Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 02:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,556,877 times

Advertisements

Swiss are Swiss,they expect everything to be on time,as planned,else the whole day is spoiled and they feel miserable as hell.
Dont expect a tip either,they are frugal people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 02:48 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Swiss are Swiss,they expect everything to be on time,as planned,else the whole day is spoiled and they feel miserable as hell.
Dont expect a tip either,they are frugal people.
Why would Air B&B owners expect a tip? They've already figured out what they need to charge to make it worth their while and cover their expenses. Tips are for (typically underpaid) service employees, not business owners.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:50 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Well they are staying in Hawaii, so I expect they can eat some fresh fish & fresh fruits. COming from a land locked country, that might be a treat.
I had a Swiss e-friend for awhile, who spent her annual vacation going to parts of the world that were wide open spaces, like Tibet's Chang-thang plateau, the Gobi Desert, and such. She said, that being cooped up in a country that was nothing but narrow little valleys in-between gigantic walls of mountains, you get desperate for open space.

Not to mention--ocean, I imagine. But the Chang-thang and Gobi aren't known for proximity to ocean air and tropical fish.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would Air B&B owners expect a tip? They've already figured out what they need to charge to make it worth their while and cover their expenses. Tips are for (typically underpaid) service employees, not business owners.
I am a business owner,I welcome TIPS

Old 12-13-2021, 06:11 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,174,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Online calculators make it easy. If they are using a car to get around, giving them miles instead of Kilometers would be easier, as the car dashboard will be in miles. If they are walking then landmarks are useful. As for the air temps, stick a hand out the window lol
It only became problematic when I took them diving and we were trying to rectify underwater signaling for remaining air supply (in the US, we use PSI, EU uses bar), so that was interesting

Old 12-13-2021, 07:34 PM

26,886 posts, read 38,178,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's virtually no high food quality in Seattle or WA in general. And why is someone from Quebec promoting US food?
I am not promoting anything. I am being honest.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,339,441 times
We've been hosting international guests for 30+ yrs.
Displaying their national flag is always a welcome greeting. (next time) Many have been traveling for months and like to hang around our home and enjoy the nice view.

Our Swiss guests often enjoy cooking for us and sharing their local recipes.

We keep a Raclette cooker handy (Brought home from Switzerland)
https://www.10best.com/interests/foo...eese-and-meal/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette

We usually get a fresh salmon from tribal fishery if in season. They love seeing a 3ft salmon hanging over a 2ft grill. Eating it is enjoyable too.

Fresh or frozen berries (They enjoy our local foods too) in Hawaii... that would be seafood and fruits (and coffee).

No tips expected or accepted, our guest home is free, as it always has been. (including the food).

Loved those thick, down comforters while living in Switzerland, especially during December!
Sauna was nice too.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:04 PM

everything is so expensive in Swiss Land,they expect you to function like a Swiss watch,be very on time,be efficient and competent and dont expect any compliments.
SERVE SWISS FONDUE,saves money !

Old 12-13-2021, 10:23 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,174,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We've been hosting international guests for 30+ yrs.
Displaying their national flag is always a welcome greeting. (next time) Many have been traveling for months and like to hang around our home and enjoy the nice view.

Our Swiss guests often enjoy cooking for us and sharing their local recipes.

We keep a Raclette cooker handy (Brought home from Switzerland)
https://www.10best.com/interests/foo...eese-and-meal/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette

We usually get a fresh salmon from tribal fishery if in season. They love seeing a 3ft salmon hanging over a 2ft grill. Eating it is enjoyable too.

Fresh or frozen berries (They enjoy our local foods too) in Hawaii... that would be seafood and fruits (and coffee).

No tips expected or accepted, our guest home is free, as it always has been. (including the food).

Loved those thick, down comforters while living in Switzerland, especially during December!
Sauna was nice too.
I like the idea of displaying our visitors country's flag. Our Swiss visitors had just spent 2 months driving across the US and came from Los Angeles to stay with us on the island of Hawai'i. They were looking for some peace and quiet and ended up booking additional nights with us. So we seem to have met their expectations

Old 12-14-2021, 01:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I like the idea of displaying our visitors country's flag. Our Swiss visitors had just spent 2 months driving across the US and came from Los Angeles to stay with us on the island of Hawai'i. They were looking for some peace and quiet and ended up booking additional nights with us. So we seem to have met their expectations
And you had SNOW!!!

Bet the guests did not expect THAT!

Drag out the down comforters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe