Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It will be German most likely.
yeah, you keep saying that. I don't know why doing that would give you any satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,759 times
Why the hell is there is this obsession of unifying countries? I don't see the point. Small countries such as Switzerland or Luxemburg are doing just fine and are doing much better that the large/enormous countries.

A French-dominated Europe has already occured and failed just like a German-dominated Europe failed. Lets just keep it as it is or dismantle the EU.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 AM

630 posts, read 526,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because 1) China and Japan are great powers already. They don't have only a few million people. Many Chinese and Japanese cities are more populous than 2/3 of European countries. My hometown lone has the population of Austria and Switzerland. and 2) The Chinese and Japanese language have nothing to do with each other - not even the same linguistic family.

Your second paragraph is true in reality, and it is a pity. Only the poor and weak people need to feel "belonging to a nation", because that gives them some petty "pride". But what is the nation?? Do you think the present day France are all the pure french people? no, a large number of them are Spaniards, Italians, Romanians, etc. Even the former PM is of Spanish origin. Is there any tie that bring him and Spain together more than with France? When you become one country, receiving the same education and culture, you belong to the that country. This "I want my own nation with my own people" idea is pretty pathetic, unrealistic and ludicrous. Culture brings people together, not blood, and unlike blood, culture is not genetic. It is what is instilled.

Maybe your hometown has the same population as Austria and Switzerland, but probably Austrian and Swiss people have much greater standards of living than your fellow people. If the UE's goal is economical prosperity above everything else, what's the point of merging already prosperous countries?

Also, Chinese and Japanese spoken languages might now be mutually intelligible, but they share the same writing system. Not a phonetic system like the Latin alphabet, but one where each character conveys a word or an idea. Chinese and Japanese can understand written documents, at least in part. On the other hand, a Dane and a Portuguese might use the same alphabet but are completely different. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, are different but still are closely related in architecture, traditions, religion, manners and even genetically. Why don't they unite in 1 large super country? It wouldn't be unreasonable, they have a lot more similarities than differences. Or is it that nations aren't important only when ours isn't involved?

Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
No, the UK didn't give birth to the US. In fact, it did everything to prevent the US from being born. It is France who helped the US to be born, otherwise, it had no chance in the 18th century.

Stop pretending the UK-US relations are on an equal footing. It is not. The UK lost that pride a long time ago after it decides to be nothing but a small lackey on every issue, and everybody in the world knows that. Just look at the Iraqi war, it is embarrassing for the entire UK nation.
And yet our American family chose to speak English, share Anglo culture and 'god bless them' help the British when the British have needed it, I repeat the British will ALWAYS have the back of our American cousins, whether in Iraq or anywhere else, I am sorry if that upsets you. We share music, TV, film and film stars with our Anglo friends, American or Australian or New Zealand to name but a few. There is a greater sporting rivalry between us and our Australian cousins not matched by anything between us and say Spain, Anglo culture is strong and when you add in the fact that Europeans show very little respect when it comes to the UK (in fact they tend to look down their noses at us) then is it any wonder that Brexit happens and we feel closer to our Anglo brothers despite them being so far away?

Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 AM

400 posts, read 293,067 times
Quote:
And yet our American family chose to speak English, share Anglo culture and 'god bless them' help the British when the British have needed it, I repeat the British will ALWAYS have the back of our American cousins, whether in Iraq or anywhere else, I am sorry if that upsets you. We share music, TV, film and film stars with our Anglo friends, American or Australian or New Zealand to name but a few. There is a greater sporting rivalry between us and our Australian cousins not matched by anything between us and say Spain, Anglo culture is strong and when you add in the fact that Europeans show very little respect when it comes to the UK (in fact they tend to look down their noses at us) then is it any wonder that Brexit happens and we feel closer to our Anglo brothers despite them being so far away?
So you think UK will support all lie based invasions of other countries by US?

Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
ok. it is the European Forum. I am not going to waste time talking about English speaking countries here.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
ok. it is the European Forum. I am not going to waste time talking about English speaking countries here.
Ireland is English speaking and still part of the EU, Ireland has its feet in 'both' camps, both in the EU and an Anglo country to boot.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:00 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
My eyes just rolled out of my head.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
EU will do what world war 2 failed to do? unify europe under a single ruling body?

well, if that's what you guys over there want, but what happens when people disagree with france? i have my freedom fries flag ready

Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtek View Post
We won't never accept anyone ruling us except for ourselves, lol.

Maybe a big union resembling a federation with the government in Brussel ok, but never a French or a German one. We don't see France as a leader, we don't need 3rd party leaders.
so... a local UN? "league of european nations" except when it matters, then it is everyone for themselves

EU seems rather fearful of being at war with each other if they arent unified for some reason. the option to be friendly neighbors but not in bed seems to be gone

is there a reason eu and russia arent at war, russia and india, us and china? no other countries are required to form an economic union to not be at war with each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe