Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:10 PM

121 posts, read 110,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
oh dear lord!!!

Do you care to actually point out any inaccuracy in that statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm sure all of my Irish cousins and relatives that were calling our house concerned the day of September 11th "hate" Americans.
I guess that's why they also seem to visit The US nearly every year.

It sounds like your experiences are very personal and maybe is an indicator of the type of people you associate with.
Many Americans have deep ties to Ireland and vice versa.
I don't associate with any of the people who have led me to believe what I do. I have Irish friends, too. Where did I state that every man, woman and child in Ireland has it in for Americans? How are my opinion and your statement mutually exclusive?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
your misinformed , independent newspapers are extremely pro American and pro big business , the irish times is social democratic in idealogy , akin to the guardian in the uk
What do you mean "my" papers?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I guess there are exceptions in all cases. My mother's family were very, very stern and staunch Presbyterians, who arrived in Canada in 1851 as very aggrieved former tenants of the Abercorns. They, of course, joined the thriving Orange lodges of Ontario and were members and officers for three generations in their new home.

My grandfather, the last of the Presbyterian-Orange heritage preservers, never called himself anything other than "Irish." If the family had Scots origin (or an English one), and I am sure that at some time it must have, it left no mark in his memory nor no comments in any family records, a small family history, nor the Bible they brought with them.

He did, however, refer to "Britain" and the "British Crown" and that was where his loyalty was directed.
Its really interesting.

I am about probably 40 percent Presbyterian (well idk but at least 30 percent as all of my grandas family are). But its really fascinating when doing my tree, I didn't expect to find any Protestant ancestry and then my dad said his father converted and then I kept going back and back and even found some in mums family.

I found lots of really strong names like Black, Thompson, Smith, Irwin. As a Catholic it was really quite odd for me at the start to find that ALL of my grandfathers side was Protestant. They signed the ulster covenant, orange order. Done it all. But I honestly don't know what their beliefs were like, my dad said he never talked about that it would be interesting to know.

I suppose they lived a totally different religious life to me so I really don't know. Its almost like a different culture.

My ancestry is very homeogenous only Catholic and Presbyterian. Nothing else.

Last edited by Mac15; 03-31-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Its really interesting.

I am about probably 40 percent Presbyterian (well idk but at least 30 percent as all of my grandas family are). But its really fascinating when doing my tree, I didn't expect to find any Protestant ancestry and then my dad said his father converted and then I kept going back and back and even found some in mums family.

I found lots of really strong names like Black, Thompson, Smith, Irwin. As a Catholic it was really quite odd for me at the start to find that ALL of my grandfathers side was Protestant. They signed the ulster covenant, orange order. Done it all. But I honestly don't know what their beliefs were like, my dad said he never talked about that it would be interesting to know.

I suppose they lived a totally different religious life to me so I really don't know. Its almost like a different culture.
My mother's father's family name was Woods, and with a name like that I suppose their original home could have been anywhere in the British isles before settling in Co. Tyrone...though they preserved not a shred of a rumour where such place might have been. I found their religious sternness quite strange, even given being raised myself in the rather uptight R.C. church of Pius XII era, these people seemed, yeah, I guess like a different culture...but then, they were. Even my grandfather after coming to the U.S. from being several generations in Canada was staunchly anti-Catholic.

The religion twist and turns are so unexpected, found that my father's mother's family started out as "planted" English Protestants in Co. Cork way back, and their conversion was only piecemeal as they married R.C. girls in the 19th century. But, oh was that family ever Catholic! They were in church every time the bell rang.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
their are ancestors of your grandfather in northern Ireland who today refer to themselves as " irish " but its in the very loosest of sense , anyone who is loyal to the british crown is irish in a pretty meaningless sense , I respect their choice to support Britain but I would never ever consider them truly irish , their as irish to me as someone from Fiji or Egypt ( which isn't very irish )
Oh, I think you are quite right. "Irish" to him, I think, simply meant that that was the place where they were from. Origins in Co. Tyrone or no, I think Britain, the Crown was where the identity was without much doubt. Nevertheless, I became surprised over the years that he used "Irish" so easily when it was such a problem for so many of his kind.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:48 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I don't really understand the Presbyterian religion. I know them well and I could spot them a mile away as I have went to school with them but I don't get why they go on like they do.

I understand like the Anglican church but not their religion. It just seems like they are a hardcore regiment who takes the idea of religion to a whole other level. They take the bible so seriously and are so firey. They don't seem to have any fun or happyness its all god god god. Which is fine but not my kind of thing. I tried to understand it and just gave up.
You know the bitterness the plain white walls. Its just too boring and dull for me.

They have this kind of attitute about them. Its hard to describe, its just very distingushed from other Protestants. You would just know to look at them that they were Presbyterian but you can't tell if the other Protestants are Methodist or wahtever.

They really do not like Catholics. I don't know why but my experience is that is what they are. Either its a Northern Irish thing or it is their religion. Just my experience is that they detest anything Catholic (that is changing though with young ones who think its stupid).
They act like they are better than us really. Not my idea of a religion and I don't think it is a nice religion. Which is a shame, the Catholic people are not really any different to them they have the same problems and issues. But unfortunately they are too tied up in their bitterness to be bothered. I have tried and I just gave up, not interested they brand a whole religion of people as one stereotype which is just so untrue.

You can't say anything about their religion or they would literally kill you.

Last edited by Mac15; 03-31-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
I don't really understand the Presbyterian religion. I know them well and I could spot them a mile away as I have went to school with them but I don't get why they go on like they do.

I understand like the Anglican church but not their religion. It just seems like they are a hardcore regiment who takes the idea of religion to a whole other level. They take the bible so seriously and are so firey. They don't seem to have any fun or happyness its all god god god. Which is fine but not my kind of thing. I tried to understand it and just gave up.
You know the bitterness the plain white walls. Its just too boring and dull for me.

They have this kind of attitute about them. Its hard to describe, its just very distingushed from other Protestants. You would just know to look at them that they were Presbyterian but you can't tell if the other Protestants are Methodist or wahtever.

They really do not like Catholics. I don't know why but my experience is that is what they are. Either its a Northern Irish thing or it is their religion. Just my experience is that they detest anything Catholic (that is changing though with young ones who think its stupid).
They act like they are better than us really. Not my idea of a religion and I don't think it is a nice religion. Which is a shame, the Catholic people are not really any different to them they have the same problems and issues. But unfortunately they are too tied up in their bitterness to be bothered. I have tried and I just gave up, not interested they brand a whole religion of people as one stereotype which is just so untrue.

You can't say anything about their religion or they would literally kill you.

Presbyterians are a form of Calvinist , Calvinism is very austere and sober in mindset , of the major protestant denomination , its probably the most suspicious of the church of rome , hence why anti Catholicism was so much more prevalent in northern Ireland and Scotland than in England and wales

Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 PM

79 posts, read 127,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
The overall spectrum of media is a pretty good indicator of how people think, in my opinion. I don't agree with you about Irish people liking Americans as I've spent too much time there to believe that.
I think you're confusing Irish people not liking you with them not liking Americans. You have a very ignorant view of Ireland. We're far from perfect but hating American's is not really top of our list.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacio View Post
I think you're confusing Irish people not liking you with them not liking Americans. You have a very ignorant view of Ireland. We're far from perfect but hating American's is not really top of our list.
I think that it's easier for you to jump to conclusions about me than to have a closer look at yourself. My view of Ireland is anything but ignorant as someone who has spent a lot of time there. Too much time, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe