Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
A long time ago, China was like EU today, many different countries with different cultures and different languages...
Even today, China still has different regions with vastly different cultures and languages. In fact, there are probably as many languages in China as in West and central Europe. In terms of cultures, the similarities Europeans share is probably no less than that among different Chinese provinces. Of course thousands of years of being under the same government largely increased the similarities, but regional culture and traditions are still strong. There is no reason Europe can't be the same. People often use difference as a reason for EU not being able to fully integrate, really? Do we really think the culture and value of Shanghai is the same some rural county in Northwestern Shaangxi province with 1/5 of its GDP per capita, where most of people have never seen a non-Chinese person? They are probably as different as between Poland or Sweden.

The fact is EU HAS to move forward. It can't move back, nor can it stay as it is. As I said, it is the ridiculous, trivial and senseless "national pride" that gets in the way (ya, my village is the best!). Why can't one keep such pride and convert it into regional pride under a bigger federation just like they do in bigger nations? Europe as fragment as this won't be able to compete with the US or China, or even India in the future. It should have its own government, unified fiscal policy as well as a military (not NATO, which should be disbanded).

Maybe France, Germany and whoever interested should go ahead and do it. It will already be sizable with potentially more than 200 million people. If Slovakia or Croatia want to keep their pride of 4M people, then good luck in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 PM

387 posts, read 380,209 times
France is ready for a united Europe, but sincerely I think unfortunately it is the only one. If Germany does not follow then it's done.

About Europe of defense when we see some european countries buying american while there is strategic and vital european company that could provide for less expensive and ensure our independence...

Old 11-22-2017, 12:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I think Europe should unite if it is ready for the internal strife that the USA deals with, but on a significantly greater scale.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
France is ready for a united Europe, but sincerely I think unfortunately it is the only one. If Germany does not follow then it's done.

About Europe of defense when we see some european countries buying american while there is strategic and vital european company that could provide for less expensive and ensure our independence...
Perhaps if the French start speaking German and would be happy for Berlin to become the capital of the new state (shall we call it Germania) then I am sure they would be interested?

Old 11-22-2017, 02:39 AM

278 posts, read 230,729 times
Bordeux 33.-
Spain is also ready for a single Europe Opposites are just of few minorities of populist aspirations .-

But we must avoid touching ancestral nacionalist feelings .The Capital could not be in Paris or in Berlin.Only in smaller Country,Lisbon.Copenhagen etc.

Vienna perhaps seems very dependon Germany,Strabourg it was only acceptable after of the Second World War.-
Brussels has too many problems of separatism and the worst center of the Muslim problem in Europe.-

There are that have tu be studied well.-

Old 11-22-2017, 04:04 AM

387 posts, read 380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Perhaps if the French start speaking German and would be happy for Berlin to become the capital of the new state (shall we call it Germania) then I am sure they would be interested?
Germany only wants France to align with its economic policy, ie deficit reduction and fiscal discipline. It suits me and it is already underway with Macron. The ultimate goal is that Germany loosen the screw on its public spending and injects a few billion into its economy with its surplus (200 billion). Conversely for France. And all this for future tax harmonization and why not an economic governance of Europe.

For the rest Germany and France share the same geopolitical vision in terms of defense and international diplomacy. Many leading companies are already trans-national, Airbus, Ariane etc.

The problem is that the German leaders are too cautious and Europe is dying of its immobilism. We need a leader who has the courage to make reforms. Either Europe governs or it dies.

salomon : Yes Spain as Italy has always been pro-Europe. The problem is that the crisis has made us lose credibility because of the budget deficit. But it's only a matter of time for Southern Europe to recover.

And for the capital Brussel do not bother me, there is already all institution and I do not see why spent millions or billions to move everything.

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 11-22-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post

And for the capital Brussel do not bother me, there is already all institution and I do not see why spent millions or billions to move everything.
Move it to Lyon, please
Brussels has a bad name already.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Why do all people have to speak the same language? Switzerland and Canada are fine.
Eventually some language will win, but it makes no sense to force people to change language.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Move it to Lyon, please
Brussels has a bad name already.
If you are going to have a German lead superstate called Germania then you will have to have the capital in Germany and speak German surely.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
If you are going to have a German lead superstate called Germania then you will have to have the capital in Germany and speak German surely.
Germany is only economically superior. That's not all that counts. In terms of world influence, military power etc., France offers a lot more. It won't be a German state, but one lead by 3 or 4 big players.

Again, take Canada for instance, it is largely an Anglo country, but Quebec still speaks French and won't switch to English any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe