Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm sure all of my Irish cousins and relatives that were calling our house concerned the day of September 11th "hate" Americans.
I guess that's why they also seem to visit The US nearly every year.

It sounds like your experiences are very personal and maybe is an indicator of the type of people you associate with.
Many Americans have deep ties to Ireland and vice versa.
Yes I agree. Many Irish and Americans have deep ties. I feel a close connection with Americans and have relatives in that great country. I have a very positive image of Americans and I hope they will continue to visit Ireland. They are very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
oh dear lord!!!
I second that.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm Scots-Irish, and I refer to myself as just that, or sometimes Celtic. And "British" is a broad brush, as I'm sure you're aware there's a large nationalist movement occurring in Scotland and it's been gaining momentum for decades.

the " scots irish " are and were a great frontier spirited people but they were never irish , they saw themselves as british , their ancestors today on the island of Ireland refer to themselves as " ulster scots "

Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I don't think that you guys get it. Anyone who had the overinflated opinion that the Irish have of themselves would be rightfully pilloried by anyone who would bear witness to it. It's not about a parade. It's about a nauseating culture of endless self-congratulation.
that's really not the irish way , irish people are very reluctant to " big themselves up " , I wish we were more American in this way

Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It means basically that Northern Irish protestants are not Irish. I have ulster scots ancestry and they are no more Irish than the man in the moon.

They are presbyterian (totally different religion) and do not care about Irish culture. They see themselves as Scottish and don't have any kind of Irish culture at all. The lifestyle they live is different to a Catholic Irish one.

And you did say your ancestors were ulster scots.

you are correct , id like to reiterate however that the " scots irish " made a lasting impact on the usa , one which is every bit as big as the native irish ( perhaps bigger )

Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
Who do the media speak for, then? If there was no audience for those views, the media outlets wouldn't exist. The national broadcaster of Ireland is reflexively anti-American, as well as the Times and the Independent.
your misinformed , independent newspapers are extremely pro American and pro big business , the irish times is social democratic in idealogy , akin to the guardian in the uk

Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
that's really not the irish way , irish people are very reluctant to " big themselves up " , I wish we were more American in this way
That is my experience as well. Irish people in a lot of ways have an inferior complex so I don't know where number1curmudgeon has got their information from?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Hahah.

Yesterday me and my family were talking about our american "family". Well my mum ranted for about 30 minutes about how annoying Americans were when they aren't Irish. She said "they haven't got a baldies notion about Ireland and I don't know what their obsession is about, they are freaks!".
On the whole I agree with your mother, though, of course, her perspective is that of a born-in-Ireland person...and the tradition she is annoyed with, is essentially an immigrant Irish-American or Canadian-American tradition that is about many things, but - alas - does include those annoying stereotypes and clichés that annoy her. First of all, whether it pleases the Irish (or Italians or whatever), from the arrival of the first huge wave of non-Protestant (and later non-English-speaking) immigrants there developed a very strong tradition in many parts of the U.S. of being a "hyphenated American", i.e. Irish-American, etc.

These groups, of which the R.C. Irish were the first sizable one, were rejected by the native born American population for their Catholicism (and later for Judaism, or because they spoke a foreign language.) Not surprisingly they stuck together like glue, especially in urban environments, and their defensiveness and clannishness made them easily organisable and exploitable by existing political machines for the purposes of block voting. (These machines, ironically, were native-born American Protestant at this time.)

The Irish immigrant reaction was against the mid-19th anti-Catholic, anti-Irish political movement usually called the Know Nothings, who organized into the Native American party and later the American party, and who for a brief number of years seemed a potentially threatening force on the existing political scene. (Already tensed up to the max by the increasing likelihood of an American civil war.)

It didn't take long before these immigrant groups - Irish first, (and later Italians, Jews) seized control of these political machines and were soon voting themselves into all of the major political offices in many cities. To keep the "glue" sticking them together their religion was emphasized as a basic part of their identity, as was their heritage of being Irish. And this was urgently necessary after the Know Nothing movement collapsed, and the Irish had succeeded in gaining control of urban political machines. The ethnic heritage became diluted over generations into clichés that severely condensed and distorted a complicated historical past, and essentially ignored the fact that their forefathers homelands had changed over the years as well.

After the 1960's most of these political machines had lost their clout and these "hyphenated Americans" were more mixed than hyphenated, and had moved to the suburbs. In my childhood, adolescence and early youth it was still a standard identity to call yourself Irish-American, Italian-American, etc., though after that it seemed to finally pass from the social landscape...due in part to the admixture your father referred to.

The term "hyphenated American" was originally coined as a derogatory epithet by native-born American Protestant politicians in the latter part of the 19th century. It achieved its greatest notoriety in the early 1900s when an American president and a major leader of the other party made high-profile denunciations of such hyphenated creatures (mainly the Irish-Americans and the German-Americans.) However, that - and other factors - actually turned the use of the hyphenated labels into badges of pride among those groups that were being denounced for using them. And then 1930's and 1940's Hollywood films and national radio programs found movies and serials about hyphenated Americans were box office hits.

The bottom line, which may be unknown to most Irish in Ireland, is that the crux of this Irish-American identity was sustained by political machines (and emphasized by a preponderant Irish-descended R.C. clergy) and this group identity served these machines well, e.g. Tammany Hall in NYC. They had a very, very strong interest in seeing this identity last (no matter how bizarre and attenuated it might appear to Irish in Ireland) because it gave Irish Catholics (and now other Catholics and Jews) a stranglehold on political power in some urban areas. While it may seem on the surface to be about some bizarre version of Ireland, the history of this identity is distinctly American, and distinctly about manipulating an ethnic and religious identity for generations for the naked purposes of holding onto political power. Too-ra-lura-lura, leprechauns, "Up the republic" and all the rest is a show for March 17th, the purpose it serves is the really big holiday called Election Day when you want to steamroll your opponents with dependable voting blocs.

In places like New York and Boston, a steady trickle of R.C. Irish immigrants did to an unusual degree actually keep dosing this heritage of stereotypes with elements of reality, but their influence was in total rather small and often concentrated in clubs and associations that didn't have much (or any) appeal to those still calling themselves Irish-Americans. There were in NYC, for example, in the second half of the 20th century, a number of scholarly and culturally oriented institutions, libraries, etc. that essentially held themselves quietly aloof from what annoys your mother, and were (and probably are) a rather different kettle of fish.

Quote:
My dad also said an important factor. They will be mixed down to have basically like 10 percent Irisih ancestry. We all agreed that you can only call youself Irish if you have Irish parents.
Your dad is probably more right than wrong, but perhaps not as right as his statistic.

My own family is made up of Irish Catholics on my father's side and on my mother's with Irish Protestants (with the exception of one British Loyalist way back ancestor of Dutch heritage.) My step-sister's families on both side are of Irish Catholic background.

My father's ancestors arrived in Canada four and five generations ago. It was not until my father's generation that anyone in his family married someone who was not descended from Irish immigrants whose children married the children of other Irish immigrants, and their children married the grandchildren of Irish R.C., and their children the married the grtgrandchildren, etc. Having taken up family genealogy as a pastime, I can assure you that its all on paper and not the stuff of fallible "family history."

My mother's maternal family (with the exception of one grtgrandfather who was the Loyalist in the American Revolution) were Irish or Scots who had immigrated to Canada after a brief stay in Ireland. Her father's family were former tenants of the Marquis of Abercorn in Ardstraw parish, Co. Tyrone. They immigrated to Canada, and like my father's Catholic ancestors married only "their own kind" - and its all on paper, generation after generation. And in their case the Orange Order was a major force in eastern Ontario province, and right down to my grandfather, who died in 1942 in the U.S., they continued to belong and to be officers in their lodges.

My mother and father marrying broke generations their families' tradition of marriage, but ironically only to the extent of marrying someone on the other side of the Irish religious divide. Though, of course, there's that grtgrandfather of Loyalist background who thins the bloodline 1/8 on her side.

This many generations of endogamous ethnic marriage is unusual in either Canada or the U.S. (where we ended up finally) for so many generations. It was probably only possible because both family lines lived in areas where the local church and the local schools were dominated by people of their own heritage...thus, it was as much my accident as design.

My first cousins on both sides of the family are breaking the tradition, and a fair number are married to persons of very mixed heritage or at least one that is not Irish. And only a couple, who are interested in genealogy, have any interest in or extensive knowledge of aspects of Irish history.

My step-sister's families immigrated to the town we grew up in in the U.S., some were her Irish R.C. grtgrandparents and the others grtgrtgrandparents. A couple of her first cousins have married outside the Irish descended from Irish descended from Irish bailiwick, and all of her own children have.

Thus, while in general agreeing with your parents' observations, I would point out that the lack of understanding is bilateral and lacking in the nuance of historical detail on both sides.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the " scots irish " are and were a great frontier spirited people but they were never irish , they saw themselves as british , their ancestors today on the island of Ireland refer to themselves as " ulster scots "
I guess there are exceptions in all cases. My mother's family were very, very stern and staunch Presbyterians, who arrived in Canada in 1851 as very aggrieved former tenants of the Abercorns. They, of course, joined the thriving Orange lodges of Ontario and were members and officers for three generations in their new home.

My grandfather, the last of the Presbyterian-Orange heritage preservers, never called himself anything other than "Irish." If the family had Scots origin (or an English one), and I am sure that at some time it must have, it left no mark in his memory nor no comments in any family records, a small family history, nor the Bible they brought with them.

He did, however, refer to "Britain" and the "British Crown" and that was where his loyalty was directed.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I guess there are exceptions in all cases. My mother's family were very, very stern and staunch Presbyterians, who arrived in Canada in 1851 as very aggrieved former tenants of the Abercorns. They, of course, joined the thriving Orange lodges of Ontario and were members and officers for three generations in their new home.

My grandfather, the last of the Presbyterian-Orange heritage preservers, never called himself anything other than "Irish." If the family had Scots origin (or an English one), and I am sure that at some time it must have, it left no mark in his memory nor no comments in any family records, a small family history, nor the Bible they brought with them.

He did, however, refer to "Britain" and the "British Crown" and that was where his loyalty was directed.

their are ancestors of your grandfather in northern Ireland who today refer to themselves as " irish " but its in the very loosest of sense , anyone who is loyal to the british crown is irish in a pretty meaningless sense , I respect their choice to support Britain but I would never ever consider them truly irish , their as irish to me as someone from Fiji or Egypt ( which isn't very irish )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe