Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:49 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Beyond the superficial nature of this topic, there’s another interesting thing to consider. When the US declared independence, it did so in part as a rejection of European ideals, especially those concerning monarchy and feudalism.

Yet the ideas that made the American revolution came out of Europe as well. The revolution was ultimately a revolt by radical Whigs driven by the ideas of Hume, Locke, Montesquieu etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 09:02 AM

14,375 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess if we ever thought about Europeans, we'd probably vaguely like them. Unless they acted like jerks.
Yes, this. Nobody likes anyone from anywhere if they act like a jerk. But in order to like someone there has to be more than the absence of negative qualities; there also have to be some positive qualities which you can like.

Northern Europeans have a deserved reputation for being aloof, not "friendly." Actually, they become quite friendly when you get to know them, but it's difficult to get to that point. It's hard to "like" people when they pretty much pretend you don't exist.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:42 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,470,070 times
Europeans tend to have this laughably low-information superiority over America. Even in poor(er) European countries you will hear how their healthcare and education are better than America because it's "free" when their hospitals are woefully inadequate and their national higher education at large receives a tiny fraction of funding of a single prestigious American school. Many would straight up say they "dislike" America because of American politics, as if the American political scene was anywhere near the worst in the world. They also love calling Americans "stupid", "racist" or "ignorant" for electing Donald Trump and not knowing anything about the world outside Ameirca when a) rule of law is actively being eroded in several European countries (Poland, Hungary etc.) and the EU is doing jack**** about it, b) people of colour are far more integrated in the American society than in any European one (except maybe Britain); the European Parliament is as white as it gets while the US Congress and Senate have a ton of POC MPs, and c) they know absolutely nothing about anything that goes on outside Europe. Their holier-than-thou attitude is honestly comical and ironically, truly ignorant.

The most pathetic mentality is that Europeans would say they don't like the fact that America acts as the world police, yet are more than happy to host American military bases to fence off Russia. I am certain that if America suddenly decides to withdraw all troops in Europe you will see Merkel et al. collectively suffer a massive stroke and beg for them to stay with the one leg that still works, lmao.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,575,185 times
^^^^
As someone with 30 years on each side of the Atlantic, I couldn't agree more.
50% of the think tanks in the world are within about 100 miles of DC.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:09 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
^^^^
As someone with 30 years on each side of the Atlantic, I couldn't agree more.
50% of the think tanks in the world are within about 100 miles of DC.

Like the presence of hordes of "policy analyst" pencil pushers in D.C. is something to be proud of...and I say that as someone who counts a good number of them among my personal acquaintances.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Like the presence of hordes of "policy analyst" pencil pushers in D.C. is something to be proud of...and I say that as someone who counts a good number of them among my personal acquaintances.
Yes!

Old 01-12-2021, 05:12 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,856,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Europeans tend to have this laughably low-information superiority over America. Even in poor(er) European countries you will hear how their healthcare and education are better than America because it's "free" when their hospitals are woefully inadequate and their national higher education at large receives a tiny fraction of funding of a single prestigious American school. Many would straight up say they "dislike" America because of American politics, as if the American political scene was anywhere near the worst in the world. They also love calling Americans "stupid", "racist" or "ignorant" for electing Donald Trump and not knowing anything about the world outside Ameirca when a) rule of law is actively being eroded in several European countries (Poland, Hungary etc.) and the EU is doing jack**** about it, b) people of colour are far more integrated in the American society than in any European one (except maybe Britain); the European Parliament is as white as it gets while the US Congress and Senate have a ton of POC MPs, and c) they know absolutely nothing about anything that goes on outside Europe. Their holier-than-thou attitude is honestly comical and ironically, truly ignorant.

The most pathetic mentality is that Europeans would say they don't like the fact that America acts as the world police, yet are more than happy to host American military bases to fence off Russia. I am certain that if America suddenly decides to withdraw all troops in Europe you will see Merkel et al. collectively suffer a massive stroke and beg for them to stay with the one leg that still works, lmao.

Don't disagree with anything you've written, but I see you're writing from Taiwan.

I find it hard to believe the Taiwanese or other Asians don't say similarly stupid stuff about the US and Americans. How integrated are visible minorities in Asia? DOES Asia have even have populations of permanent residents/citizens who are minorities that are similar in size to Europe's?

Old 01-12-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Don't disagree with anything you've written, but I see you're writing from Taiwan.

I find it hard to believe the Taiwanese or other Asians don't say similarly stupid stuff about the US and Americans. How integrated are visible minorities in Asia? DOES Asia have even have populations of permanent residents/citizens who are minorities that are similar in size to Europe's?
I'd reckon with 4B people in Asia (compared to only 500M in EU) there might be a minority here and there.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:05 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,856,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I'd reckon with 4B people in Asia (compared to only 500M in EU) there might be a minority here and there.
I should have been more specific. I know there are, of course, ethnic, linguistic, and religious minorities throughout Asia, who have suffered oppression at times in history.

But racial minorities? I've never read/heard about sizable populations of visible minorities who are permanent residents/citizens anywhere in Asia. If I'm mistaken, how are they treated?

If tens of thousands of Blacks or Middle Easterners, for example, were to settle in Taiwan or China over the next decade, how would the native population respond? Somehow I don't think they'd react well. But I could be wrong.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:06 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,470,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

Taiwanese (as well as Japanese and South Koreans) are very pro-US. People hold the US in very high regards. It's rare for politicians and the public to criticise America for American domestic politics. At most people would criticise America's foreign policy when Washington is too friendly to China and whatnot. The Iraq War for example did not affect the US image in East Asia at all as none of America's major allies in the region were involved in the conflict. Israel is also well-regarded as no one gives two ****s about Palestine here, unlike in Europe.

China obviously is an exception as they are an adversary to the US, not an ally.

I never argued that Asian countries were not racist. I was simply stating the fact that Europeans love pointing their fingers on America about racial issues when they are in no position to criticise.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-12-2021 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe