Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 AM

92 posts, read 73,453 times

Advertisements

Never gonna work - we just don't have a common language.
Maybe get back to a simplified version of Vulgar Latin? Esperanto? But I don't think any country would give their language away. Why US and Canada work is because they have territories similar to whole of Europe yet they have a common language and hence more integrated culture and pop culture. Language barrier is a real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 02:08 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriko88 View Post
Maybe get back to a simplified version of Vulgar Latin? Esperanto? But I don't think any country would give their language away. Why US and Canada work is because they have territories similar to whole of Europe yet they have a common language and hence more integrated culture and pop culture. Language barrier is a real thing.
what are you even talking about.

Unlike the EU, Americans and Canadians can't even decide to move to the other country. You even need a passport to enter each other's country. They are not allowed to work in the other country without a work permit. They can live in the other country for a max of 180 days a year (without working) and that's it. If you stay in other country, you lose your healthcare insurance you have in your home country. How is it more integrated than the EU?

In terms of culture, they are not "integrated" either. It is simply the American pop culture completely dominates Canada. Canadian (outside Quebec) singers/actors all simply move to LA in order to have any level of success.

I fail to see how Canada/US "work" better than the EU.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:29 AM

^I beg your pardon, I meant USA and Canada seen separately. As in integration between different US states. Both in LA and NY they listen to mostly the same pop music for example and are first American, then from LA or NY or whatever. In the EU we're first Italian, French whatever and then European. Cultural exchange between one US state and the others is more evident than between different European countries. Here even Spain is in the point of breaking into smaller parts, seems like we're more tribal haha.

Canada is slightly less integrated considering the French part, but outside of Quebec it's mostly all English. But in Europe French artists rarely have hits in the UK and German ones in Italy for example, usually only when they sing in English. British culture is the one most spread out on other countries musically and with movies but that's as far as it goes.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
^I beg your pardon, I meant USA and Canada seen separately. As in integration between different US states. Both in LA and NY they listen to mostly the same pop music for example and are first American, then from LA or NY or whatever. In the EU we're first Italian, French whatever and then European. Cultural exchange between one US state and the others is more evident than between different European countries. Here even Spain is in the point of breaking into smaller parts, seems like we're more tribal haha.

Canada is slightly less integrated considering the French part, but outside of Quebec it's mostly all English. But in Europe French artists rarely have hits in the UK and German ones in Italy for example, usually only when they sing in English. British culture is the one most spread out on other countries musically and with movies but that's as far as it goes.
Different American states belong to one country - the USA, why are you surprised the listen to the same pop music. European countries are different countries with different cultures. You talk as if those Americans states are like individual nations. They aren't. From Vermont to Texas, they are largely the same (not exactly the same with regional difference but pretty much the same). Although Americans will claim the state difference is huge, it is in fact much smaller than regional difference among for example, Sicily and Lombardi, let along different European countries. The US is ONE country with some regional difference, and that's it.

European countries are more integrated than Canada/USA. There is no free movement between the two countries. I'd say they are not integrated at all.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 AM

^Precisely, hence why the EU will never work. How can you have free movement of human capital when most foreigners are not treated well? How is this integration? Yes, as a EU citizen I can travel everywhere in it, but if I decide to stay somewhere I will never be treated as an equal due to my undesirable origin. Just look what kind of articles the Western press posts about Eastern Europeans? They are offensive and xenophobic, ignoring the fact that we are hard working and integrate more than Africans and Middle Easterners. European countries are exclusive cultures, based only on origin and xenophobia is rampant. New World countries meanwhile are an inclusive culture - if you are willing to embrace the local culture, you're cool and embraced. Do you want me to write a book and tell all about the faux "liberal" BeNeLux and all the abuse there to Eastern Europeans, how we are treated? Yet they ignore those less willing to integrate...

Old 10-23-2017, 06:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What drivel from some on the continent.
Hey! Don't blame us on the continent. Botticelli is a Chinese living in Canada.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:55 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hey! Don't blame us on the continent. Botticelli is a Chinese living in Canada.
He lives in France now.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Oh yes, those US-Americans. We need to stand up to them, they're evil, enemy of Europe!! How dare they have aided Europe in getting rid of the Nazis. How dare they have aided in promoting democracy across the continent.

What drivel from some on the continent.
Haha, promoting democracy, lol.
This is probably why the US overthrew so many democratically elected governments in Latin America and supports dictators in Africa and the Middle East?

The former Ukraine president was also overthrown with US help because he was pro-Russia. Is that helping democracy?

The US doesn't care whether it's a democracy or dictatorship. It just wants a government that listens to Washington. We should realize this by now.

Let me put this way: if North Korea were pro-America like Saudi Arabia, the US would not have a problem with its government whatsoever.

Freedom and democracy is just some nice words. Don't but it.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
He lives in France now.
Yes and love this Chinese continent

I wish I had chosen to study in France instead of the US back then.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times
Quote:
Maybe get back to a simplified version of Vulgar Latin? Esperanto?
Perhaps a pidgin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_sine_flexione.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 10-23-2017 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe