Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 05:51 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
No they don't. That is part of the regime's propaganda to threaten people with misery if they kick him out. And it is not going to sever ties with Russia anyway. Only pro regime propaganda is claiming this is an anti-Russian revolution. Certainly there are anti Russian people who want him gone, but that isn't what this is about.

That can change if Russia gets involved though.
I was in Arizona a few months ago. I got some great ocean front property there too. Wanna buy it?

Don't tell me there's not powerful forces intent on selling Belarus down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 05:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Dictatorship is best thing that can happen to Belarus. Just look at Russia how powerful and wealthy the country is under great leadership of president Putin.
Russia isn't in the sense of consumerism. Wealth she has aplenty in other ways.

Russia is potentially wealthy, not wealthy in a kenetic sense.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:37 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don’t understand this concept that Slavic countries such as Belarus and Russia need to be ruled by an iron fist? I don’t hear people making arguments for Spain to go back to fascism because of the Spanish miracle under Franco? Belarus and Russia has never implanted a true western style democracy, doesn’t mean it’s impossible. If Imperial Japan was able to adopt it, then I think almost anyone else can too. I agree that Democracy has it’s flaws, but if you have a well educated and engaged society many of those draw backs can be mitigated. With a authoritarian regime you roll the dice and are stuck with whoever you get for a generation or two.

Here is an explanation Grega - this is the reason why it's happening today.
Any "opposition" out there is tied to the US, so instead of the "democracy" they will get essentially colonization.
The "iron fist" with which Russia is ruled for centuries on one hand prevents the colonization, but on another hand doesn't allow democracy to develop.

The only independent ( and unsupported) by the West opposition in Russia today is coming from the left, but Putin and his gang won't let them to share power with them.

In Belorussia things are even more interesting in this respect.

Lukashenko ( who is ruling Belarus with an iron first as well,) and who protects Belorussia from colonization ( because Tikhanovskaya "the opposition leader" = colonization,) actually practices the left-wing economic policies in in his country, the model that is much closer to what both Russia proper and Ukraine need as well.

It allows Belorussians to keep their traditional way of country living ( which is practically destroyed by Putin's corporations in Russia, and is soon to be destroyed by transnational corporations in Ukraine.)

And of course he keeps Belorussians employed at the factories, which is important for Slavs, ( Russians/Eastern Ukrainians) that like to work with technology and take pride in it.

( And that's why I hear from Russians sometimes that they'd actually prefer to have LUKASHENKO as their country leader, not Putin. Ditto - same with Ukrainians, who would drop their comedian for Lukashenko in a heart beat.)
So essentially, if you'd combine "Lukashenko party" with "Putin's party" ( "right" and "left") for starters in Russian state Duma, this would be a good start for Democracy, since the "left" ( Lukashenko in this case) would be controlling the "right."
But Putin and his gang I'm sure will not have any of it, not to mention accepting any independent "left" party coming, say, from Khabarovsk with Furgal at the helm.

And THIS is very telling, now when I think about it.
It's very telling that the problem for all three in this respect - Russia, Belorussia and Ukraine, is still located in Kremlin.

Last edited by erasure; 08-19-2020 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Zhirinovsky predicted that Belarus will become part of Russia before the New year.

Quote:
We bet with the host of Echo of Moscow Alexey Naryshkin on a case of beer that Belarus will become part of Russia before the New year, - the head of the LDPR wrote in his Telegram channel.
Zhirinovsky rarely makes mistakes in predictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LahleiIY0

Old 08-19-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Zhirinovsky predicted that Belarus will become part of Russia before the New year.

Zhirinovsky rarely makes mistakes in predictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LahleiIY0

I am not going to waste my time listening to this clown, sorry, but if Lukashenko will REALLY find himself between the rock and the hard place ( I hope he won't, but IF) - what do you think he will submit Belorussia under - Moscow or Washington?
Let's make a wild guess.

He already declined like (three?) calls from Merkel, who'd like to act as a "mediator" between him and the "opposition."
But they both talk to Putin. ( Merkel and Lukashenko that is.)

Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Oh BS, you are the type that would support the Bolsheviks because you hate the tsar, well guess what, I hate both and me hating one does not mean I suppose to support the other. But that is exactly what you are doing. You criticize regime talking points, yet take opposition talking points as the word of god, yet these talking points are brand new, newly crafted, propaganda BS because they, the opposition, knows they are full of BS also and need to put out some talking points. The Bolsheviks had great talking points also, and well, their actions before and definitely after the Revolution, showed otherwise.

Their debt is nothing compared to what will occur when they get mixed with the IMF, and they will lose their subsidies as well. Their economy will take a dump, and the leadership will enrich themselves and if there is another revolt or "voted" out, they will walk with their money to the EU, leaving Belarus on the hook. T

This has been brewing for a long, long time (I am from Belarus originally, SSR you could say, but have many relatives still there), and there has been an anti-Luka regime lap dance going on for a while, and this is not the first time people have protested.

I see.

I guessed initially that you were somewhere from Ukraine, I don't even remember about the existence of Belorussia for the most part ( until the recent and very strong reminder, lol) so I didn't even take it in consideration - completely missed it.

Quote:
Luka needs to go, but not with these opposition morons coming in his place, I mean come on, Tsikhanouskaya is their main person? It is like a joke or something, lol.
So "Luka needs to go," but when you see this kind of alternative, what do you do?

Old 08-19-2020, 10:55 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Don't tell me there's not powerful forces intent on selling Belarus down the road.
There absolutely are. It is very important to prevent this from happening if possible.

Its not an anti-Russian revolution and there is nothing to gain by presenting it as such. It would only become one if Russia decided to take Belarus by force. Putin would certainly intervene if it looked like an anti Russian force was trying to take over, but he isn't intent on creating an anti Russian force in Belarus. Russia can provide much assistance to a post Lukashenka Belarus including the steps leading to a union state. To pull this off peacefully would be a massive boost to Putin's political fortunes.

Batya still believes he can delay and shut this all down soon. He is very clearly signalling he wants to get people to back down from protests. He threatens them with chaos if he is removed just like he threatens Russia that Belarus will join NATO if he is removed. For the past six days it has been very peaceful but I do worry he mistakens the citizens peacefulness as weakness. He even presented the case that the harsh police brutality was necessary to preserve order... but everybody knows it was to preserve his illegitimate rule because now there is order but protests are allowed.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There absolutely are. It is very important to prevent this from happening if possible.

Its not an anti-Russian revolution and there is nothing to gain by presenting it as such. It would only become one if Russia decided to take Belarus by force. Putin would certainly intervene if it looked like an anti Russian force was trying to take over, but he isn't intent on creating an anti Russian force in Belarus. Russia can provide much assistance to a post Lukashenka Belarus including the steps leading to a union state. To pull this off peacefully would be a massive boost to Putin's political fortunes.

Batya still believes he can delay and shut this all down soon. He is very clearly signalling he wants to get people to back down from protests. He threatens them with chaos if he is removed just like he threatens Russia that Belarus will join NATO if he is removed. For the past six days it has been very peaceful but I do worry he mistakens the citizens peacefulness as weakness. He even presented the case that the harsh police brutality was necessary to preserve order... but everybody knows it was to preserve his illegitimate rule because now there is order but protests are allowed.

What "union state" are you talking about?
What "assistance?"
Assistance to WHOM?

Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I see.

I guessed initially that you were somewhere from Ukraine, I don't even remember about the existence of Belorussia for the most part ( until the recent and very strong reminder, lol) so I didn't even take it in consideration - completely missed it.

So "Luka needs to go," but when you see this kind of alternative, what do you do?
Both, moved between both, but back then it was not thought of as being a significant thing, like the difference between moving to Tennessee or Arkansas, people really do not put much thought into it, ended up in central Asia, then bounced to Russia, then on to the US. I will sometimes slip in my mind and say "Ukraine" where I am from (a lot of my family are in Ukraine still), but I feel I grew up in both places, though back then it was not a "both places" feeling.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:03 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What "union state" are you talking about?
What "assistance?"
Assistance to WHOM?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe