/Germanic Pole/Dane. As it makes sense to state that Finns are Russians.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-15-2014 at 06:12 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 06:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It does make sense to say the Brits are German/Germanic Pole/Dane. As it makes sense to state that Finns are Russians.
How so? Why does it make sense? Explain to me, please.

Finland was inhabited some 11,000 years ago, Russia was "born" some 500 years ago.

Quote:
There is a massive difference. Even the Russian and Finnish women drop on the floor. It is rare Brit woman get totally incapable.
Lol.
http://sobadsogood.com/2011/10/20/we...ritish-public/

In fact BTW, it is not considered really cool to drink until you drop in Finland.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
lol

Brighton Is a Paradise | VICE United Kingdom

Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,839,371 times
Quote:
British women are one of the biggest drunks my eyes have ever seen by a stretch.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
I take it you've never been out in town on a Friday or Saturday night then...

Old 03-15-2014, 06:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4

For example after watching this video, Russia feels like it would be on another planet. Something like this could never ever be possible in Finland. We don't have, and don't want to have anything in common with these barbarians.

This is how it's in Finland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlXCzi6dNtc

Last edited by Ariete; 03-15-2014 at 06:52 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
To the people who said that Finland was not part of Scandinavia:

The Countries of Scandinavia

Finland - Language, culture, customs and etiquette | global-etiquette | resources

Talk in moderate tones and do not do anything to call attention to yourself.

The basic business style is formal - i.e. there is relatively little small talk and Finns prefer people to speak succinctly and to focus purely on business.
The english language doesn´t have a word for Norden which Finland is part of, there for all english speakers lumps Finland together with Scandinavia.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
The english language doesn´t have a word for Norden which Finland is part of, there for all english speakers lumps Finland together with Scandinavia.
Or French, or German. There is a term "Pays Nordiques", but what I understand it isn't really used but is just a synonym to Scandinavia.

"En français, le terme Scandinavie est parfois utilisé comme synonyme de « Pays nordiques », alors que la Scandinavie ne comprend, au sens strict, que la Suède, la Norvège et le Danemark."

Scandinavie

Danemark
Finlande
Norvège
Suède
Islande
Îles Féroé

Bekannt für die skandinavischen Länder sind die an den Dannebrog angelehnten Kreuzflaggen, die jeder heutige Staat Skandinaviens hat. Auch skandinavische Provinzen und andere Regionen haben Kreuzflaggen (zum Beispiel Schonen, Småland und Åland).
Dänemark · Schweden · Norwegen · Finnland · Island · Åland · Färöer

Spanish and Italian are from what I gather a bit more strict.

The Dutch seem to use both (?) quite flexibly

1. Politiek gezien bestaat Scandinavië uit Denemarken, Noorwegen en Zweden. Dit is de definitie die in Scandinavië zelf wordt gehanteerd en men kan aan de hand van deze definitie stellen dat Scandinavië een deel van "Norden" is (zie derde definitie).
  2. Historisch en cultureel gezien bestaat Scandinavië uit de lidstaten van de Noordse Raad: Denemarken, Finland, IJsland, Noorwegen en Zweden. In het Deens, Noors en Zweeds wordt dit aangeduid als "Norden" en in het Fins als "Pohjoismaat".
Meestal wordt de tweede of de derde definitie gebruikt.

And noticed that the last time I went to the Netherlands. I ordered in English and the discussion went like this:

"Oh, are you from Germany?"
- No, from Finland
"Oh, I would've guessed. You Scandinavians speak always so good English!"

As I've said before, I have no energy to try to teach a term called the "Nordic Countries" to every foreigner I encounter, or correct them. I leave that to the anal Swedes and Norwegians who want to be a besserwisser.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Well, most people think that Scandinavia is just a synonym for Northern Europe. I guess they are not aware of the fact that the name of the peninsula is "Scandinavia". It's also a bit catchier than "Nordische Staaten"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe