Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:19 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I should have been more specific. I know there are, of course, ethnic, linguistic, and religious minorities throughout Asia, who have suffered oppression at times in history.

But racial minorities? I've never read/heard about sizable populations of visible minorities who are permanent residents/citizens anywhere in Asia. If I'm mistaken, how are they treated?

If tens of thousands of Blacks or Middle Easterners, for example, were to settle in Taiwan or China over the next decade, how would the native population respond? Somehow I don't think they'd react well. But I could be wrong.
Another thing is that Asians are not responsible for colonialism like Europeans are. Europeans should be accepting migrants from Africa and the Middle East as those regions are messed up largely thanks to European imperialism. We don't have that kind of moral responsibility as we were either colonised ourselves, or at least were never colonisers (except Japan, and Japan's colonies were just Korea, some parts of China, and Taiwan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 06:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Another thing is that Asians are not responsible for colonialism like Europeans are. Europeans should be accepting migrants from Africa and the Middle East as those regions are messed up largely thanks to European imperialism. We don't have that kind of moral responsibility as we were either colonised ourselves, or at least were never colonisers (except Japan, and Japan's colonies were just Korea, some parts of China, and Taiwan).
Oh here we go, another Europeans are evil, the rest of the world are lentil eating, peace loving, hippies post!

Old 01-13-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh here we go, another Europeans are evil, the rest of the world are lentil eating, peace loving, hippies post!
European empires have poured in a lot of effort downplaying the crimes committed during the age of imperialism that Europeans are largely unaware of the barbaric and horrific crimes their ancestors committed. You should read more books and see more documentaries/films about them.

It is absolutely justified the UK accepts migrants/refugees coming from your former colonies.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
European empires have poured in a lot of effort downplaying the crime committed during the age of imperialism that Europeans are largely unaware of the barbaric and horrific crimes their ancestors committed.
Yeah right, and Ghengis Khan was a peace loving hippie, the Japanese in WWII were just 'mis-understood' and Pol Pot was just a cuddly friendly uncle. I reckon if the Chinese had the sea power the UK had in the 19th Century they would have travelled the world teaching 'peace and harmony' to the locals right? . People in glass houses and all that.

With regards to imperialism or colonialism the ONLY difference between Europe and ANY OTHER NATION ON THE PLANET in those years is that Europeans were really rather good at it. So really I think you need to get off your 'high horse'

Actually there is another difference - Europeans are not imperialistic anymore - the Chinese however...........................?

Old 01-13-2021, 07:06 AM

108 posts, read 87,542 times
Quote:
You notably forgot to mention the Chinese who are responsible for colonizing Tibet and Xinjiang, not in some remote time, but present day.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yeah right, and Ghengis Khan was a peace loving hippie
That was some 800 years ago. European imperialism is very recent in comparison.

Quote:
the Japanese in WWII were just 'mis-understood'
They were fed two nukes. I think they've paid their dues. Pound by pound, Britain should be fed like maybe 5 when factoring in how many lives were lost due to British colonialism.

Quote:
and Pol Pot was just a cuddly friendly uncle.
Well, he did that to his own people, not to indigenous population of other continents, and I don't think Africans or Arabs are in any hurry to move to Cambodia.

Besides, how does the wrongdoing of other countries invalidate the crimes Britain committed?

Quote:
I reckon if the Chinese had the sea power the UK had in the 19th Century they would have travelled the world teaching 'peace and harmony' to the locals right? . People in glass houses and all that.
Well, they did not, so your argument is invalid.

Quote:
With regards to imperialism or colonialism the ONLY difference between Europe and ANY OTHER NATION ON THE PLANET in those years is that Europeans were really rather good at it. So really I think you need to get off your 'high horse'
Well, following your logic, the Nazis were rather good at terminating Jews and committing war crimes all over Europe. I guess it's ok to parade with swastikas in Europe then?

Quote:
Actually there is another difference - Europeans are not imperialistic anymore - the Chinese however...........................?
China is a piece of ****, but that is completely irrelevant to the point here. China being a **** does not make what Britain did in the past any less appalling.

Quote:
You notably forgot to mention the Chinese who are responsible for colonizing Tibet and Xinjiang, not in some remote time, but present day.
China does suck, but poor Africans and Arabs are not their sins. Tibetans, Uighurs and HKers are, which is not pertinent to this discussion.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:26 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:

I never argued that Asian countries were not racist. I was simply stating the fact that Europeans love pointing their fingers on America about racial issues when they are in no position to criticise.
I know you didn't argue that. But you couldn't.

Again, what you say about Europeans is spot on. But I grew up in a city with a huge Asian immigrant population (as well as a huge European immigrant population). Asians, collectively speaking, are extremely racist. I realize that's probably due to the fact that they're not used to the diversity that Europeans and North Americans have been used to for many decades, and that, over time, Asians -- at least those living in more diverse Western countries -- will change.

In the meantime, though, Asians aren't in any position to accuse others of racism.

Incidentally, I agree with some of your views of British imperialism (and I'm a child of British immigrants), but I'm curious as to why you don't hold similarly negative views of American imperialism. What's the difference, exactly?

Every empire throughout history achieved great things while tragically exploiting other nations/peoples.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-13-2021 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I know you didn't argue that. But you couldn't.

Again, what you say about Europeans is spot on. But I grew up in a city with a huge Asian immigrant population. Asians, collectively speaking, are extremely racist. I realize that's probably due to the fact that they're not used to the diversity that Europeans and North Americans have been used to for many decades, and that, overtime, they'll change.

In the meantime, though, Asians aren't in any position to accuse others of racism.
Asians are extremely racist and ignorant about race, but I as an individual can absolutely say that Europe is a lot more racist than America.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Asians are extremely racist and ignorant about race, but I as an individual can absolutely say that Europe is a lot more racist than America.
I agree.

But what's the difference between European colonialism/imperialism and American imperialism?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
That was some 800 years ago. European imperialism is very recent in comparison.

They were fed two nukes. I think they've paid their dues. Pound by pound, Britain should be fed like maybe 5 when factoring in how many lives were lost due to British colonialism.

Well, he did that to his own people, not to indigenous population of other continents, and I don't think Africans or Arabs are in any hurry to move to Cambodia.

Besides, how does the wrongdoing of other countries invalidate the crimes Britain committed?

Well, they did not, so your argument is invalid.

Well, following your logic, the Nazis were rather good at terminating Jews and committing war crimes all over Europe. I guess it's ok to parade with swastikas in Europe then?

China is a piece of ****, but that is completely irrelevant to the point here. China being a **** does not make what Britain did in the past any less appalling.

China does suck, but poor Africans and Arabs are not their sins. Tibetans, Uighurs and HKers are, which is not pertinent to this discussion.

So Ghengis Khan doesn't count, the Japanese don't count and Pol Pot doesn't count, the Chinese don't count but Europeans do, hypocritical much!? lol. If ever there was a good example of blind discrimination you are it! Pot and kettle comes to mind here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe