Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to move to Europe?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 51 20.99%
I like where I live. 30 12.35%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM

839 posts, read 735,080 times

Advertisements

Yes! I fell in love with Europe when I backpacked around the continent for 3 months. I would go back in a heartbeat. I am now in the process of quitting my job to do a working holiday in London at the end of this year or the next. Wish me luck!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM

324 posts, read 669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
I want to ask Americans and Canadians would you like to move to Europe..?If yes where and why..?
Absolutely! I would leave NYC for London without thinking twice. I would want to live there for about five years and then move back to NYC.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
absolutely, I work for the federal gov. and am always trying to obtain a foreign post position in Europe. What is not to love? The history, culture, archetecture, the countryside, old world charm, the "live and let live" attitude of Europeans. What amazes me is what they find appealling about the U.S.?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
the "live and let live" attitude of Europeans

Urban legend . Total urban legend . Don't know where it comes from
(by the way : I've been living in Paris...for 54 years)

Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 308,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono983 View Post
I would pick Australia or Canada over Europe. Europe is xenophobic towards non EU nationals and even towards themselves. The French dislike Spanish people. The Spanish dislike the Portuguese. The Germans hate the Brits. The Scandinavians believe they are superior, and the Euro Russians are so xenophobic they even believe the other Europeans are monkeys. I don't blame them. They are countries who weren't formed/created by immigrants. New world countries with a high GDP per capita are the best locations to start a new life.
Sound like your the Xenophobe not us Europeans.

Well my country is made up of Pre-Celtic peoples from Iberia/North Africa, Gaels/Native Irish (Celtic Culture), Viking/Norse, Cymru-Norman (Welsh-Norman mix), English, Manx, Highland/Island Scots (Irish Gaelic-Pict-Viking mix), Lallander Scots (Border Germanic Scots & Northumbrian English), Flemish, Spanish from the Armada who sought refuge in allied Rebel Ireland, French (3 different influxes, some French with the Cymru-Normans, Hugenots [French Protestants], Republican French who stayed after a French expitionary force to liberate Ireland was defeated after initial success, Palitine Germans, Jews, Irish travellers, Dutch.

Many of the above groups arrive in Ireland around the same time as early immigration to the American 13 Colonies and early years of the United States, so don't presume they are too long ago to be relevant.

In fact the first First President of the newly Independent Ireland (Irish Free State) was an Anglo-Irish Church of Irelander (Anglican) and the second Taoiseach (Primeminister) was a Spanish-Cuban-American.

In more modern time we have had huge influxes of Polish, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, British, Nigerians, Kenyans, Russians, Indians, Chineese, Brasilians, Qubecois, Ukrainians, Arabs, Central Asian turkic peoples, Mongolians, South East Asians, Romany Gypsies, Americans, Canadians, Spanish, Turks, French, Dutch, Germans, South Africans, North Africans, Albanians, Serbs, Australians among many many others.

A melting pot, but maybe our ingredients mix over time, even in the troubles in the North half the idiots fighting to reunite with the rest of Ireland where of British dissent and on the other side loyalists idiots where often of Irish descent, so mixed people don't know what their ancestors where. A true melting pot

Thats just one small island off the Coast of mainland Europe, now imagine the diversity and immigration, migration and colonisation accross the European continent.

If I where to choose another European country to live in The U.K. & France would be top of my list. I wouldn't mind trying Poland, I have become more interested in Poland since the huge influx of Poles to Ireland in the last 5-10 years.

Last edited by Born&BredIrish; 04-05-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM

241 posts, read 742,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No, I would not. Europe has too many issues to count. I'd much rather deal with my own country's issues and stay where I know best. I've been to France before and it wasn't anything that special and certainly didn't create a lasting impression on me. Especially after my camera was stolen on the subway by some pickpocketer. Ever since then, I have vowed never to return to France again. I will visit different areas of Europe hopefully in the future. But as living goes, I don't think so.
Please list a few then. Like another person said, you can find pickpockets in touristy areas of nearly any major western city.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM

209 posts, read 680,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
Please list a few then. Like another person said, you can find pickpockets in touristy areas of nearly any major western city.
At least pickpockets don't threaten your life. Get mugged in DC and you might get a gun drawn on you.

I know which experience I'd prefer.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM

209 posts, read 680,107 times
To answer the OP, I would absolutely move to Europe if given the opportunity. In fact, I'm in the process of applying for a Danish residency permit as we speak.

That said, having lived in Europe as a child and visited several times since, there are certainly things that I prefer about the US that I would undoubtably miss if I were to make the plunge.

I think it goes without saying that while the US is far from perfect it does have plenty going for it.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM

178 posts, read 523,853 times
I like where I live in Montreal. You have amazing European influenced food and lifestyle, without the deathly beurocracy and taxes. Sure the beurocracy and taxes are there but for example, getting a cars and opening your business are easy to do.

The cold winters don't stop people here either, we have a huge electronic music culture here, almost everyone I meet here hates any other city in North America and deathly into electro. Yup Europe without Europe

Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM

324 posts, read 573,728 times
I would take any country in Europe in a heartbeat. I used to live there for over 30 years.
If I had the choice and knew the local language, I would pick southern Europe in winter, and probably Austria/Germany/Swiss in summer.
Southern Europe mainly for the climate, A/G/S for the culture and proximity to Alps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe