Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Serbia 5 13.51%
Macedonia 0 0%
Montenegro 3 8.11%
Albania 2 5.41%
Kosovo 1 2.70%
Bosnia & Herzegovina 1 2.70%
Moldova 0 0%
Russia 5 13.51%
Ukraine 7 18.92%
Belarus 2 5.41%
Armenia 0 0%
Georgia 1 2.70%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Other (please specify) 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:44 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Bulgaria received a short stick of being included in EU. It was basically plundered from what I saw and "adjusted" the way it benefited the *EU,* not Bulgaria.
Overall there were two major scenarios of East European countries being included in EU; the first one - scenario of the V-4 - i.e. the Visegrad group
where these four were directly attached to German economy; and then there was the second scenario, prepared for Bulgaria and I believe Latvia and Lithuania.
So silly Ukrainians of the Western part are looking at Poland, thinking that they are going to get something similar, where Eastern Europeans looked at Bulgaria and said "no, thank you."
To be fair the biggest reason was the geographic location. Whoever controls Greece, Romania, Bulgaria controls the access between the 2 biggest continents (Asia and Europe). Remember when the South Stream Russian project was stopped, and now Russia pays more to transfer gas through Turkey. Add to that the chinese "silk road".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:34 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
To be fair the biggest reason was the geographic location. Whoever controls Greece, Romania, Bulgaria controls the access between the 2 biggest continents (Asia and Europe). Remember when the South Stream Russian project was stopped, and now Russia pays more to transfer gas through Turkey. Add to that the chinese "silk road".
This isn't the 1800's. Turkey controls access to the 2 continents but there is no advantage there because trade occurs over the oceans. California does more trade with China than Russia does despite the large shared border.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
This isn't the 1800's.
Exactly, it's not. Back in 1800 Turkey can simply go to its territory in Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia and sell directly to the rich Austro-Hungary. These days...who are they selling to once they pass Bosphorus?
You may trade directly between California and China but the world isn't just California despite it's high purchasing power.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM
DKM

To your other point, even if Ukraine ended up like Bulgaria, this is a massive step forward from where they are now after being stuck in Russia's orbit since independence. Bad news for you: its not just people in Western Ukraine who want to join Europe.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM

I couldn't care less about Ukraine, what makes you think I do? If they want to play their Slavic bullsh*t games and randomly shoot at each other when vodka ends..well it's their business. Even if my views are from the 19th century, western countries should stop using 1960s terminology about "eastern europe". My country has more in common with ME or even Mongolia than with the blond slavs from Rus.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM
DKM

I attributed erasure's post with yours. My bad. You're Bulgarian eh? Macedonia should reunite with Bulgaria, no?

Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Only if they want to...Macedonia is too much trouble for little gain. For example, in WW1 Bulgaria was the country in the world with most soldiers sent on the front...(in terms of % - 25% or one in every 4 people). The goal was Macedonia...and we didn't even win it. These days even their language is getting incomprehensible from ours.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
To your other point, even if Ukraine ended up like Bulgaria, this is a massive step forward from where they are now after being stuck in Russia's orbit since independence. Bad news for you: its not just people in Western Ukraine who want to join Europe.
What do you know about Bulgaria, that you consider this a "massive step forward?"

Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What do you know about Bulgaria, that you consider this a "massive step forward?"
The numbers support my statement. Okay "Massive" was hyperbole... Bulgaria will soon join the Eurozone and that will help it integrate further. So will reuniting with Macedonia, which should be something the countries explore.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
The numbers support my statement. Okay "Massive" was hyperbole... Bulgaria will soon join the Eurozone and that will help it integrate further. So will reuniting with Macedonia, which should be something the countries explore.
What "numbers"? People like you create a universal myths how good it is for everyone to be part of EU, which is far away from truth.

This is from the article written only three years ago;

" Bulgaria has the most extreme population decline in the world — mostly due to post-1989 emigration — combined with a high death rate and low birth rate. There are so few people of child-bearing age here that population statistics project a 30-percent decrease by 2060, from 7.2 million to just over 5 million. In other words, Bulgaria’s population declines by 164 people a day, or 60,000 people a year; 60 percent of them aged over 65. Experts on distribution of E.U. funds cite the high concentration of investments and resources in certain regions at the expense of others as a contributing factor."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.00a6b98bca48

But you are not alone of course in creating this myth, that the "West" represents the ultimate goodness for everyone; the so-called "liberals" in Russia were singing the same song back in the nineties, ( and keep on singing it now.)
However the question is - is this what you really want for Ukraine? This kind of "massive step forward?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe