Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I've been through that airport a dozen times. Pre-clearance is there so that they don't have to send Irish people back when they get to Boston or New York and not for any reason of cultural affinity. What does the number of visitors to Ireland have to do with anything? The vast majority have no idea what Irish people think about them. That's probably a good thing.
Most Irish like Americans. Stop with the American persecution complex. America is the most powerful country in the world and has global influence. Their movies, tv programs and music are the most popular worldwide. If you are worried about being unpopular Ireland is definitely not one of those countries you need to concern yourself with.

Ten Countries That Hate America Most - 24/7 Wall St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree. "All of Ireland" certainly wasn't supportive after the Sept. 11 attacks. I remember bigots like Fintan O'Toole having a go on the day after it in The Guardian. There was a palpable sense of "they had it coming" from many western countries immediately afterward including Ireland, Canada, UK and Australia. You can actually look this information up in the digital age. Question Time on the BBC and the CBC's TOwn Hall Meeting immediately come to mind.

I think that a lot of Irish in solidarity with the EU subscribe to the new pan-European identity as "not American" rather than what it actually is. That might be less true with the housing bubble and financial crisis appearing to put some cracks in Dublin's relationship with Brussels, but it was certainly true before the housing bubble burst. I think that Irish people believe themselves to be our cultural, intellectual and moral superiors. It's just one guy's opinion, but I'd bet my left nugget that I've spent more time exposed to Irish media and traveling in Ireland than any American on this board who isn't an expat.
Sorry I have to disagree. I don't think any decent minded person would feel anything but disgust for what happened on Sept 11. The majority of people did not by any stretch think that the Americans had it coming. You can find anything on the internet to support any view but the majority of Irish were in complete support of the US on that occasion.

Here are reactions from various countries to September 11, 2001.
Reactions to the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ireland declared a national day of mourning on Friday 14, September 2001 in solidarity with the US. Here is President Mary McAleese's reaction.

However, McAleese was especially distraught over the September 11, 2001, destruction of New York's World Trade Center, which took the lives of several Irish citizens. "This National Day of Mourning is a very special opportunity for us all to show solidarity with our brothers and sisters in the United States of America," she lamented, "May God guide us through these troubled times."

Irish people do not believe themselves to be American's cultural, intellectual and moral superiors. I've never heard that before. All I can say is I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with some Irish people but Irish people in no way dislike Americans. I would say that it is one of the most popular nationalities in Ireland.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 AM

121 posts, read 110,769 times
I wouldn't expect the same reaction from McAleese as I would from much of the Irish press and public. That would be foolish. But it was definitely there and it represented a sizeable minority. I'd say about the same as here in Australia with most of the left and elements of the right.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't expect the same reaction from McAleese as I would from much of the Irish press and public. That would be foolish. But it was definitely there and it represented a sizeable minority. I'd say about the same as here in Australia with most of the left and elements of the right.
There are some people with strange views everywhere. Most people where horrified and saddened by Sept 11. There were some very heroic people on that day. I think everyone would agree that New Yorkers conducted themselves very admirably at what must have been an unbelievably frightening time. You will always get all sorts of views in the media and someone controversial will always get a voice because that's what the media wants to create more interest. The media of a country doesn't speak for the majority. They many times have a biased view depending on their own interests.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 AM

Who do the media speak for, then? If there was no audience for those views, the media outlets wouldn't exist. The national broadcaster of Ireland is reflexively anti-American, as well as the Times and the Independent.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Who do the media speak for, then? If there was no audience for those views, the media outlets wouldn't exist. The national broadcaster of Ireland is reflexively anti-American, as well as the Times and the Independent.
Media don't speak for the majority of people. They are journalists with their own views on things. They don't do a survey of what the majority think everytime they put out a story. Sometimes people will agree sometimes they don't. That's why you get a lot of people writing letters to the Editor.

The majority of people in any country are fairly apathetic. Do you really think a newspaper is a good way to guage what a country's people think? Some newspapers cater more to the left and some more to the right.

Anyway I don't know what else I can say to you other than the vast majority of Irish people have good feelings towards Americans. Many have relatives there and they are very well liked.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 AM

The overall spectrum of media is a pretty good indicator of how people think, in my opinion. I don't agree with you about Irish people liking Americans as I've spent too much time there to believe that.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
The overall spectrum of media is a pretty good indicator of how people think, in my opinion. I don't agree with you about Irish people liking Americans as I've spent too much time there to believe that.
Well you obviously have met different people to me. I wonder why you would spend so much time in a place where people don't like you anyway?

I'm sure other Americans have had very different experiences. As I've said umpteen times I've never come across anti-Americanism in Ireland in fact the opposite. I spent quite a bit of time with two American girls in the Irish countryside and they were very popular and well-liked.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
I'm sure all of my Irish cousins and relatives that were calling our house concerned the day of September 11th "hate" Americans.
I guess that's why they also seem to visit The US nearly every year.

It sounds like your experiences are very personal and maybe is an indicator of the type of people you associate with.
Many Americans have deep ties to Ireland and vice versa.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
I've been through that airport a dozen times. Pre-clearance is there so that they don't have to send Irish people back when they get to Boston or New York and not for any reason of cultural affinity. What does the number of visitors to Ireland have to do with anything? The vast majority have no idea what Irish people think about them. That's probably a good thing.
oh dear lord!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe