Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 AM

779 posts, read 597,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh here we go, another Europeans are evil, the rest of the world are lentil eating, peace loving, hippies post!
I know right. If it wasn't for those pasty evil Europeans, Africa and the ME would be the bastions of human excellence, the people would sing, hold hands, and dance in harmony with daisies in their hair. Africa would basically be like Wakanda and the ME, oh boy, they would definitely have colonized the Sun by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,574,065 times
Quote:
Oh here we go, another Europeans are evil, the rest of the world are lentil eating, peace loving, hippies post!
Britain is estimated to have raped India alone, for $45T.

https://medium.com/history-of-yester...a-3abd4ab2a10a

Quote:
As the painstaking statistical work of the Cambridge historian Angus Maddison has shown, India's share of world income collapsed from 22.6% in 1700, almost equal to Europe's share of 23.3% at that time, to as low as 3.8% in 1952.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:02 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I know right. If it wasn't for those pasty evil Europeans, Africa and the ME would be the bastions of human excellence, the people would sing, hold hands, and dance in harmony with daisies in their hair. Africa would basically be like Wakanda and the ME, oh boy, they would definitely have colonized the Sun by now.
For what it’s worth, while European powers did commit atrocities in their colonies, they did a lot of good in moving humanity forward. Europeans bridged the gap between the old and new world, and that’s something that shouldn’t be downplayed, despite the actual problems that arose as a result of it. Europeans didn’t have a monopoly on evil deeds, it just so happened that they were in a better position to carry out their deeds.

Despite all their problems, I’d rather have countries like the UK and US be the dominant powers that shape the world, instead of China or Russia.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,324,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
For what it’s worth, while European powers did commit atrocities in their colonies, they did a lot of good in moving humanity forward. Europeans bridged the gap between the old and new world, and that’s something that shouldn’t be downplayed, despite the actual problems that arose as a result of it. Europeans didn’t have a monopoly on evil deeds, it just so happened that they were in a better position to carry out their deeds.

Despite all their problems, I’d rather have countries like the UK and US be the dominant powers that shape the world, instead of China or Russia.

Exactly!

Old 01-13-2021, 07:00 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,574,065 times
Quote:

1: Care to provide some examples?

2: Of course you would, as would the inhabitants of many other countries, with respect to their own countries.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:11 PM

17 posts, read 13,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Britain is estimated to have raped India alone, for $45T.

https://medium.com/history-of-yester...a-3abd4ab2a10a

I read this book recently, highly recommend-

Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World
https://www.amazon.com/Late-Victoria.../dp/1784786624

Old 01-13-2021, 07:14 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,465,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree.

But what's the difference between European colonialism/imperialism and American imperialism?
America got into the colonial frenzy much later than Europeans, they didn't committ atrocities anywhere near the level of European colonisers. White Americans are responsible for the genocide of native Americans, though.

Quote:
So Ghengis Khan doesn't count, the Japanese don't count and Pol Pot doesn't count, the Chinese don't count but Europeans do, hypocritical much!? lol. If ever there was a good example of blind discrimination you are it! Pot and kettle comes to mind here!
Who says they don't count? I said they are not comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Speaking like a true imperialist.

Quote:
The "culture" Europe exported to their colonies (which is highly debatable and imperialist; the colonies never asked for European culture) does not offset the atrocities they committed.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what I wrote. I simply said Europeans are not in the position to refuse refugees and migrants from their former colonies (as well as regions they meddled in). They are messed up at least partially because of their colonisers.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:52 PM

108 posts, read 87,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Asians are extremely racist and ignorant about race, but I as an individual can absolutely say that Europe is a lot more racist than America.
How can you prove that statement?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:03 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,465,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paypeeto69 View Post
How can you prove that statement?
European Parliament

US Congress and Senate

Self-explanatory.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:46 PM

108 posts, read 87,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
European Parliament

US Congress and Senate

Self-explanatory.
Europe, unlike the USA, is the ancestral home of White people. Aside from some Western countries, non-white people are a tiny minority, in Eastern Europe they're insignificant (other than Roma, but that's a different story). Given that White people make up barely the majority, you can only be surprised at how White the US congress is.

Should European countries be ruled by outsiders to be deemed as "non-racist"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe