Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 06:04 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It was in this post http://www.city-data.com/forum/47799697-post2518.html

(unfortunately the pic is not all that big, but I'll look up for more in that particular area))

I am not a very trendy person))) I just know what I like - the hell with *trends*))))
Cute. You can enlarge the photo a little by clicking on it, btw. Yeah, that's a good, basic dacha. Nice tall trees behind it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Cute. You can enlarge the photo a little by clicking on it, btw. Yeah, that's a good, basic dacha. Nice tall trees behind it, too.
That's the whole point - the trees, the orchard, the berries, the flowers. All behind the fence, where the family can have the privacy, to drink tea from samovar, let children run around, to read in hammock hanging between the trees - that kind of stuff.
I am not all that impressed with that "open space" concept, with puny patch of flowers and green lawn "for everyone to "admire the look of it all" - the kind of stuff that I see in Maxim's pictures. That's more of a worthless show off, comparably to the "real deal" of older times.
Something like this;

http://www.valentinovka.com/sites/de...9239_orig.jpeg

Last edited by erasure; 04-13-2017 at 07:05 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That's the whole point - the trees, the orchard, the berries, the flowers. All behind the fence, where the family can have the privacy, to drink tea from samovar, let children run around, to read in hammock hanging between the trees - that kind of stuff.
I am not all that impressed with that "open space" concept, with puny patch of flowers and green lawn "for everyone to "admire the look of it all" - the kind of stuff that I see in Maxim's pictures. That's more of a worthless show off, comparably to the "real deal" of older times.
Something like this;

http://www.valentinovka.com/sites/de...9239_orig.jpeg
Absolutely gorgeous! And think, with the new-concept type of dacha, where would people raise their vegetables? I guess those are for people who can afford to buy everything at the store....?

Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Absolutely gorgeous! And think, with the new-concept type of dacha, where would people raise their vegetables? I guess those are for people who can afford to buy everything at the store....?
I imagine they can, but I hear a lot of complaints on-line, that the imported produce they buy in stores is not as good as Russian-grown, so god knows...
But yeah, those were the settings of my childhood - what you saw in those pics, and interestingly enough, I picked them from this site devoted to the particular dacha settlement where my grandparents ( and I) used to spend our summers. You know, I wasn't quite aware that that particular location around Moscow was actually famous, because a lot of "Soviet Bohemia" had dachas there too - mostly famous actors/directors from well-known theaters and movie actors it seems. So in a way it's a historic site now, kinda, (or whatever is left from it, since it too is swallowed up by some neighboring growing town, therefore some pics would better explain to Grega94 what he was looking at, on those links he provided us earlier with. ( I mean even the particular link I gave for "Valentinovka" site, shows older dacha settings - the way they looked in the previous century, + few newer/renovated versions of summer residences.)
So yeah, I dunno about those "dachas" with commercialized puny lawns and no fences - the "American style" or whatever it is. Russians with money are trying to emulate "the West" from what I can see, but it destroys their traditional way of life. And I am not sure that it's a good thing.

Last edited by erasure; 04-13-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I meant that people coming from very poor areas in the USSR, did get plumbing only when they could move into the cities.
Yes it is. For many people it is still relevant.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Russians with money are trying to emulate "the West" from what I can see, but it destroys their traditional way of life. And I am not sure that it's a good thing.
People want comfort. While the Soviet Union built the BAM and launched Gagarin into space, Western countries developed technologies for the construction of inexpensive comfortable houses. I think that there is nothing wrong with taking these technologies for service. Learning is never a shame.

And the traditional way of life is not always right and safe. Fragment of a professional builder's post about wooden log houses (sorry, difficult for translation):

Quote:
Теплосбережение. Согласно нормативным значениям, необходимая толщина сплошного слоя однородной древесины должна быть 54 сантиметра. То есть диаметр бревна в срубе нормальной рубки должен быть где-то сантиметров 70. Много вы видели таких срубов??

Можно еще много чего перечислять, но этоосновное.

Да, пытливый читатель спросит недоуменно, а как же так. Вот русские избы же были, жили же предки, и не мерзли, русский Север, Сибирь - строили же хоромины из бревен, и ничего, жили же..

Да, ваша правда любезный читатель, избы на Руси несомненно, строили. Вот только были эти избы у крестьян в основном, и очень небольшого размера, и главным наполнением этой самой русской избы - была русская печь, которая занимала до 1/3 внутреннего объема. И вся жизнь избы была вокруг этой печи, это иместо для готовки, на печи спали дети, вокруг печи на лавках спали взрослые. Ибо чуть от печи - в сторону и уже дуба дать можно. Именно поэтому на Руси заборы строились из жердин, их в лютые зимы просто рубили, и сжигали в печи. Сначала забор, потом раскатывали сараи, потом дранку с крыши, и если уж и этого не хватало - просто вымерзали насмерть. Иногда целыми деревнями. Вот вам именно центральная Русь. Как толькокрестьянин хоть немного "поднимался" - он тут же строил дом каменный.
Классический русский дом - он первый этаж изкирпича, зимний. Второй этаж - сруб, он летний.
Север Руси и Сибирь - строили огромные избы,где в одном объеме был и дом, и сараи с животными на первом этаже, амбар, дровник, сенник. Под 2000 м2 были избушки. Тут иногда бревна внизу и по полтора метра в диаметре встречаются. Там печи тоже были, внутри. Внутренний жилой объем,от улицы был отделен внешними помещениями, с одной стороны "сени", которые служили демпфером холода, с другой стороны - летние спальни и прочие хозяйственные помещения. А зимняя жизнь опять таки проходила возле печки. Но все же посвободнее и потеплее, воздушные карманы летних помещений по краям -были неплохим "утеплителем".
Так что и предки мал-мал кумекали.
pro100dom.org/forum/72-491-1

Houses must be modern and safe.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I am not all that impressed with that "open space" concept, with puny patch of flowers and green lawn "for everyone to "admire the look of it all" - the kind of stuff that I see in Maxim's pictures.
No, it's just advertising drawing. Open space is not Russian way. The fence is obligatory.

Real dachas look something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.0222...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 04-14-2017, 12:33 AM

But those new dachas you were showing us are only dachas, they're not suitable for winter. I'd like to see what Russian construction companies come up with to improve on the izba. There's really not much that can be done to improve on traditional construction for rural villages, unless there's natural gas in the area, and a gas line can be run to the houses, or something.

The Russian pech' was a brilliant invention. I've been thinking about this for awhile. Log houses in the Swedish countryside, which no one lives in anymore, did not have a pech', only a fireplace. You could say that winters in Russia are more extreme, but it gets plenty cold in Scandinavia, too, and I wouldn't want to have to go through winter in a log cabin with only a fireplace. I don't know why the Russia pech' wasn't adopted by Finns and Swedes. Or maybe Finland also had it? Where is Ariete when you really need him?

I suppose the point the architect in your quote was making is that in order for the pech' to be able to keep people warm, the walls of the house have to be super-thick, with logs from the largest, thickest trees. Otherwise, there's not enough insulation to keep the warmth from the pech' in. So if your house wasn't made of thick enough logs, you could freeze to death in the middle of winter.
What about making double walls? If you didn't have big enough trees, you could make double-layer walls. That's what they do here in New Mexico: double-adobe walls. There are even triple-adobe walls. These are houses that are hundreds of years old.

Hmm.... we need to research how people live in Canadian villages in the far North. Well, I can tell you, because a Canadian construction company got a contract to build a children's village outside of Yakutsk. They're modern houses, looking much the same as a typical modest North American house, but the walls, ground floor and ceiling have very thick insulating material, and the windows were double-paned, though they should have been triple, but the budget only allowed for double. And I'm not sure, but I think there was a natural gas line that ran to each house, for heat, and for the individual hot water heaters. The Canadians even set them up with a clothes washer and dryer.

So I guess it's doable. But there needs to be a power source for heat, out in the middle of the forest or the tundra. And heaven knows what they did for a septic system, for the waste water, because it's permafrost out there, so I can't imagine how that worked. I can see that the Western lifestyle consumes much too much water per household to be practical in isolated areas in Russia.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-14-2017 at 12:47 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
But those new dachas you were showing us are only dachas, they're not suitable for winter. I'd like to see what Russian construction companies come up with to improve on the izba. There's really not much that can be done to improve on traditional construction for rural villages, unless there's natural gas in the area, and a gas line can be run to the houses, or something
Electric ovens and good thermal insulation allow living in these houses all year round. But the repair must be of high quality and it is for Central Russia. The northern regions have specific, but I do not know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe