Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM

52 posts, read 76,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I think southern Italian men are shorter, northern taller...

I also think they make up for lack of height by being stockier, big boned.

Are there stats of "stockiness" of various Europeans.

Like, Bulgarians are the stockiest, good weight lifters

Southern Italians are shorter but not much in comparison to the northern. They're maybe 1 or 2 centimeters under the national average and the northern (and probably the central) Italians are probably 1 or 2 centimeters above the national average. Italian men are for example taller than the Austrians and the Italians girls are taller than the Swiss.

The Italian height average for men is 1,778 and 1,646 for the women. The American height average is 1,771 for the men and 1,63 for the women.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:45 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,195 times
Southern Italians are on average a couple of inches shorther than Northern ones.
and if you take the extremes (Furlani and Sardinians) the difference is some 10 cms

Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
As you say in football it's not necessary to be tall. It's written nowhere that the players of collective sport are taller than the average.

One more time, Italians are taller than the Americans and the half european countries. They are amongst the tallest people in the world. If you can't trust a very serious study that makes analysis on period of approximately hundred years like Elifesciences, I can't do anything.
Sure there are short football players but the average football player is:

- thin
- muscular
- young

is everyone like that ? Sure as hell not

I want to trust the study but out of all the dozen of guys which are with me at the university, about 2/3 are shorter than me, and I'm only 5'9 tall.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Southern Italians are on average a couple of inches shorther than Northern ones.
and if you take the extremes (Furlani and Sardinians) the difference is some 10 cms
Where do you find this numbers given that the Sardinians are the people that get taller in the world during the last decades according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and http://people.unica.it/elisabettamar...iod-teoria.pdf.

If there was 10 centimeters between two extreme regions it means that in the "taller" region we would have an average very upper in comparison to nation (maybe 1,88 m) the "smaller" region where we would an average very lower (maybe 1,68 m). If the Friulani were 10 centimeters taller than the Sardinians it means they are on average taller than the Dutch, the Belgians, the two taller people in the world for the men and the Latvians for the women. It's actually not the case. Italians (all the country not only north and center on one hand, south and the islands on the other hand) are on average approximately 4 cm smaller than the Dutch and Belgians. Sardinians have almost the same food quality and environmental context in relation to the Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Sardinians were smaller formerly, like the Dutch for example, because they had a gene with malaria and in the last decades, they canceled this gene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Sure there are short football players but the average football player is:

- thin
- muscular
- young

is everyone like that ? Sure as hell not

I want to trust the study but out of all the dozen of guys which are with me at the university, about 2/3 are shorter than me, and I'm only 5'9 tall.
Exactly you used the good word they're young, from the new generation. Concerning you, I don't know, maybe the guys who are with you are particularly small but in my region the guys and the girls absolutely in generally the average.

Last edited by Anarion; 01-21-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 AM

the guys I go at the university are young and within the 1,66-1,72 range. Several are southerners / central italians. Then yeah there are about 3 guys which are taller than me but they're like 1,78-1,80 tall, so not huge either. They all happen to be from here or from Friuli / Veneto.

Then yeah I also a know a calabrese dude who is 1,92m tall and very heavy, but most of my male friends are like me or not too far away.

I feel shorter when I am in France to be honest.

Obviously the current football team must be taller on average than whoever played in the 1970s.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,058 times
Quote:
the guys I go at the university are young and within the 1,66-1,72 range. Several are southerners / central italians. Then yeah there are about 3 guys which are taller than me but they're like 1,78-1,80 tall, so not huge either. They all happen to be from here or from Friuli / Veneto.

Then yeah I also a know a calabrese dude who is 1,92m tall and very heavy, but most of my male friends are like me or not too far away.

Obviously the current football team must be taller on average than whoever played in the 1970s.
You are among really short people!
My group of friends at the university (born in the period 1991-1993) has a lot of guys taller than 1,80 m. Actually, among us there are probably as many girls as boys in the range 1.66-1.72 m (that for boys looks like "slightly short" and for girls "slightly tall").

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:

In fact you're among short people but the country is not only the 10-20 persons who are with you in your university. In my university (south) I have people from every part of Italy and honestly I'm un the average (approximately 1,81 m).

It's normal that you feel smaller in France. French are the 14th taller in the wolrd (1,79 on average) Italians are 29th (1,778 on average). It's normal you're smaller in compared to the younger.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM

I don't know, I also have friends who are not friends from the university and most are between 1,72 and 1,78 m I'd say. Guys in the 1,70-1,72 range are pretty common, I don't think they would be considered super short in Italy to be honest, given how common they are in Bologna (which has people from everywhere, from Trentino to Sicily).

Also, when I go to see a concert I can easily see the band without being too troubled for not being the tallest person.

I also know several tall girls (1,75 - 1,80 which is quite tall for a girl here), most are young.

In general I'd say that people in Italy have more different sizes / heights / physical body types than in France. And really tall men tend to be on the heavy side most of the time. But being 1,70 m tall is less a problem here, it is relatively normal even for young people, I see young short guys all the time in the street, more so than when I was in France.

Of course I imagine there are many countries where people are shorter, I don't want to paint Italy as a short-people country, but not everyone is particularly tall, that's what I mean. And it is super varied overall.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I also have friends who are not friends from the university and most are between 1,72 and 1,78 m I'd say. Guys in the 1,70-1,72 range are pretty common, I don't think they would be considered super short in Italy to be honest, given how common they are in Bologna (which has people from everywhere, from Trentino to Sicily).

Also, when I go to see a concert I can easily see the band without being too troubled for not being the tallest person.

I also know several tall girls (1,75 - 1,80 which is quite tall for a girl here), most are young.

In general I'd say that people in Italy have more different sizes / heights / physical body types than in France. And really tall men tend to be on the heavy side most of the time. But being 1,70 m tall is less a problem here, it is relatively normal even for young people, I see young short guys all the time in the street, more so than when I was in France.

Of course I imagine there are many countries where people are shorter, I don't want to paint Italy as a short-people country, but not everyone is particularly tall, that's what I mean. And it is super varied overall.

Height average for young Italian men 1,778 and for the young girls 1,646.
In France you have people of the ancient colonies like Netherlands, Belgium, UK. In Germany 1 person on 5 have two countries (majority Turk-German) so they are varied countries too. If you go in Switzerland, you will see that the girls are shorter.

Last edited by Anarion; 01-22-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 AM

Yeah, I mean than in global context, Italians are taller than the average, whereas compared to France they are probably a bit shorter, but also more varied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe