Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 12:00 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We run an Air BnB rental on the island of Hawai'i. Any time I have international guests from countries of which I'm not familiar, as an attentive host I like to try to get some information regarding whether there are any unique expectations of these visitors.

I have some guests arriving from Switzerland in a few days and was wondering if there are any expectations they might have that wouldn't normally occur to my US sensibilities.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 01:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Hello all. We run an Air BnB rental on the island of Hawai'i. Any time I have international guests from countries of which I'm not familiar, as an attentive host I like to try to get some information regarding whether there are any unique expectations of these visitors.

I have some guests arriving from Switzerland in a few days and was wondering if there are any expectations they might have that wouldn't normally occur to my US sensibilities.

Thanks in advance.
Punctuality is important. As is cleanliness.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Punctuality is important. As is cleanliness.
As they should be to anyone . Thank you for the insight!

Old 12-09-2021, 06:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
When I stayed at a B and B in England, there was always tea and a tea kettle in the room. I get what you're saying.

Don't expect a tip. Do expect them to want things to be quiet at certain times, especially after 10 pm any night, or on Sundays.

You may want to put a little plastic trash receptacle at their breakfast table.

Don't even try to impress them with any chocolates - LOL.

Many Swiss are accustomed to recycling - everything.

Address how and when and all that regarding the laundry.

I agree with other posters who say be sure to be punctual and clean.

Enjoy! I am sure they will be pleasant guests!

Old 12-09-2021, 06:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post

Thanks in advance.
A lovely thought, you seem very kind however I reckon that you will find that they don't have any unique expectations.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:02 AM

Remember that they are coming here to experience US culture. So relax and enjoy them!

Old 12-09-2021, 08:25 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I stayed at a B and B in England, there was always tea and a tea kettle in the room. I get what you're saying.

Don't expect a tip. Do expect them to want things to be quiet at certain times, especially after 10 pm any night, or on Sundays.

You may want to put a little plastic trash receptacle at their breakfast table.

Don't even try to impress them with any chocolates - LOL.

Many Swiss are accustomed to recycling - everything.

Address how and when and all that regarding the laundry.

I agree with other posters who say be sure to be punctual and clean.

Enjoy! I am sure they will be pleasant guests!
LOL! Ain't that the truth! Hilarious. But so true!

Good point about quiet times, too. No housecleaning/vacuuming on Sundays, or do it when they're away from the facility.

Interesting thread. Good post, too.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! Ain't that the truth! Hilarious. But so true!

Good point about quiet times, too. No housecleaning/vacuuming on Sundays, or do it when they're away from the facility.

Interesting thread. Good post, too.
Thank you!

Old 12-09-2021, 07:48 PM

Thank you all for your insights. Some of it may have come across as pretty common sense, but our goal is for our guests to have the best experience we can possibly proved, so a little homework helps me.sleep better at night.
There were definitely a few things that wouldn't necessarily have occurred to me-quiet time in the evenings, recycling everything.
So again, thank you all.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:28 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Are they coming from the French speaking part of Switzerland or the German part?

I’ve found Swiss culture to be VERY different in say Neûchatel vs Luzerne. But an overall fairly reserved populace that prefers to keep to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe