Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 09:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Yes, yes, your friends in Syria will confirm this.
My 'friends' in Syria? I don't even know what this is supposed to mean! I don't know anybody in Syria? Or is this just yet another reference to war, guns, tanks, bombs, were 'hard' etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
^
Oh, wait. Or do you have no friends other than the former colonies? I wonder why.
Just kidding. I know why.
Lord, you even quarreled with the European Union and left it.
And now, even at the NATO exercises, everyone will have to look at you as at stupid scumbags who are ready to start World War 3 out of stupidity.
Oh I don't know, theres the G7, NATO, The Commonwealth, the Anglo world, India etc etc. I mean to 'argue' with NATO you have to actually be invited into NATO in the first place no? Its not the UK thats being sanctioned left right and centre by the rest of the globe.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Maybe try changing the subject and you will get a different reply? From my experience as a descendent of Russian immigrants, Russians are interested in many subjects as are most other people, if not more so since Russians tend to like to have deep conversations which is probably one of the reasons why this thread is so long. Although the other reason is of course the ongoing conflict with Ukraine and the west which is why topics around war is so prevalent in this thread.

But yes Russians are a very proud people and so are naturally very defensive so that when they get criticised by foreigners they often times take it personally and try to defend their so to speak “honour”, even though they are more than happy to complain and point out the failings of Russia with one another (Russia did have multiple revolutions and rebellions in it’s history after all).

So next time you bump into a Russian and the conversation leads to war, guns, and trucks, then try to steer it to another topic that has a lot of room for discussion, depth and exploration, such as science, philosophy, politics, religion or whatever it is you feel passionate about. but if you are just expecting some surface level engagement then don’t expect much interest from them.
OK, Ill give it a go!

I'm sorry you guys are having increased infection rates with Covid right now - I think its this bloody Delta variant, we have that variant causing us problems here right now too. I hope that you get on top of this sooner rather than later and that it doesn't harm too many people.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:16 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
OK, Ill give it a go!

I'm sorry you guys are having increased infection rates with Covid right now - I think its this bloody Delta variant, we have that variant causing us problems here right now too. I hope that you get on top of this sooner rather than later and that it doesn't harm too many people.
Better tell us what kind of music you like. British make good music and TV series.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:19 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
They aren't posturing easthome. They actually believe in their fake greatness. This is the natural outcome of the generations of propaganda pumped into them to justify their leadership. Facts won't change their minds, as they believe in the alternate reality. We all know the ship went in a straight path and never changed course and nobody shot at it. But they believe that instead their mighty military scared them away with a show of firepower. There are plenty of their own people repeating this lie and they believe in it. They can't admit the truth, that they are a 2nd rate power who did nothing when faced with actual confrontation. Might as well get used to it, this is how it will be as long as the same people stay in power over there.

The covid situation is pretty worrying. The country is entering the 3rd wave and can't get their people to vaccinate even when they are told their vaccine is the best in the world. I hope this wave changes their minds.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Better tell us what kind of music you like. British make good music and TV series.
Personally Two Tone and Ska, what about you? Do you have a favourite Russian band? Let me know and I will find them on You Tube

Old 06-25-2021, 01:46 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
They aren't posturing easthome. They actually believe in their fake greatness. This is the natural outcome of the generations of propaganda pumped into them to justify their leadership. Facts won't change their minds, as they believe in the alternate reality. We all know the ship went in a straight path and never changed course and nobody shot at it. But they believe that instead their mighty military scared them away with a show of firepower. There are plenty of their own people repeating this lie and they believe in it. They can't admit the truth, that they are a 2nd rate power who did nothing when faced with actual confrontation. Might as well get used to it, this is how it will be as long as the same people stay in power over there.

The covid situation is pretty worrying. The country is entering the 3rd wave and can't get their people to vaccinate even when they are told their vaccine is the best in the world. I hope this wave changes their minds.
Still whining that *great Ukraine* has been dumped by Old Europe AND Biden?
I see.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:47 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Why keep bringing up Ukraine on this subject between the UK and Russia? Obsessed much?

The European Union has decided to prolong the economic sanctions against Russia, European Council President Charles Michel said on Friday.

“We have rolled over our economic sanctions against Russia: Moscow must do its part to ensure full implementation of Minsk Agreements,” he said on Twitter.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 4,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How far back do you want to go?
I see here that Russian alphabet has been changed six times.
The most important reforms were made by Peter the Great back in 1708-11.

I have been advised that there were up to 100 'letters' used in the earliest 'Russian' alphabet. Whether that was actually a Tartarian, or a native, dialect is unknown.
Given that some of the earliest references to language were in the Bible, and the Bible says that the tongues were confused to prevent humans from developing too quickly, today we have English which is a fairly recent invention with extracts from many other languages.

Too much ambiguity and disagreement among linguists, historians, archeologists.
What was the Indo-European language? Was it Russian/Tartaryah, Vedic, something entirely other?
Not pictograms, as in stick figures, but an advanced alphabet with far more than we see in any language today. Excepting some few which are rather localized.

Are you aware of a 100 letter Russian alphabet producing a far more complex and expansive vocabulary?

What have you got?

Old 06-25-2021, 01:49 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Personally Two Tone and Ska, what about you? Do you have a favourite Russian band? Let me know and I will find them on You Tube
I wouldn't go there, when it comes to Maxim))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe