Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Of course every country should be allowed to hold this and exit as long as they are only in EU and haven't join the federation.

I am pretty sure the UK won't join the federation so England against Germany/France/Spain/Italy might be a good match

Well this Thatcherite fence sitting is a slap in the face and must end. IN OR OUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
1. There is no strong push in Canada to be annexed by the U.S.

2. In Europe, the existing EU treaties and policies are optimal when a Superstate is formed, so the status quo creates imbalances and problems.
1. Yes, and hopefully that will change in the future (especially after the U.S. cleans its act up in regards to certain things).

After all, how exactly is Canada supposed to stay relevant by itself when its population is going to be massively smaller than the population of many other countries by the end of the 21st century?

2. To be fair, couldn't one simply try modifying these treaties and policies instead?

For the record, I myself am not opposed to European unification under certain specific circumstances. I simply want all of the arguments to be presented here.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
There has been quite a lot of sources nowadays about high-end EU officials attempting to move the EU towards a political federation like the Europe's version of the United States.

I personally think this integration into the European federation is inevitable, but before euro-phobes get pissed at me, I think it should be decided not by the citizens through a gradual process by which a national referendum in each member state of the EU will be held to let everyone in each member state decide whether they want to keep status quo or join the European superstate.

First, ministers from the EU commission should lay out all the rules, policies, and implications to everyone living in the European Union. For example, they will lay out the European federation's tax policies, single banking system, official languages at national level (probably English, French, German), change in administrative divisions, that all states have to adopt the Euro and all EU treaties without any opt-outs upon entering the European federation, and that the European federation will participate as a single entity in all sports team, etc.

Then each EU country will hold a referendum allowing their citizens to vote whether they want to join the European federation or prefer the status quo as merely a EU member. Of course, we expect most of the 28 EU countries will refuse to join this new superstate in their first referendum, but I think there will be a few countries that will choose to join the European Federation (such as Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, France, Germany, etc.) Those countries that pass this referendum will first integrate into the European superstate.

The countries that chose not to join the European federation can observe how the European Federation does economically and politically. With unified tax and a single banking system, I believe there is a good chance the new superstate will prosper. Then those individual sovereign countries can gradually join the United States of Europe through future referendums.

I don't see anything wrong with my suggestion as long as it respects the wills of citizens in the EU.
Over my dead body!

None of them Europeans will control MY country.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
1. It's either going to be EITHER the member state can withdraw based on a referendum for secession voted only be citizens of that member state (as in the current UK-Scotland situation)

2. OR by everyone in the superstate (as in the current Ukraine-Crimea situation which many countries see the referendum only voted by Crimeans illegal)…

3. As I said, it doesn't matter because I have said that all the details, including, rules, law, and constitution of the European federation will need to be laid out clearly to the people before they make a choice whether to join.
1. If the first option here is the one which is going to be implemented, then I will support such a super-state.

2. If the second option here is the one which is going to be implemented, then I will strongly oppose such a super-state, since it will be a violation of self-determination.

As a side note, I think that the current referendum in Crimea is not free or fair.

3. Actually, it does matter because people and countries can change their minds in regards to this later on. Imagine if a European country joins this super-state and then wants to leave it in several decades or in several centuries, only to be prevented from doing this.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Of course every country should be allowed to hold this and exit as long as they are only in EU and haven't join the federation.

I am pretty sure the UK won't join the federation so England against Germany/France/Spain/Italy might be a good match
Darling and Americans. When are yous going to learn that the UK does not equal England?

There are FOUR countries in the United Kingdom! Thats right you heard it FOUR!

Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. We are not England and I can assure we do not want to be and we are certainly fed up of being called England.

Get that into your head!

So friggen fed up of that. Its as if our countries don't exist!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ… The EU has progress to the point where they can only either move close towards a federation or untwine the whole integration process that has been going on for 50+ years.

This is the 21st century which a lot of emerging countries with massive and young population are rapidly developing. In comparison, the European countries' population are either declining or not growing much at all. Furthermore, the demographics are aging rapidly and the workforce will eventually shrink.
Take a look at UN's population database.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_population
In 1950, 13 EU countries were among the world's 50 most populous nations.
By 2050, only 5 EU countries will be in the world's 50 most populous nations.
Individual European countries will simply lose their positions at the international stage, especially when Europeans are used to quite high living standards (compared to rest of the world), failure to maintain a powerful presence at the global forum will further undermine their well-being.
By integrating into a single nation, the European superstate will at least remain as a global superpower which can rival the 3 major future economic powerhouses in the world: China, India, and the United States.
I'm pretty sure we in the UK can bear without perfectly well.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronoco View Post
It's clear how worthless the opinion of the common man really is here with their small mindedness and petty nationalism. If Europe wants to stay relevant and compete with China and the US they will have to start acting like one country. What do Euros want exactly, freedom and prosperity or more European wars LOL
I do not give one hoot about competing with China and USA. I have more important things on my mind.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I'm pretty sure we in the UK can bear without perfectly well.
Well, you guys can always join the U.S. if you want to.

After all, all of us were already previously under one leadership over two centuries ago, and this time, we won't have any problems with "taxation without representation".

Old 03-15-2014, 03:10 PM

I'd rather join America than that hoky poky nonsense.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I'd rather join America than that hoky poky nonsense.
Allright!

+1 for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe