Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 12:50 PM

26,873 posts, read 22,739,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Just like Venezuela's 'leader' Guaido who was trained and funded in the US. She declares herself the president.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status...47306154008576

She did all right, but she couldn't do even THAT in a proper manner.
She announced herself to be ready to be a "National leader" whatever that means.
Sharij dissected her "acceptance speech" and he is basically saying that her "speech writers" and those behind it are clearly of weak mind and lack in department of "professional abilities."

I happen to agree with that - a lot of cliches and generic phrases, nothing of substance.

As for Tikhanovskaya - here is part of her speech; "I know I didn't want to be a politician - all I ever wanted to raise children and to cook for my family ( here comes the excerpt from her cooking video,) and I will keep on sharing my best recipes of hamburgers with you.
But the fate ( and you) made a different decision, and so I am ready to be at the front lines in the fight against the lawlessness.
The fate and you my dear supporters made this decision."

She is still sitting in Lithuania, while her *colleagues* creating some "opposition headquarters" in Minsk, demanding the "transfer of power" to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhzvkDOPfM&t=463s

So now people are joking in the comments ( I already don't know who they are - Belorussians, Russians or Ukrainians - all speak the same language, so..)

"Lukashenko shorthanded himself - why doesn't he offer presidential debates?

He would talk about the industrialization and she would share the best hamburgers recipes with public)))"

"Farewell МАZ, farewell Belaz, ( leading tractor manufacturing factory in Belorussia)

Hello Polish toilets."

( This, beautifully rhymed in Russian, became a new popular meme lately))

Meanwhile, Lukashenko gets his army ready, calls yet another urgent meeting with the members of his cabinet, pointing at the attempt of direct foreign involvement in his state's affairs, and talks the umpteenth time with Putin.)))

Last edited by erasure; 08-18-2020 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 02:00 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,906,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Yeah, quite possibly a stall tactic but he has to see what is coming.

They really need to change their constitution and do it in an expeditious manner.

I suspect your average Belarussian soldier will fight for his country, not for Lukashenko. Maybe the military should step in and kick everybodies asses. Pro, con and Lukashenko himself plus every other politician in the country.

They all have failed.

Get the right group of officers together and enough soldiers willing to fight if need be and they declare martial law. Find a way to create another more suitable government and hand power back to them when its done.

That's one way out of this?
The only good way out is to install a technocratic caretaker government to prepare for fair elections after a couple months. He could bow out now, take his money and live well. I really don't see this happening so we only have bad outcomes left... I'm not sure anybody can do more than guess what the next tipping point will be.

If we look at his words and actions, he seeks to outlast the protest movement. This is because he hopes he can slowly apply pressure on the opposition and present them as dangerous enough to use violence. But to use violence and not cause a civil war, he must pour on the heavy propaganda. The opposition has to be careful not to fall for the trap. Mass strikes aren't likely because many people would prefer to continue working and surviving rather than risk their livelihood.

He has some advantages here. All pro autocrat propaganda from the region is gearing up to convince the population there that doom and suffering awaits them if they insist on his removal. It is already occurring even on this forum, so you can imagine what's going on there. State workers have their jobs on the line now. He also has some state workers who benefit from his system and would lose if it changes so they are ready to demonstrate support. As the economy gets worse, he can blame it on the protests. This tends to work in populations that have a history of only autocrat rule, so it has a chance to work here.

His disadvantage is his violent repression apparatus seems to be broken. If he tries to use it again, it will fail and probably lead to his removal, dead or alive. He can't force the protesters to his will and this makes him look weak to the average citizen there.

I'm really 50/50 about how this goes down. History shows stand offs with their own people can go both ways. Can he succeed in his message that he's their best option forward? Can he convince them that they are going to have a bloody war if they don't change their minds? Who has time to their advantage? Are the protesters willing to engage in civil disobedience?

Last edited by DKM; 08-18-2020 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 02:08 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,453,461 times
Good god, someone please just shut her up.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:29 PM
DKM

3rd casualty of the regime became apparent today. A museum director who was also on the electoral commission refused to sign off on faked numbers. He had a visit from the KGB...He disappeared and now is dead.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:05 PM
DKM

Tonight Lukashenko changed gears, by framing his opponents in this way "Russophobic, pro NATO, nationalists. He cited fake documents showing they want to ban the Russian language and prohibit the Russian church (even though the church retreated from supporting Lukashenko). He is also using pro communist language to appeal to someone (must be some sympathies still there). It's not known if this is an attempt to get Russian support or if this is the support being given by Russia. He is also sponsoring rallies in the most pro Russian cities in the east. So it may be an attempt to draw out his supporters there and scare them into thinking he's their only hope of maintaining ties with Russia.

Meanwhile several cities are completely out of his control. They look like carnivals going on there. No destruction of property, no Lenin statues coming down, no European flags flying... no activities that would match his description of these "rats" that want him gone.

Last edited by DKM; 08-18-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 04:12 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,164,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Tonight Lukashenko changed gears, by framing his opponents in this way "Russophobic, pro NATO, nationalists. He cited fake documents showing they want to ban the Russian language and prohibit the Russian church (even though the church retreated from supporting Lukashenko). He is also using pro communist language to appeal to someone (must be some sympathies still there). It's not known if this is an attempt to get Russian support or if this is the support being given by Russia.

Meanwhile several cities are completely out of his control. They look like carnivals going on there. No destruction of property, no Lenin statues coming down, no European flags flying... no activities that would match his description of these "rats" that want him gone.

From what i gather while reading CNN, it appears that soon Russia will send security forces to Belarus to put down this uprising. Do not be surprise if you soon see armored vehicles on the street from Russia. I am not seeing Lukashenko giving up power anytime soon if ever. China is a good example on how to put down the citizen rebellion.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:31 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
From what i gather while reading CNN, it appears that soon Russia will send security forces to Belarus to put down this uprising. Do not be surprise if you soon see armored vehicles on the street from Russia. I am not seeing Lukashenko giving up power anytime soon if ever. China is a good example on how to put down the citizen rebellion.
Nothing like that is gearing up yet though. I saw when it happened in Ukraine in real time. It took a while and there were agents sent ahead to set the scene, and create justifications for this, so it was easy to see what was about to happen. None of this is occurring at all. I'm not saying it can't though.

I think we are going to come down to some moment when people will try to storm government buildings.
If the revolution succeeds in this way, then you might see some Russians helping people do that in the east where they are already planting some stories about what happened in Ukraine will happen to them so be ready to fight and take control. This would be happening in Gomel, Mogilev, Mazyr and Vitsebsk.

Russian news is what I watch to see where they are signalling to their people how they want this to go and its still quite undetermined.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:48 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,453,461 times
Lukashenko needs to go, but before that, crush these morons out protesting. I desire a change of power and direction, but not via these morons protesting.

I will take that a little back, not everyone protesting, but a good bulk of them with ulterior motives, led/influenced by morons like the blogger's wife who now "claims" to be the new leader.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,509,772 times
Guys, CNNs best can't even reach the least of RT.

TASS says Lukashenko has condemned this new committee as a coup attempt. Ichoros post pointed out the similarities to Gaido and Venezuela, an usurper is deployed. The Poles tried that a long time ago during the time of troubles in Russia. Same tactics used in many places throughout history.

I have to agree on several points. Lukashenko is going to be gone. The problem is how and when. Sooner rather than later most likely but it just gets grimmer either way you look at it if the transition of power is problematic.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:13 PM

26,873 posts, read 22,739,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Good god, someone please just shut her up.

She is people's democratic choice, what's wrong with you?

( Besides, what do you have against good home cooking? )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuIrgK6yqo

Last edited by erasure; 08-18-2020 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe