Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Well, the thread is about the foul stench of smokers. And really, are there that many people who smoke still? I havent seen anyone smoking in a LOOOOOOOONG time. That could be due to me hanging with mostly health conscious people and a few blocks over in Calabasas outdoor smoking is outlawed in common/public areas.
A week or so ago it dawned on me that I had not seen anyone smoking a pipe in years. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone holding a cigar too. Cigarette smokers are more common. I see cigarette smokers every other day or so. But their numbers are dwindling.

I'm almost 60 and many years ago when the habit was popular, I smoked. I never realized until I quit how much cigarette odor smokers carried on their clothing, in their hair, etc. What also probably added to my noticing the odor was that since the 70s there are fewer smokers, consequently the odor of people who do smoke stands out.

Anyway, I can get on an elevator and I can tell by the odor if a smoker had been on the elevator in the preceeding few minutes. And of course the person had not actually smoked on the elevator. If I'm around someone smoking for any length of time, I can smell a hint of the odor on my clothing the next day.

Having said all of that, I really don't think inhaling the odor is unhealthy. And although I don't like the odor, my nose has come across worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Smokers sure are sensitive when their filthy habit gets put down! To be fair, I was the same way when I was a smoker. My question is: how is this a witch hunt when each of you have opened this thread within your free will? It's not like you are being roused out of bed in the dead of night and thrown in the lake to see if you float or drown... now that's a witch hunt. If you can't take the heat of this thread, log off and find something else to do.
It's really not a matter of this. It's the constant put down of others who have an ADDICTION that is legal.

Look, I am all for putting the tobacco companies out of business, for real. That would eliminate my smoking. I don't defend it, but I do get sick of people bashing others for doing something LEGAL and especially when I only smoke in my house, my car, and am respectful around others who can easily sidestep it.

And I quit for 15 years and was NEVER as nasty as some posters in this thread.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 PM

113 posts, read 193,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Amen, IrishTom, a bunch of wimps, and I am not surely among them.
Ditto!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
It's really not a matter of this. It's the constant put down of others who have an ADDICTION that is legal.

Look, I am all for putting the tobacco companies out of business, for real. That would eliminate my smoking. I don't defend it, but I do get sick of people bashing others for doing something LEGAL and especially when I only smoke in my house, my car, and am respectful around others who can easily sidestep it.

And I quit for 15 years and was NEVER as nasty ass... some posters in this thread.
Well on the internet I know, people get bashed for...and this is just on C-D.
Being a single mom
Working a wal-mart or a similar job
having bad credit
Going through the foreclosure of their house
being fat...

and all of these behaviors are legal. Do what the rest of us do: pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Grow a thicker skin or stop participating on forums. You will be judged for the things in your life you choose to reveal to others online; that's the way it goes. If you see a thread topic that may upset you or make you feel like a victim, don't open it. That's how I do it, and trust me this system works.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Well on the internet I know, people get bashed for...and this is just on C-D.
Being a single mom
Working a wal-mart or a similar job
having bad credit
Going through the foreclosure of their house
being fat...

and all of these behaviors are legal. Do what the rest of us do: pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Grow a thicker skin or stop participating on forums. You will be judged for the things in your life you choose to reveal to others online; that's the way it goes. If you see a thread topic that may upset you or make you feel like a victim, don't open it. That's how I do it, and trust me this system works.
I am not upset nor do I feel like a victim. I will defend what I believe to be fair.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
I am not upset nor do I feel like a victim. I will defend what I believe to be fair.
I will now make an announcment concerning myself that others believe to be true about themselves... I am the guy that the entire world should be listening to for advice and moral guidance.

I will now proceed. First, I agree that if there's something that ruins a person's disposition, be it a internet forum topic, a lousy movie, or an aunt who is a pain in the ass, then it is best to avoid that something.

Anyway, I have a lady friend who absolutely hates even the hint of second-hand smoke. She won't confront the guilty smoker, but she'll get teed-off for a few minutes. I once smoked, so though I notice casual tobacco smoke floating in the air, I don't let it bother me. I have a friend who is a smoker and now and then some total stranger will stop and briefly lecture him on the habit. He told me, with a bit of agitation in his voice, that one of these lecturers was an overweight woman. You can guess my friend's repartee.

Many years ago when I was smoking, I went to a hockey game in this large, indoor arena. There wasn't much of a crowd and I was by myself smoking a cigarette when a man many rows away motioned to me to put out my cigarette. Smoking was permitted in the arena at the time so I couldn't figure out what the guy's problem was. Then he hollered to me across the empty seats that the smoke was bothering him. I waved my hand at him in dismissal and continued to smoke my Marlboro, after all, the smoke was not within fifty feet of his lungs. But again he bellowed at me to extinquish my cigarette. Well, at that point I had had enough. I held up my cigarette for the man to admire, then gave him the finger. The digit finally quieted him.

I've never forgotten that persistant, anti-smoking hockey fan. To me he remains proof that there are people who, for reasons of their own, do not want to see anyone smoking, whether the smoke actually bothers them or not.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Years ago I knew a foreman that smoked a pipe.

One day they put a new woman in the department next to his.

She saw him with the pipe and called her foreman over to complain that the smoke was making her sick.

One problem though...........the foreman with the pipe had quit smoking it a few weeks earlier and was just in the habit of walking around with the unlit pipe in his mouth!

That is why I never believe people who claim cigarette smoke makes them sick............they just have an agenda.........that is all.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Years ago I knew a foreman that smoked a pipe.

One day they put a new woman in the department next to his.

She saw him with the pipe and called her foreman over to complain that the smoke was making her sick.

One problem though...........the foreman with the pipe had quit smoking it a few weeks earlier and was just in the habit of walking around with the unlit pipe in his mouth!

That is why I never believe people who claim cigarette smoke makes them sick............they just have an agenda.........that is all.

I grew up with asthma and suffered asthmatic bronchitis at least once a year until I left for college. I was always active in sports, but the asthma definitely made it challenging. (I was on inhalers and oral meds.)

I got to college and started running. I had no problems breathing! I assumed I outgrew the asthma, although I did seem to have difficulty everytime I returned home for breaks.

It wasn't until I was in my 30s that it dawned on me (after hearing my parents hacking up a lung during coughing ****) that my father's smoking (pipe) was probably the biggest culprit.

I love my father, but he and his habit wreaks. My mom loves to buy clothing for my kids, but the stench that lingers in them is just horrible. Both my sister and I (separately) have even told her that when she's giving gifts to family or friends, she should keep them in the trunk of her car as opposed to home because the odor is rather unpleasant and unfortunately, it would be the first thing the gift receiver would notice.

Perhaps your coworker had an agenda, but if you don't think cigarette smoke makes you sick, that it's just an agenda, then you're in denial.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I will now make an announcment concerning myself that others believe to be true about themselves... I am the guy that the entire world should be listening to for advice and moral guidance.

I will now proceed. First, I agree that if there's something that ruins a person's disposition, be it a internet forum topic, a lousy movie, or an aunt who is a pain in the ass, then it is best to avoid that something.

Anyway, I have a lady friend who absolutely hates even the hint of second-hand smoke. She won't confront the guilty smoker, but she'll get teed-off for a few minutes. I once smoked, so though I notice casual tobacco smoke floating in the air, I don't let it bother me. I have a friend who is a smoker and now and then some total stranger will stop and briefly lecture him on the habit. He told me, with a bit of agitation in his voice, that one of these lecturers was an overweight woman. You can guess my friend's repartee.

Many years ago when I was smoking, I went to a hockey game in this large, indoor arena. There wasn't much of a crowd and I was by myself smoking a cigarette when a man many rows away motioned to me to put out my cigarette. Smoking was permitted in the arena at the time so I couldn't figure out what the guy's problem was. Then he hollered to me across the empty seats that the smoke was bothering him. I waved my hand at him in dismissal and continued to smoke my Marlboro, after all, the smoke was not within fifty feet of his lungs. But again he bellowed at me to extinquish my cigarette. Well, at that point I had had enough. I held up my cigarette for the man to admire, then gave him the finger. The digit finally quieted him.

I've never forgotten that persistant, anti-smoking hockey fan. To me he remains proof that there are people who, for reasons of their own, do not want to see anyone smoking, whether the smoke actually bothers them or not.
Ok, and there are people in the grocery store who don't want to see fat people with Twinkies in their cart. So what? I say let them eat Twinkies.

Caveat - unless they have children to feed who need nutritious food and are paying with food stamps.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I grew up with asthma and suffered asthmatic bronchitis at least once a year until I left for college. I was always active in sports, but the asthma definitely made it challenging. (I was on inhalers and oral meds.)

I got to college and started running. I had no problems breathing! I assumed I outgrew the asthma, although I did seem to have difficulty everytime I returned home for breaks.

It wasn't until I was in my 30s that it dawned on me (after hearing my parents hacking up a lung during coughing ****) that my father's smoking (pipe) was probably the biggest culprit.

I love my father, but he and his habit wreaks. My mom loves to buy clothing for my kids, but the stench that lingers in them is just horrible. Both my sister and I (separately) have even told her that when she's giving gifts to family or friends, she should keep them in the trunk of her car as opposed to home because the odor is rather unpleasant and unfortunately, it would be the first thing the gift receiver would notice.

Perhaps your coworker had an agenda, but if you don't think cigarette smoke makes you sick, that it's just an agenda, then you're in denial.
I don't know. I had a friend who told me for three years she never minded me smoking. It was ONLY AFTER a rabid anti-smoker criticized me that she (former friend of three years) told me she'd "gotten sick" after being in my house. Is it my fault she was either a chicken or a liar?

And, quite honestly, her slamming of me for smoking (and stealing my gold necklace) didn't do much for me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness