Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 02:41 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,948,255 times

Advertisements

I’ve worked in Switzerland(the German part to be specific) and from my experience they expect:
- cleanness and tidiness all the time, especially in the bathroom and restroom.
- everything should be well maintained and repaired: no broken appliances, lacking maintenance like loose or scratched wallpaper, holes in the walls, dripping faucets, broken toilets, etc.
- toilet paper should be plenty available and restocked every day.
- clean towels and bed sheets every day.
- food quality is very high in Switzerland. It may be hard to provide them with the food quality they expect in the US. Anyway, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. Don’t even think of offering them processed food.
- Internet speeds are very high in Switzerland, I wouldn’t dare offering them anything less than 200Mbit/s.
- the Swiss are used to everything being close and walkable and to good and punctual public transportation. They may be disappointed if your AirBnB is in an inconvenient location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:13 AM

11,664 posts, read 12,769,170 times
Don't try to impress them with cheese either, lol.

Perhaps, add a couple of packages of Taro chips to their welcome basket.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:37 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,657,266 times
It's nice that you want to be welcoming but they should be coming here and acclimating to U.S./Hawaiian culture, not the other way around. Just like it would be vice versa. Keeping your place clean and tidy and being kind is standard for any home hosting. A Swiss-German or French greeting will suffice.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:56 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,307,922 times
Default Drink...

I have Swiss friends, and family living in Switzerland... 'not sure what they'd do in the US, but we always met in Isla Mujeres, and the Swiss like to drink!

Old 12-12-2021, 11:52 PM

62,023 posts, read 87,719,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Hello all. We run an Air BnB rental on the island of Hawai'i. Any time I have international guests from countries of which I'm not familiar, as an attentive host I like to try to get some information regarding whether there are any unique expectations of these visitors.

I have some guests arriving from Switzerland in a few days and was wondering if there are any expectations they might have that wouldn't normally occur to my US sensibilities.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe this helps?
https://www.commisceo-global.com/res...country-guides

https://blog.atairbnb.com/hosting-international-guests/

Last edited by elnina; 12-13-2021 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 12:08 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,174,430 times
Thank you everyone for your insights. Our guests have been wonderful and enjoying themselves. Probably the biggest hurdle has been providing information regarding distances and air/water temperatures and me having to clumsily convert to celcius and kilometers. Ah, good old US and our refusal to embrace the metric system

Old 12-13-2021, 04:39 AM

131,039 posts, read 12,240,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Thank you everyone for your insights. Our guests have been wonderful and enjoying themselves. Probably the biggest hurdle has been providing information regarding distances and air/water temperatures and me having to clumsily convert to celcius and kilometers. Ah, good old US and our refusal to embrace the metric system

Online calculators make it easy. If they are using a car to get around, giving them miles instead of Kilometers would be easier, as the car dashboard will be in miles. If they are walking then landmarks are useful. As for the air temps, stick a hand out the window lol

Old 12-13-2021, 07:21 AM

26,885 posts, read 38,178,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
- food quality is very high in Switzerland. It may be hard to provide them with the food quality they expect in the US. Anyway, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. Don’t even think of offering them processed food.
The highest food quality in the world is available in the US. One just has to seek it out and pay for it.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:21 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The highest food quality in the world is available in the US. One just has to seek it out and pay for it.
There's virtually no high food quality in Seattle or WA in general. And why is someone from Quebec promoting US food?

Old 12-13-2021, 01:37 PM

131,039 posts, read 12,240,918 times
Well they are staying in Hawaii, so I expect they can eat some fresh fish & fresh fruits. COming from a land locked country, that might be a treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe